320 mm OMP Rim Cut Down?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Not Lifting Off, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I recently purchased a 320mm OMP rip off (assumed by price) rim to use on a Fanatec Uni Hub, problem is it blocks the bottom 20-25% of my screen. anyone see any problems with cutting the top half off, obviously done properly, unstitch the leather, cut the rim and create a tidy finish. What kind of support runs through, am i likely to damage the integrity, weaken the rim in any way?
    Picture below shows it against my screen, how it is and how i want it to be, im fairly confident it`ll be ok but would like a 2nd opinion before i start hacking away. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    id lift my screen up personally

Andi

3. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Would be interesting to see how it turns out, then it will be come a modern GT3 rim sort of, if you do it I wouldn't cut it how your pic shows, straight across, cut it at a angle so it matches the rim curve if that makes sense, so looking at it more than likely be somewhere around 40/45°, I'm guessing it would be abit like cutting the roof of a car to turn it into a convertible will it lose it's strenght.

4. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Not possible unfortunately, perspective is a bit off in the picture but its a 42" tv sitting as high as it can on its stand.
    Agreed with the cut angle, image for illustration purposes only ;) Your last point is the one im thinking more about, not sure if there is a metal support running thru it, ahh well probs find out tomorrow :)

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i made a taller stand

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I would love to but dont have access to the required, its all one frame and monitor\tv stand, if i modify one part then i would need to modify the rest to match, too much effort, time and money for too little reward.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  7. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I had ordered this one here yesterday. These kind of wheels are always 270mm , now I found a 300mm option, wich I think is perfect for GT3 cars and so on (gonna mount this on the Fanatec universal Hub). Maybe thats something for you too and you don't have to destroy your nice OMP wheel ;D

IMGP6458_2_1024x1024@2x.JPG

8. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    It is another option altho im not one for having multiple rims tho and one will just sit in the corner gathering dust, i am just getting used to the 320mm which i really like after coming from a 270mm formula rim which was a little too fast and skittish, i find the 320mm a much nicer balance with smoother input and control.

9. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Had the same bad feeling with the formula rim, it's just too small outside formula cars. I'm also using a 320mm D shaped wheel right now and it's a much better feeling in GT class. If you want I will tell you how the 300mm handels when it's delivered.
    Otherwise I wouldn't recommend to cut something off, I think it's not that easy to make this very accurate. And you can use this for ''older cars'' or maybe rally stuff, where this cutoff version is not that practical.

10. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Not sure i`ll be able to hold off with the dremel till you get your wheel ;) Out of interest where from and how much?

11. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Haha I understand... it will take a few weeks until it's here. but gonna make a review on my channel about that xD
    https://www.turnracing.com/products/turn-r1-pro-steering-wheel

But I'm curious how your version will turn out, so keep us all up to date with the result please :D

12. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Lol, i just looked at that rim, wtf, $180, i could get 4 of the omp rims delivered for that price, i think i`ll go ahead with my original plan, if that fails then i`ll be back on Ebay for another £45 rim ;)

No worries, i`ll be sure to let you know if its a failure :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Where did you find the 300mm option bud, bween looking for awhile now that would accommodate the Uni hud.

14. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    In the post i quoted and in the original right above it :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Great not in the UK..

16. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    So, errr, ok, i done it ;)
    The ocd in me says what the fuck have you done? Left sides a fraction longer, the angle is off and not really anywhere near the shape i wanted, my excuse, i dont have the tools or workspace, the picture dosnt do it any favours, makes it look worse than it is, either way it will do the job, i can now browse the web or watch my tele without having to remove the rim, and the fact i race more than watch tv means its more convenient cut than not :)
    [​IMG]

Add to that, mine, £45 + 1.5hrs work or the one above for $180, i`ll take mine all day thanks :cool:

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Hmm ok, it doesn't look that bad, yes the angle is wrong the high point of the cut should of been on the outside, and maybe the cut could of been done abit higher, what did you find after the cut? and how are you going to plug the ends?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Injection moulded foam over a metal reinforcement bar, cheap cheerful but effective. With patience, time and tools it would of been very easy to do a very nice job, certainly comparable to the $180 one above, patience isnt a strong point when i want it done it should already be finished :) it is far from perfect but it serves its purpose nicely.

Edit - have to say im very happy with it, works no different but now it isnt blocking a large portion of my screen.

19. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    version 2.jpg
    I understand you wanted to have this done quick, but the wheel is so important, that's the thing you are always looking at ... I would have done it like in the picture. I don't know I don't want to say any bad things but I wouldn't be happy with your version, but as long as you are happy with it it's fine :)
    Anyway, thanks for sharing whats inside the wheel :D

20. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Lol, say it as you see it, if i was bothered i would never of asked opinion or posted it here, you`ve just paid $180 for someone to do what i have done in no time with little effort (edit - not meant to be as arrogant as it sounds), how it ended up looking was a lot less important than not actually ruining the rim itself, aesthetics 0, function and usability 10.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019