The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    That's why, personally I respect S3's stance on modding (although I believe their position may well change), a bit of authenticity never hurt anyone, especially in this day and age, never, ever thought I'd be so vehement on this one but come on lads, leave one Sim to us old farts who like the realism and truism that RR upholds, at least for the time being, sadly I believe your wishes will be granted sooner rather than later. Could probably live with it if it was through Steam workshop, seems to work fine in rF2. Real bug bear of mine, shoddy mods, RR has a high standard and it would be nice to maintain it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    To be fair Goose, I think the comment was mostly about Iljas Custom Shaders and Peter Boese's Sol filters posted above. What these two are doing is downright transformative to the point where the old AC engine, abandoned because of limitations, doesn't look all that limited anymore. Although there's some fantastic content modders as well like RSS as well. Kinda funny you mention rF2 though as I find it has a lot more shoddy track and car mods compared to AC and quite a bit of the quality tracks now coming to the Steam Workshop is AC ports. ;)

Beyond that though I don't disagree that Raceroom has a high standard and that I too prefer a more curated approach, but I think a large part of why that approach was taken was to battle the then rampant piracy on the PC market rather than a hard stance against modders.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    I think Kunos said that this was impossible...I love it!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    My view is there's room for both philosophies. I like the fact that raceroom is 100% official, you fire it up and you know everything will work. But then I hugely respect the modding scene, there are some massively talented people creating stuff that's mostly for free. As with anything there are some that are excellent and some that are very mediocre. Find the good stuff and enjoy it I say.

• Agree Agree x 9
  5. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Modding was keeping me away from AC after the first enthisiasm. To much seeking, to less driving

BTW:
    I drove ACC last WE on the monitor and i have to say it looks really not good. crispy as f***

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    You don`t need to seek, there is a lot to choose from.
    20190125145137_1.jpg

7. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    This is what is currently possible using Content Manager, Shaders Lights Patch and Sol.
    I find it quite impressive considering the fact that AC was supposed to support only one light source. :)

For the critics: Yeah, I know. No one would ever race in these very fast changing conditions. My video is only supposed to showcase the possibilities of CM, SLP and Sol.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Nobody has to. There is time multiplier for that. Set to work from static to x60.
    With this, AC is a completely new and better game :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alistair McKinley

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Actually I used x999 for my video. You can insert a value by your own - exceeding the limit of the slider.
    The footage is recorded in "real time" (in the game). It's not edited afterwards.

Weather FX runs 50x and the 24h cycle (time multiplier) 999x. You can even drive with these values but it gets a bit "epileptic". :D
    And what's also worth mentioning: I always had more than 60 FPS while I was driving using an i5-3550 3,3 Ghz with a GTX 1070.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Ah, OK. I did not realise you could. x10 is the max setting I use, never looked beyond that :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    @Alistair McKinley
    those are some pretty slow cars to get lapped by the seasons.:)
    I'm also having lots of fun with these mods.
    Aren't we lucky that there are such extremely talented people willing to share their creations.
    great vid thanks.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. Alistair McKinley

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Yessir! :)
    Thanks for your comment.

13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Got a new racing sim. Its called Assetto Corsa. Its brilliant. :)

Serious, its like a new game. Believe it or not, but it took me until yesterday to try out the Sol mod. I had tried Content Manager when it was released long, long time ago, but it did not run for me, and so I did not use it. Not before now I tried it again, and now it works, and so Sol, which depends on it, is available to me as well.

The new skyboxes and the generla coklours schemes and looks make such a dramatic difference, I was not prepared to it. Effectively what the author did was to repalce all the default shaders, somethign whcih Kunos shied away from, claiming it would be too difficult. But now it is being done, and it really puts Kunos at shame.

I am a computer gamer since the early and mid-80s. Which means I saw it all, the whole revolution. Only very, very rarely I have stumbled over a mod for a game I played that made such a dramatic difference.

A must-have, clear and simple!

I must admit with this mod AC looks much better in VR, than ACC. Its just more pleasant, and at the same time a calmer experience, for the eye.

Who said there is no more life in this old game? Where it is now, ACC still needs to get!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Simply astonishing in my opinion.

The day night transitions are breathtaking.
    The new shaders add features I would never have thought possible.
    Running in VR, through the Oculus SDK works flawlessly as usual rather than the awful SteamVR.

Real 3D working mirrors. Track lighting that is believable and completely immersive.
    Weather effects, seasons, rain tyres added, variable lighting added to simulate clouds across the sun.
    The list goes on and on.

Reworking every part of the game from the ground up and updated constantly.

The only negative point I could say about it currently, is the fact that quite a bit of manual tweaking in .ini files and configs is required.
    It will all eventually end up in the GUI we are told however.

If you haven't tried it, do it asap and be prepared to be blown away.

It really does highlight for me just how far Raceroom is falling behind graphically now.
    The new engine can't come quick enough when you see what's possible elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Want to test it, but is there a AI- Mod or sth? Dont want to play AC again as a Hotlapsimulator, everytime i fire it up i get bored quickly, better AI and this fancy Mod(s) would shurely help.

16. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    IMO better graphics don't make this game better. If i compare AC with R3E(latest updated content), AC is way behind in AI, physics and ffb. I don't really care about fancy graphics, night and day, rain,... For me it's all about the driving and racing experience.
    I had lots of fun with AC in the past, but i don't enjoy it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I prefer RR to AC but as an endurance racing fan those sunrises are spectacular, it definitely adds something for me. Never been bothered about weather...who wants to drive slower I'm the rain while not being able to see? Not me.

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I thought the same way about rain like you, Ravey - until I found the rain in ACC. That turned me into a believer. An incredible experience, a whole new ballgame, the first time somebody got rain racing right - I do not want to miss it. And yes, the wetter it gets, the trickier it is to drive. Thats the point in it.

In the Sol mod and with rain mod used, weather still is not convincing. Cosmetic only, and visually not overly appealing. But the skyboxes all are very nice. To me, Sol ist worth it just for the much better skyboxes. The sunrises and sunsets are a bonus.

Total night in AC only is a nice experience as long as the track supports a minimum of trakcside light. Many tracks however stay pretty dark, pitchblack, whcih is unbelievable and kills immersion. So, sunset and sunrise is better to be used than night.

For rain racing, there is just one choice: ACC. And ACC turns it into a blast, physically and visually.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  19. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    In the content manager, that is needed to run Sol anyway, there is an option of "AI flood". I is an option that spawns AI cars in a range I think up to 600 meters before and behind you, a flock of cars. That way, no matter when you leave the box, you gt the impression to be on a crowded track. You will not realise the cars coming from nowhere, they spawn beyond your sight. I foind this approach extremely convining. You can also drive against the driving direction with content manager, use some of the traffic mods for AC, the interface does quite a lot more than just replacing the defualt functions of the Kunos interface.

Beside Sol and Crewchief, Content Manager is the third of the three big musthave addons. I regret that I had to pass on it for so long.

Chris haye explains an older, earlier version of it and what it does.:

20. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that info. I have to test it for some fun rounds.

But I ment an AI- Mod for a more improved AI to race against, Not to race with like it is now. Or didnt i get you right, and the Manager also improve AI-behavior?
    I know there where improvents done by Kunos, but it didnt catch me.
    Im a spoiled R3E-"child", I want to figth AI.

If sth im that way was done, I would love it.