FOV (Field of View) if you don't have triples, ONE computer screen is just fine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Timmy L

Timmy L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Now, can you explain that again..?
    Does the same principle apply if you play standing up, with your back to the screen?
    X

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I am a driver with occasional track days with pretty competitive lap times

I want to mention in FOV, there is another important factor that people miss. The size of the object. I am running a single 40 inch TV now, but now planning to get a UHD 55 TV, and I sit 2 feet away from my chest to the monitor.

As a driver, what the real object size in my real car should be the same object size in my screen. Triple screen (monitor, not TV) with around 35 inch only solves the horizontal problem, but did not solve the vertical problem.

With a big screen, my lap time has significantly increased because
    1. My steering sensitivity is decreased to behave close to a real car, so when you turn, you can have fine adjustment
    2. You can attack a corner much more easily. I use the middle of the cockpit to visually "align" the corners. This is much much more precise now

I recently move the cockpit position view in the car to be much more forward, similar view to my real car, and also change the fov from 1.2 to 1.0. I gained a lot of time in each track, around 0.5 to 2 seconds per lap. You can check "Ben Yip" in GTR2 leaderboard. I am in very good position in many tracks

Same theory to a big monitor, if you are a real driver, the size matters. There are people running 3 55TV as their rig. You can search youtube for it

TV nowadays has very low latency, so not a drama for most of us

I don't like viewing from a hood view or a front bumper view because you can no longer feel the rear end of the car slide visually.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  3. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I use a 27" monitor and at it's closest, it's 28" away from me. Using Project Mu, I got a recommendation of x 0.5 for Raceroom's FOV. I just can't get use to running with the FOV that tight, and not being able to see turn in points. I've tried, but I am going back to X 0.8 until I get triples or something.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I found the same thing when I was using a single monitor.

I used TrackIR for a couple of years when I was into flight sims and that was ok.
    The new "look to apex" can help as well but triples will always enable more accurate driving.

Once you've had triples a single monitor feels look you a looking through a letter box slot

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I was promised a free 39" smart tv, not sure how good or bad it will be, but if I really get one, then I need to test how it works out.

From 2 ft away it would still give me something like over 70 degrees of FOV, which is more than now with super close to wheel and there would be possibility to use 2nd monitor, not sure if that will slow me down a lot though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That will work fine. My main screen is a 32 inch TV at 650mm from eyes, i use 0.6x FOV and it looks perfect. I also run secondmonitor as a timing screen, it has minimal impact on FPS

8. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Pretty
    Pretty good calculator. I was messing around raceroom video settings- filed of fiew. By default it was on 1. I tried 0.5 and it all looks different. The world/tracks and cars look larger. Certainly better than 1 but it puts more stress on my eyes. Trying to get used to it. (one screen) also my computer is old and not very capable of hi res

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It can take time to get used to if you've been using wrong FOV for a long time and certainly it can make the game "feel slow", move the value down gradually and get used to it. When you have been running correct FOV for a while going back is Impossible, it feels so wrong. Interesting the "feel slow" thing actually works as an advantage, everything seems to come at you slower so you feel like you have more time to plan corners and hit apexes. It's obviously not true, the car moves along the track at the same sleed, it's just perception that changes.

10. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I am happy to perform experiments with fov setting on a single screen until I get the computer that can support all 3.

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I think 0.6 is ok but for some reason i like 0.5 better. It just feels closer to real. My eyes are 72 cm from the screen and the monitor is 27 inch. According to the calculator it should be around 0.5

12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If the calculation says 0.5 then 0.5 will feel better as it is correct. Driving with a higher FOV than correct is like driving sitting in the back seat of a car. You can do it, but it's compromised and doesn't feel right.

13. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456 / 0 / -0
    According to this calculators i should drive with 0.6+ in RR because thats "correct", but why then does it feel so incorrect? Like driving with binoculars. I think there is a good reason why the default setting is 1.0

Yes it does, it's like the whole world is compressed and you have a unrealistic possibility to hit the breakpoint and apex at the cost of the sense of speed, which is zero.

Realistic?

14. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Its strange that at 0.5 the track looks more real whilist the cockpit view needs to be adjusted a little bit backwards.
    When I have it at 0.6 the cockpit view is perfect but the track is slightly less good in compariso to 0.5

15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I see what you are saying.... i cant make up my mind whether i should keep it on 0.5 or 0.6. Prefer 0.5 but it hurts my eyes a bit

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The difference is very low, maybe 5 degrees, I can't remember exactly. Either will be fine and is infinitely better than running at 1x. The fov affects the world outside the cockpit, the cockpit is just projected on top of it. A bit of seat movement withing reason is perfectly acceptable. Make sure to bind a key to cockpit perspective reset and use that as your starting point.

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I
    I'm not going into all this again. Believe whatever you want.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    How big is your monitor and how far away from your eyes?

20. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456 / 0 / -0
    27 inch 55 cm