Any DD/Servo wheels out there on R3E (AF, OSW, Bodner)??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by switchface, Nov 18, 2015.

1. A.K.Racing

A.K.Racing New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I will tested this year Porch gt4 on real race track cause I really want to know how feels real race car and also how hard they steering etc!i will put post when I do that!

• Like Like x 1
  2. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Of course, these are just games after all but, I always strive to make it as good as it can be and the quest for ever greater immersion ends with the realization that there is no substitute for reality in most cases. Still, limitations of one sort or another, keep me in the hunt. ;)

3. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I have seen an Accuforce v1 for sale at a decentish price, i like the idea but need convincing that its worth the upgrade. Currently using all fanatec which i could sell for more than the price of the Accu v1, equivalent to a free upgrade?
    Is the difference that great, i never have feedback set too high, much prefer to feel something coming through the wheel than be fighting excessive weight and trying to build up my Garth muscles.
    How well does it perform in Raceroom, its currently the only game i play but will be starting to have a proper look at ACC in the next few weeks. Are they easy to configure, plug in and go or a lot of configuring to get a decent feel.
    Thanks in advance.

4. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Most DD-wheel users will say yes, it's absolutely worth the upgrade. The main difference is an increase in overall Dynamic Range of the FFB and there is no more versatile software available than SimCommander.

The increased Dynamic Range allows us to have the best of both worlds; more detail at moderate settings but, also more intensity for such things as cornering-grip forces. Normal steering resistance can be easy while hard cornering can be stronger and more intense without losing detail. Even at higher force levels, you are less likely to feel like the wheel is fighting you (up to a point).

Tuning the AccuForce can be easy or complex, it just depends how deep down the FFB rabbit hole you want to go. You can download user profiles from the Owner's Club or you can use Auto-Tune to get started. Either way, just be sure to learn about how to avoid soft-clipping - especially in the game FFB settings. Clipping is far more evident with a DD-wheel but, it's one of the common mistakes that a DD-wheel user is likely to make early on.

The most reliable way to avoid soft-clipping is to leave the strength setting high in the wheel-driver settings and use the game-FFB strength level to dictate overall FFB strength. Soft-clipping will always affect the FFB negatively but, using the game FFB-meter and the one in SC4 can insure that you will have no clipping issues.

I like the AccuForce FFB in RaceRoom but, it's been many years since I've used a mainstream wheel. Still, it's difficult for me to imagine a case where any mainstream wheel will out-perform a DD-wheel and the inclusion of SimCommander gives us even more versatility with titles that fall outside the very top sim's.

The unknown factor here is the Fanatec Podium series. If I were vested in Fanatec gear, I might want to wait and see how the Fanatec DD rates with users after it arrives (especially those with prior DD experience). If waiting does not appeal to you, then maybe get the AF now and you should be able to recover your investment later if you want to go with the Podium series.

I also own and use an OSW-SimuCube wheel but, I miss having SimCommander in some cases. SC4 is the AF-system's greatest strength imo but, not everyone wants to explore the greater depths of FFB tuning like I have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Accuforce v1 user for a few years now. The ffb is pretty good. Some tracks it gives almost a road surface feel, others not. The jolts/notchyness that it gives may be a problem for you. I used this and a fanatec clubsport till the clubsport wheel died last summer(v2).
    Free upgrade, I'd go for it. The accuforce v2 is better
    Ymmv

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The jolts and notchy-ness can be tuned out completely but, it may involve a couple of tweaks in the rcs-file. The main culprit with both my DD-wheels was the "Steering Rack" forces; the notchy issue goes away if that is set to zero or 100%.

IIRC, I had to force Steam to download a new AccuForce Preset for RR and use that for my new wheel profile as it seems something changed with one of the updates and my old AF-profile in RR didn't work right until I refreshed it.

Still, if the bump-effect intensity is too high, that should be reduced with a proper balance of the vertical suspension effects in RR-FFB. If the curb-effects cause the wheel to pull too much or the wrong direction, that can be solved with an rcs-file tweak. If the AF-preset is new, it should not produce those issues providing the RR-FFB settings are not working against one another. The relationship between vertical and lateral forces needs to be balanced (not necessarily equal).

7. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies, i have been doing a fair bit of reading and think im gonna go for it so long as nothing gets in the way, cant seem to find anything but good on the overall ffb feel and difference between DD and belt driven.
    If i do i`ll be back picking brains and begging configs ;)

8. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    V1 user here, I don't bother with sim commander only use it for a buttkicker, the base settings work fine but the AF profile in RRE is awful and gives nasty jolts in corners, I deleted it and just did a custom profile same as OSW users use, instantly felt great with a few tweaks in game and the RCS file.

Definitely worth the upgrade,the V1 is a great wheel depending on how much you are getting it for?

9. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    RWB, care to share your setup? I have a V1 and I'm happy with my FFB, but I've tried so many different arrangements and they are all so vastly different from one another. Since yours is based on OSW users, I'm curious to try it on a duplicate profile just to see.

10. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yeah no problem, I'll get it for you later.

11. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Try this

In sim commander I just use 900 and regular, close SC4, I can send in game settings if needed

Attached Files:

12. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    What makes you come to that assumption?

V1 and V2 are under the skin the same, motor and control box, the V1 has an over engineered case for the base which on the V2 was cut back using steel rather than pressed alloy, the V2 also omits the USB hub on the back like the V1 has, also they moved the RJ connector to the front on the V2 which causes a lot of snapped cables, I have never snapped one as my RJ is at the back.

• Like Like x 1
  13. richlevy2003

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately I should have put a disclamour, that would have been along the lines of, thru reading forum posts here and other sites v2 users who have moved up from v2 state, they are getting better results... reviewers were also indicating better performance...
    I always read the specs and thought the units .were similar. In discussions here using profiles and settings of v2 users always had less than satisfactory results for me, yet the original poster and other v2 users seemed to be satisfied with the results they were getting. So for me, not having a v2 to test, I can only assume.
    Ymmv

14. richlevy2003

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    As for stretched cables, since they switched to the shorter cable I have not had problems. My cable is nearing 1 year old now, the previous longer cable did not break, but constantly disconnecting and reconnecting after reset/starts was a pain. Thankfully I misplaced it after switching to the clubsport and back over a year ago. I think the new cable was less than 10.00 usd

15. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I think a lot of that has to do with the default Accuforce profile in RRE, when I first started the wheel felt awful but once I did my custom one things became alive, I now have it feeling great, in fact last night I jumped onto Project Cars 2 and was shocked how numb the FFB is in that sim compared to RRE.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    PC2 can provide very lively FFB but, every car needs different FFB settings. Even then, there are some effects it still doesn't convey so well. RaceRoom on the other hand, provides very good fundamental FFB effects and offers some enhancements for those that want them.

I suspect the biggest challenge for most players that struggle with RR-FFB is getting the right balance of vertical and lateral force effects. If we break the effects down and tune them one at a time, it's really pretty easy and most - if not all, of the cars respond as expected.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for replies and opinions, much appreciated.
    After 2-3 weeks of ownership thought i may as well answer my own questions, hope this helps someone else out in a smillar position to the one i was in.
    Yes! Without question the best upgrade ive done after going to vr, the jump from monitor to vr, the same, Fanatec v2 + rims to the V1 Accuforce, i have had a huge list of wheels\bases over the last 3-4yrs, upgrading or just buying a bargain when it appeared and there is absolutely nothing i have used that comes close to the v1, plus i ended up close to £200 better off, a win win if ever there was one. Although i am noticing the difference in rim size, i was using a 270mm formula rim on the Fanatec then got a uni hub and a 320mm to use with it and found the change in rim very comfortable, much nicer to use than the smaller rim at 450 DOR, but using the 320mm on the Accuforce im struggling like crazy, its like ive gone to a 350mm or larger, really struggling with understeer and turn in at the same settings, whether that is down to wheel settings or the accuracy or inaccuracy of one or the other base idk but the difference is quite noticeable.
    Based on my 2nd hand purchase, In a word, yes, a huge difference. If i was in the market for a new\used wheel £750+ for a new Fanatec base and rim or a new DD wheel for a little more or a decent chunk less for 2nd user, No question DD all day long! Huge improvement, if you take like for like new prices is £2-300 more worth it? Can you feel that much difference, yes, the difference is direct, it is that simple! When i went to buy my wheel i knew within 10 seconds of trying it, no belts, no delay, it just felt different, better in every way and that was in a game i had never played in my life (AC) and only had RR and my settings to compare, maybe my setup was shit and his was great, bollox, my settings were pretty decent and always felt good, but the general feeling of the wheel, the forces, how they were relayed, just better, much better!
    How good is RRs FFB? It shits all over ACC, PC dont make me laugh, probably prefer RF2 to RR for FFB altho there isnt a lot in it but RR all day long for the game.
    It performs really well, took me well over a week to get it dialed in and still tweaking, quite a few practice sessions with all FFB off and adding one at a time till i found what i liked the feel of, still trying to find the right balance of in game forces but getting there.

Overall, very happy i made the switch, sorry for the wall of text was only going to be a few words!

Added controller profile and SC4 install and drive file, opinions, suggestions, im not 100% happy with it still tweaking but thought id share cause you know, its good to share ;)

You will have to delete the rcs extension from the iadf file, S3 wouldnt allow that extension to be uploaded

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Mario R.

Mario R. Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I am faced with the choice for a new Wheelbase.
    so....why not a DD :)
    after a long search two favourites have been found
    AccuForce Pro V2 vs Augury

wich would you prefer and why?
    what is the different between the Encoder and do you notice any difference? (Augury use a BISS-C and AccuForce use a stepper motor Encoder)

I am looking forward to your opinion

Cheers
    Mario

19. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    If your budget allows it go for the Augury (Simucube) or any other Simucube build with the small or large MiGE like from SimRacingBay or Simplicity. You'll need an additional wheel for it though.

If money's tight go for the Accuforce v2.

Differences between these two are much noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I would buy the one from Augury. :)

I don't have the DD wheel base from Augury but using their F1 steering wheel and they know what they're doing. Build quality, price, delivery time and support are pretty good. The review for their DD wheel on the Sim Racing Garage is proving this. The motor used by Augury has more Nm and feels alot smoother plus you don't have to fiddle around with the SimCommander software.

• Informative Informative x 1