Problem Disappointing VR performance.

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Lole, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Lole

Lole New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I play R3E with an Oculus Rift since one year. I upgraded my computer with a RTX 2080 and I get shitty performance. Framerate is often at 45fps (ASW), even if I race alone. My ingame graphic settings are Medium/low, default supersampling ("-vr" in launch option). GPU usage nerver go past 61% when I hit 90fps. When ASW turn on I get between 37 and 49% (approx).

I don't think my CPU bottleneck performance as it's an i7 8700K. But with FPSvr I noticed that "CPU frametime" is often more than 11ms. I have way better performance with AC and RF2.

Thanks

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    both of which arent dx9

Andi

3. Lole

Lole New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I get the same perf as with my old 970...

4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    What Supersampling do you have in SteamVR?
    And look at OpenOVR for Raceroom here in the Forum.
    Just a hint. Get rid of SteamVR.

5. ChristianKA

ChristianKA New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Try to disable the shadow options in menu. With shadows my 9900k cant reach 90fps in every situation. Without shadows and most other options high its no problem.

6. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I mean no offense - but we are repeating this subject weekly - So I am just pointing you to a link here
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/vr-broken-now.12550/#post-169559

SteamVR is likely your culprit. I suggest rolling back versions (takes 10 minutes to do sadly) - you can find step by step info on the steamvr forums on how to do this - there are even direct links for the version that worked (back in October).

7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I had to trawl through ten pages of threads to find the old version for SVR for a roll-back. To spare others from this hassle, you can find instructions and the download here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Good solution, but I really do not know why using SteamVR for Raceroom, when OpenOVR does it much better with no impact on the system.

What nerves a lot is: Oculus Home Starts - Raceroom starts - SteamVR starts - Play
    With OpenOVR it is: Oculus Home Starts - R3E starts - Play

IMHO the best solution for Oculus users. Unfortunately I think, it can't be used by users with another HMD. But I really don't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Because this method does not work for me. It seems to work for most people, but a small minority just end up with a black screen when using OpenOVR. I've mentioned it in the main thread.

10. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oh, okay. I've forgotten that or misread it. Sorry!

But in general this is the way to go, I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. deceda

deceda New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Specially downloading the file in your link, gave me a real boost in smoothness of any sim I am driving. o_O
    Thank u very much for sharing! Although I would like to know what has been changed, so the frames went significantly down with the newest SteamVR versions? ...

Edit: Using WMR here.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  12. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

Correct, as stated above - they try to auto calculate gpu useage on the fly - I think they are trying to force the need for asw to turn on. This has been going on since nov. Developers will not respond on their own forums on the matter and have released no less than 5 updates since - none of them addressing the issues -

I thought openVR was actually made/designed for non oculus users, seems odd this wouldn’t work for only oculus users - I may check this out in the future.

For now if you roll back steamvr make sure you turn back it up - steamvr is pervasive and will auto update over it - simply delete the update and restore you back up.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  13. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    To bad there is only premium download available anymore.

14. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Click on the link in post 7 above, then on the link to the reddit post, and there is another download link there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So guys, I really need your advise:

With my PC (i5 4690, 1600 Mhz RAM 8 GB, Geforce 1070) I can drive with almost everything except shadows and reflections on high. But with two downsides: SS only 1,6 and ASW 45 FPS all the time. It runs really good with ASW.

What I want to have is a PC that can handle more SS to get rid of the jagged lines AND turn off ASW most of the time.
    What do I have to do? Do I have to buy a better graphics card or a better processor - mainboard - RAM?

I know, that R3E is single core only. With FPSVR I can see the graphics card idling with 60-70 Percent and one CPU Core ist between 80 - 90 Percent when I'm on Nords with 40 GT3Cars

16. PeterJoostens

PeterJoostens New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i get red eyes from vr

17. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    No one with an idea?
    I know its very specific. Hopefully someone knows if a 1070 is enough for R3E in VR with 90 FPS or my processor.

18. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Better CPU for Raceroom. I have a 2080 GPU and still struggle to get perfect results in VR. However I read from guys with an i9 CPU and a 2080 and they still cannot always reach the 90fps. As long as RRRE is only DX9 this will not change, I guess.

19. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Yes an engine upgrade would be nice , :D . Just need to yell louder ;). Hehe.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So, did an Upgrade on my PC.
    Now it's a I7 9700K with 16GB Ram 3200 CL14.
    I've raised the SS settings a bit, lowered some graphics detail (because now there where an overload of my 1070, 45FPS where easy, 90 not so^^)

Offline Raceroom is 80 % at 90 FPS in my Oculus
    Online I've seen ASW very rare, but didn't have a full race with 30 Persons now, only with 10.

I think, that the own processor don't have a lot to do with online racers, because he don't have to calculate the physics for them. Could that be?