FFB Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KW Studios, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yep, already tried both of those; I left it at zero.

2. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I have a TM TX 458 Italia. I cannot set the wheel up anywhere near close to the "recommended" settings for example Steering Force Intensity between 100-150% as p[er the OP . At those rates the clipping is so insane the clip meter turns from mid peaks to 100% vertical and horizontal lines and the wheel feels utterly terrible like the wheel is imitating the sword in the stone. Same goes for the lateral setting "recommended 100-200% " thats beyond un-reasonable for this wheel. I have to cut the intensity down to 60 MAX for it not to clip and run lat and vert no higher than 60 although mine is set at the default 40/60

Is the TX weak or is mine broken?

3. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    (Fun fact: clipping levels as you see them in the in-game FFB meter are wheel independent, even though A LOT of people think what the meter shows depends on which wheel is connected and how it is set up.)

And if you ask me, the "recommended settings" are fairly over the top, though not as much as the settings Alex posted recently ;) I was expecting a VERY different result when I was trying Alex's settings. Which only shows you how incredibly subjective the FFB settings are.

4. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Regarding clipping, SimCommander can monitor clipping - both from the game signal and hardware to account for it when creating a Auto-tuned wheel profile for the AccuForce. Ideally, this type of approach would be available for all wheels but, short of having that option, I prefer to swap ends by eliminating soft-clipping (Game-FFB signal) by using the game-FFB strength as the primary gain setting - not the hardware strength.

For example, with both my steering systems, I always have the output (Wheel-driver) at 100%; then I adjust the game-FFB output (gain / strength) to suit my preferred steering torque. In theory, that insures that I won't experience clipping and the systems are powerful enough to allow good margin.

That works perfectly and reliably with more powerful wheels but, there are limitations for less capable ones. The hardware simply may not be robust enough to convey the FFB effectively beyond a certain point but, it's still best to always eliminate soft-clipping first, and then assess the hardware limitations and adjust that output accordingly.

There's not much point in adjusting FFB gain on either end (software / hardware) beyond the point where it's effective but, it's important to realize that there is more than one way to experience FFB clipping. Finding a good balance generally improves the overall FFB quality but, soft-clipping always travels down-stream to the wheel, no matter how good the hardware.

5. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    This is a great thread for the FFB. I like a little bit more aggressive and stronger FFB just so I can trick my brain and believe that I am driving a real car.:D (OSW)
    Some posts are referring to how difficult or complicated FFB in Raceroom is. Despite the fact that RR is my favorite sim and fav FFB, I have to admit.... yes t is very complicated and nothing like any other sims.

SPECS AND SETTINGS:
    OS Win 7
    OSW Augury Kit (Small Mige 130 ST-M10010) 10.000ppr

Note that changing the steering rotation may have an impact on overall force feedback feel. Also, remember that you can increase or reduce the FFB strength per car in Multiplier if required.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    You don't use simucube ?
    can you share your rcs file ?
    Thanks

7. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    @Turtle Power, I wonder how your setting feels at the porsche competition??

8. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I dont use simucube but i wouldnt mind trying. I got it to what i like and have no desire to change. I could only try simucube.
    Exuse my poor knowlegde, what are the rcs files?

9. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I can test it out later and let you know

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Rcs is here
    C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I see.... will do.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0

Attached Files:

13. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Thanks you

14. GrimeyDog

GrimeyDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    CSW v2.5 FFB settings...
    I use on Wheel FFB @50% and all Feels Great:D

When setting at the wheel FFB Strength for a Fanatec wheel what most people don't realize is the PC FFB Gain is controlled from the On wheel FFB setting ... Why??? ---> because there is No Gain/Strength setting in the PC Wheel Control panel settings to adjust...So it seems to reason that Fanatec wheels are always set to out put their Maximum power and the wheel strength depends on How High you set the On wheel Gain/ FFB because it Replaces the PC Control panel Gain/ Strength output setting.

Yes I know Many will argue and still follow the all wheels Must be set at 100% power at the wheel rule but with Fanatec wheels this rules does Not apply.;)

Fanatec wheel users Don't Knock it until you try it... You Might just be surprised....post what you think.

Note: Fanatec wheels from My testing If you adjust FFB Strength by lowering Steering Force intensity you get dead unresponsive spot in wheel center.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Does Simucube works on any wheel and is it free to use?

16. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    ????

17. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    No, it won't work with any other wheel. SimuCube is Firmware and Hardware that serves as the platform exclusively designed for the SimuCube version of the OSW DD-system by Granite Devices. The FW is free to owners of the SimuCube Controller but, not useful for others.

What would be even better is to have SimCommander available for use with other steering systems. There is much we can do that to add more detail and customization in FFB but, I don't know how useful it would be with mainstream hardware. Such support requires collaboration between the competing manufacturers and that is very unlikely to ever happen.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  18. GrimeyDog

GrimeyDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    There Must be a Major FW difference between different wheel makers... Im really wondering How Much More Feel I can put in the Fanatec v2.5... the FFB feels Very Alive and Brilliant... Much more Feel than i get with Pcars2!!! also using Buttkickers with Regular Audio (No Sim Vibe) just plugged into My Astro A40 Mix amp the Rumble Strip, Curb and Bump feel is Thunderous!!!... I read Sim Vibe users saying that the Buttkicker feel is Not Good or Barely Noticable:eek:

19. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Normally, SimCommander can provide more detail in FFB than other system but, RR is the only title I'm aware of that doesn't produce them. Even iRacing FFB offers more surface detail with the AccuForce and some telemetry-FFB added. PC1/PC2 and Dirt Rally can all provide ridiculous levels of surface texture and bumps - far more than anyone would desire so it's just a matter of finding one's preference. rF2 / AMS / AC / ACC generally provide very good surface detail and aren't likely to need anything added to the game-FFB in my experience although, front grip-loss & tire-scrub effects are very subtle in ACC with both DD-systems.

Myself and others have inquired about this issue (RR) in the SimXperience forums but, we have not received any official response as of yet. I will also ask the SimuCube developers to check into it again but, I suspect it may require more people to request further investigation on the part of DD-wheel providers.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  20. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    how far are you with your test? ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.