Popularity of Raceroom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fufsgfen, Jan 19, 2019.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is growing:
    https://steamdb.info/app/211500/graphs/

rFactor 2 is not so much, but is still more popular:
    https://steamdb.info/app/365960/graphs/

Might be that Raceroom overtakes rF2 in stats if this keeps up.

I'm guessing that most here also might have rF2, so it is super small crowd that keeps genre alive. AC I count different genre already, it has bit different approach I think, but that of course has much more players.

So with peak players of around 700 this week Raceroom is not hugely popular, useless horrible totally wrong handling in GTAV gets over 30 000 players even at quiet time and it is beyond me how anyone can drive those cars without having vein to rupture in their head.

That has always been bit of an issue, there is so small amount of people who seek difficult over easy, but those who seek difficult know how much more it gives.

However in it's own category Raceroom looks like to be improving and growing quite well.

Thing with i in name, I do not want to mention, oh c.......

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I have RF2 and RRE and I find RRE much superior personally. To me it has the best physics going around. Any online races I do with RRE.

If I'm not playing RRE, I go back to the old favorite of GTR2.

(BTW, Could their be anymore abbreviations in one post?? ;) )

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's good to see RR gaining ground. Although I play other games/Sims this is my go to game mainly for the single player side (time constraints). There are so many good sims at the moment that players are spread between them, with some overlap obviously. The content in raceroom for me is 2nd to none. Where else can you play a full touring car or DTM season for example.

I think of the game is to make big steps in the future they need to get more up to date official series licences, think GT masters, IMSA, Aussie supercars as people undoubtedly like to run in as near to real life races as possible. And obviously a big overhaul of the multiplayer to bring in some kind of licence/progression/safety system, this has been mentioned in the past and we may be seeing the start of it with the competition class system.

I like the way that sector 3 work, each feature is thought about fully before implementation which results in a very polished product, even if it does mean a long wait for some features. I hope I'll be playing raceroom for a long time yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure rF2 fans would point out that Raceroom player numbers include those playing the free version of the game, though my guess is unlike say Live for Speed, they are a small minority in Raceroom. The player counts are surprisingly volatile month on month, but I would agree with your assessment that player numbers in Raceroom are increasing. As long as Raceroom is growing I wouldn't worry about overtaking rivals. Just as December 2018 had Racerooms highest average player count, it also had rF2s highest average player count. I think growth in the sector is a good thing for all of us and AC also had its highest average player count in December, and PC2 player numbers were also very healthy.

While the popularity of GTA is surely no surprise, what I find staggering is the popularity of truck driving sims - with peaks of over 40,000 in ETS2 recently. I know ETS is more than simply driving a truck but what are racing sims doing wrong?

Also on the easy versus hard topic - my guess is most GTA players are not using a wheel. If sim racers were really looking to do something hard, we should be driving our sims with a gamepad :)

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I really don't think you can compare GTA V with any racing sim on the market. About the one and only similarity they have is that there are cars in them. They are very different games from very different genres aimed at very different markets. GTA isn't about simulated car handling, it's about Hollywood car handling, guns and explosions.

To be honest, I don't think you can compare truck sims with racing sims either. Similar genre maybe since they're both simulators, but to me it's like comparing R3E to X-Plane. They're aimed at very different markets. Truck sims are aimed at people that want to chill out and relax while driving, not those who want maximum speed and an adrenaline rush. It doesn't surprise me that sims like ETS would get higher daily player numbers than R3E. In this age where most of us work all day, I imagine a nice, chilled evening in a truck is often more attractive than wrenching a car around a race track. (It has been to me of numerous occasions!)

Anyway, it's good to see R3E on the rise. It's certainly my go-to sim... in fact, it's the only track racing sim I have installed right now. Love the full classes and car selection, love the tracks, love the physics. It'll take a lot to drag me over to something else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    … that's why I have been supporting these guys since 2013. I am convinced of their project, which will offer you a longer-term and cheaper racing fun in comparison to other time-limited racing sims like "Project CARS" or "Assetto Corsa" with a date of expiry.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I think that racing sims don't even compare to ETS2, because how much effort racing sims do require, while in ETS2 you just set braking intensity to max and your overweight special transports stops on it's tracks, in racing sims you have to learn basics of braking, turning, then turning while braking, meaning of apex and so on.

Add to that requirements of hardware, without wheel it's kinda hard to be consistent at the limit, there are surprisingly small amount of people in this world that are willing to put so much effort to something like computer game, some put less effort to their job!

So it is kinda natural that driving game that does not require effort at all is very popular while something that requires pretty close to same level learning of advanced driving techniques as racing on real race car on real track tends to get few users less.

ACC, PC2 I have not tested, I have tested PC2 demo and I could not connect with the car, same with iRacing, pretty much have experience from all major sims since MSX era, I like that there is variety, even games that I can't play it is nice that some find them enjoyable, but I have issue with some claiming huge realism when simple scientific test reveals deviation from behavior witnessed IRL.
    Still I don't require ultra realism, as long as it is convincing and I can enjoy from it.
    In fact, after running after better realism from said MSX era, I have came to think that bit unrealistic might actually be fine too, maybe I need restoring of faith or something :D

Anyway it is great to see how things are progressing now after years of work, 1 year ago I can say I totally disliked Raceroom when I tested it, but there has been improvements, or then it is my head that is starting to be rather soft (well that is truth too), but looking the graphs it looks like something has been done right way as during the year there is clear growth :)

edit: I wonder why @FeltHλt disagrees with Raceroom growing.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  8. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 2
  9. [RWB] FxUK

[RWB] FxUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I tried Raceroom quite some time ago and just didn't get on with it, I can't remember the specific reasons at the time though, but I do know I shelved it and never looked back, until recently.

Just before xmas, our group decided to give it a go and jump back in, frustrated with numerous small issues in PC2 (incidents caused by lag, disconnects etc). Needless to say, it caught hold of us and reinvigorated the excitement. It didn't take long for organised races in Raceroom to start taking over those what would have been in PC2. Now, its pretty much our main nightly racer, with a lot of members now owning the full roster of cars and tracks. Although, it's still lacking a few things we as a community would like to see in order to maintain our clubs ethics etc, it's a fantastic sim.

The sound, the physics and the ffb, to me at least, are on another level. I'm hooked!
    P.S Not tried the "i-r" sim personally because I'm not a fan of renting a game / sim.

So whatever changed in the last couple of years, have certainly made a huge difference (imo), it just needs people to give it a second chance. I also don't think the fact that it's quite expensive when bought via steam compared with getting vrp from one site and redeeming on a different one (official sites of course) helps much. A bit confusing to newcomers.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Have to echo Fx's^^ sentiments here, after running a club for 10 years and raced most of the sims out there (except i-robbing) I have to say the RRE has really nailed it lately, I, like Fx tried it over 12 months ago and though it was OK but not for me so continued with PC1 and then PC2 but recently have been hooked on RRE for whatever reason I don't know but it works!

The online side of things works great as I am not an offline player and never have been but our first full blown league on Saturday with 25 racers was some of the best close pack racing, sweat inducing, heart pumping racing I have ever done and left a big grin on my face after the race, recently getting a buttkicker and the glorious sounds coming from RRE just give me goosebumps!!

One downside which I think needs to be addressed is the lack of control over the server and the ability to be able to remove the idiots that plague our public servers, the league side is fine as it's locked but we race a lot of daily public and it's a way to meet new clean racers who may want to join our club and if they come into our servers and see these people wrecking then it reflects badly on us as a club as we ran clean servers in PC2 and people knew it and came back a lot and we gained a lot of members who now play RRE with us.

Overall though this is my go to sim now and for the foreseeable future, keep up the good work guys ;-)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    This topic has gone from simple to very interesting? Surprised that GTA V was mentioned in this forum. :D

Here are my 2 cents:
    I am a hardcore fan of GTA series especially GTA online but for different reasons and definitely not for driving. Driving is fun and it suits the game genre. Obviously, it was never meant to be compared to any other driving game or sim.:D

Before I got sucked into the world of sim racing, I was watching youtube videos (most memorable is "Inside Sim Racing"). And then, Raceroom caught my attention with the incredible sound, violent and detailed force feedback and amazing natural-looking graphics. No such thing as the best racing sim but for me personally I say Raceroom is the best. I love Raceroom, the mothafuka is a kick ass.
    I am confident that the popularity will grow every day as long as the developers keep us up to date with the new improvements, bug fixes and keep up with the quality workmanship as they usually do. Also, we users/ fans need to be a little bit more considerate and patient cuz sometimes we live up to high expectations and want more and more things from RE3 that may not be possible to deliver at once. All in all, no surprise if the popularity suddenly goes up.

As for the ETS2, this is a wonderful simulator for chill and relaxation. I play it regularly. Beautiful scenery and well-designed driving engine. It has large community support and modding capabilities so people are coming up with some great creations. Surely it doesn't belong to a racing category.

Regardless of how popular they are, I am most interested in Raceroom and ETS2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Realistic or not I don't care. As long as the car feels RIGHT and CONNECTED with the driver....that is what I am looking for :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I think he mostly disagrees with your ridiculous comparison with GTA V.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Might be, but Mafia II still holds up well in driving illusion department compared to that horror :D

15. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Any clues what two games are installed on my PC in my steam account. RRRE and ets2. You are not alone...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    yeah cool, I will keep it as is. I don't mind installing more games/sims but what's the point if I don't really like any other. Maybe in the future, if ACC gets better I might give it another go.

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand this euro truck thing. Isn't it a bit boring pretending to drive a truck....56mph for 3 hours at a time.... Hmmm

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Lol, Farming Simulator anyone?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I tried both ets2 and ats, it was ok for a little while but found i ended up driving like a lunatic to my destination just to get to the challenge of parking the trailer.

20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Automobilista is worth a look. I don't really race on it but hooning around in the caterhams is great fun.

• Agree Agree x 1