Problem Major power understeer on all cars (some its worse than others)

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by RWB 3vil, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I Finally discovered what was the cause of this under steer ( because it started happening again)

The setting that is causing my unnatural under steer is the Steering Rack setting. At 100% (default) the wheel feels superb (FFB feeling). After tinkering a bit as I was suffering under steer again even after all this the SR setting set below 50% made the wheel feel responsive during turn ins especially on corners that sharpen over time. Its really noticable. Eg AMG GT3 on turn 4, with the default SR at 100 the car will not grip on the late part of the corner despite inputs and requires coming off the throttle entirely. With 30-35% which is where I settled on after much trial and error the wheel feels less crisp compared to 100 ( more dull/heavy) but steering input is more responsive and I can keep turning properly (unless I over do it) and the car responds instead of under steering on its own accord (excluding being too fast).

Im not sure if its some weird limitation with the Thrustmaster TX and how FFB mixtures can cause this wheel to feel poor with SR at 100 but as mentioned above lowering the SR setting makes a very noticeable impact on cornering capability for this wheel

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This is bizarre. I think I have mine set at 80 so I may have a play and see what difference it makes. I still don't understand how it could cause understeer though as all the game really cares about is the wheel position (rotation). The ffb is just there to give feeling. In theory at X speed with Y steering angle there should be Z grip level. The physics of the game don't change with ffb settings. Weird.

3. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    The steering Rack FFB setting has no effect on the actual physisc of the car. You changing this setting may mean that you can "feel" what the car is doing, may be you can now feel the under steer starting so you lift off or something but again those ffb settings will not change they way the car behaves. Thy just may help you feel how the car is behaving

4. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    could be but at 100 it was very clear compared to 30 that i needed more input just to make the same corner.

as i said above, is it some weird glitch with the tx wheel, or maybe mine in particular.

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what it is worth, but as I use TM wheel, I thought I share settings.

I'm definitely not the fastest, age alone makes me slower, but you can see one of my times at leaderboards 2:02.547 190E Nurburing GP (forum requires 4 posts before posting a link, I have 8 posts and that error message prevents me to post a link)

Have video instead of link, you can see how I missed weight transfer at every corner and battled understeer as a consequence of that.

TM control panel:
    Rotation 1080 degrees
    Overall 75%
    Constant 100%
    Periodic 100%
    Spring 0%
    Damper 0%
    Auto center set by game

Then in game settings:
    upload_2019-1-12_15-9-56.png upload_2019-1-12_15-10-11.png

Ones that are not shown at the bottom are 0%

Of course my wheel is very low end T150 and better wheels probably need better settings.

Steering rack I set to 0%, seemed to provide best feel.

Understeer I'm not sure if my setting is strongest or weakest end of setting.

Slip effect was mostly annoying, like pneumatic hammer on wheel, steering rack just did not make much sense, not sure why, but it seemed to just confuse me.

I don't like very strong FFB, so incar steering settings I have usually 1.6 to 1.8 FFB multiplier and with DTM I think I have 900 degrees set in garage, steering lock is something like 30 I guess, can't remember exactly.

Car specific steering lock seems to set wheel rotation for me so control panel can be 1080.

Then at graphics settings I think there was checkmark set to match steering wheel rotation to vehicle set or something along those lines.

I don't really have complains about FFB, it is ok, I used to drive without FFB with G25 in other game as FFB was too slow in chicanes, might test without FFB in Raceroom too, maybe that helps me to get more constant times like with G25 years ago, ah there is no hope for me anymore, I just have fun slow way :)

Anyway, idea is to have minimal and most informational forces as my low end wheel has limits, maybe someone else finds such settings enjoyable, works for me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    After all the discussion on here I've spent a couple of hours messing with my settings. You're definitely onto something here regarding steering rack. Having it set lower seems to smooth out the loss of grip feeling, I found on 100 steering becomes vague through the corners and feels understeery so you get out of the throttle to compensate.... However....you don't have to, if you ignore the feeling it will go round just as fast. Having said that I do now prefer it lower (settled on 40). I found that with it lower you lose feel for bumps and kerbs, as a result I increased the vertical load and kerb effect settings. It feels absolutely great now.

I will just add that I tried it on 0 and on 100 and could achieve the same laptime with both if I just concentrated on line and braking points etc. I even turned ffb off to test with no ffb which feels weird as hell but again....laptime is very similar.

My conclusion from all this is that the settings don't affect the grip/understeer/laptime but do affect how you react to certain feelings at the wheel, this obviously varies from person to person and probably explains why some find issues where others don't.

It's been interesting....and I now have even better settings for myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I settled on 30. As for losing bumps and kerbs whilst i could set the vert up higher from 40 , it would make my wheel clip so i compensate for small increments to minimum force.

I also noticed that to get a true feel of the changes I need to restart the track

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah my wheel clips quite a bit (G27), however I do this for fun and not having the bumps takes away from the immersion for me. It probably does make me a bit slower but as I mainly do singleplayer due to time constraints I'm not too fussed. Really need a new wheel at some point but will stick with the old girl until DD prices come down significantly.