Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    ACC uses them correctly, i use them for ABS and TC and they work just how I imagine them to work! Would be great to have that in other Sims also!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Understood - they work in Iracing as well. But I’m not sure sector3 is interested in this one? So having Fanatec add the option to the Mclaren wheel like they did the f1 wheels would at least create a working wheel.

Honestly having them as +\- dials totally works for me (which is what the new wheel will allow).

3. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Is it confirmed now that the encoders with the f1 le work now with raceroom ? How about the flag leds? Fanatec is working on a firmware update to include the McLaren rim.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

You can make the encoders work via joy2key. No patch from fanatec is going to make it more compatible - Raceroom is gonna have to update their software to accept more than 32 buttons per device.

5. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    It is not possible to add rotary encoder functionality to the McLaren GT3 multi-position switches, because they have hard stops on each end. The new multi-position switches on the 'Formula V2' series of steering wheels can rotate continuously in both directions.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hi Dom. I'm not sure I understand this... is this something that raceroom needs to add or can this be addressed with a new set of drivers from fanatec.
    If not what can they be used for ?

7. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    The main functionality of the MPS (available on the McLaren GT3 wheel and Formula V2 wheels) is to provide a unique signal in each of the 12 positions, which is a very powerful input method when fully supported by a sim. In order to support this, the developer must use the Fanatec SDK. The 'rotary encoder' functionality is a secondary option for the new MPS design found on the 'Formula V2' series of wheels, as these switches can continuously rotate in both directions. This often does not require specific developer support on PC, as each encoder is simply seen as two new button inputs (one for each direction), although it depends on how many button inputs the sim supports in the first place.

We are continuing to encourage developers to implement the proper 12-way MPS support, as it is a much more capable input than an encoder.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Sure hell taking their time, it will soon be why would we bother purchasing these wheels if we ain't going to beable to use the full functions?? So far we have 1 developer and 1 wheel implemented, and that's in what 10 months I think, not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    The 12-way MPS functionality is implemented on both iRacing and Assetto Corsa Competizione, and works on all the wheels with the 12-way MPS: the CSL McLaren GT3, the CS F1 2018, CS F1 PS4 (Podium Racing Wheel), and CS Formula V2. It is somewhat of a 'chicken and egg' scenario. Developers are wary of committing resources to adding functionality for a piece of hardware that a small percentage of the overall user base owns, and it is also a risk for us to bring products to market that have new features that aren't fully implemented by all simulators. But we are showing that we are committed to the MPS by including it in three new steering wheels, and it's also been shown on the Porsche Podium wheel too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wad53

wad53 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi Dom,
    I'm planning on getting a Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel, which will only be used on PC. Both of the Wheel Bases available seem very similar except for compatability to PS4 or XBox1, and their external appearance. These are the two options:

https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-officially-licensed-for-ps4-aus.html

https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-aus.html

Can you advise whether there are any basic functional differences if I'm going to use it exclusively on PC. I'll most likely mate it up with the P1 Wheel:
    https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-steering-wheel-p1.html
    Since there is a price difference between the two wheel bases, I was wondering if there would be any functional differences in my case. Yes, I'm in Australia.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  11. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Hi wad53,

I just replied to this on another forum, but I'll paste most of it here too:

If you are looking to purchase a CSL FFB system exclusively for PC use, I would recommend that you go with the CSL Elite Racing Wheel for PS4 (CSL E RW PS4) or CSL Elite Wheel Base + (CSL E WB+), as it offers improved damping/rotational characteristics compared to the CSL Elite Wheel Base (CSL E WB).

Furthermore, if you are considering the CSL Elite P1 wheel, then you should also consider going with the CSL Elite Racing Wheel for PS4 (CSL E RW PS4) instead, as this package includes a P1-type steering wheel that is very similar to the Elite P1 (but without the Microsoft security chip). The metal finish is slightly different, and the grip is a combination of Alcantara and leather (rather than full Alcantara), but it is otherwise the same. Combining the CSL E WB+ with the CSL Elite P1 would give you the benefit of an FFB system that worked on all three platforms, but if you are only planning to use it on PC, then the CSL Elite Racing Wheel for PS4 (CSL E RW PS4) makes more sense.

12. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for adding this info, you know I simply haven't played with my mclaren rim in months because of the lack of functions (I understand that's not a product of the wheel, but of the software). I didn't realize/remember the rotary encoders had a limit (would not keep rotating around). That's unfortunate, but I certainly understand and thanks for clarifying.

Raceroom honestly has the most work to do of any of the sims out there as far as controller inputs. Sure would be nice if they implemented at least traction control in 6 steps (their standard) for the encoders on fanatec wheels. Especially now that there literally must be thousands on the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    @DomB (I know I asked this in the past but...) How big do you see the chances that Fanatec will release any sort of new GT3 like steering wheel in the future (besides the Mclaren one) looking like this:
    Screenshot - 19_01.jpg

Otherwise I'm thinking for a long time now to just add the sparco one to the universal hub like this dude here:
    Screenshot - 19_01 002-02.jpg

wich is pretty pricey xD

Or.... maybe Fanatec will come up with a own version of this?:
    Screenshot - 19_01 003.jpg

(I just want to stay in the Fanatec Eco System and don't want use any third party productions with an extra cable and so on)

greetings, Homie :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  14. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Hi Homie, I'm afraid I can't answer that question, but we appreciate your enthusiasm. :)

15. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Ok no problem, then I'm gonna build my own xD

16. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    @DomB a Question about the upcoming DD's
    will there be any Mountingbracket included with the DD1 like with the CSW 2.5 ? Because I see a problem with my Simrig (and maybe other with similar rigs too). With the CSW Mounting bracket you was able to change the angle, but since the drilling holes are more on the front side this option will be impossible because of the longer shape of the DD1:
    01.jpg 03.jpg

Other Directdrives offer these mounting brakets as a solution, will there be something offered like this from Fanatec?

02.jpg
    Thanks for any answer,
    Greetings HomieFFM

17. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    There will be no brackets included with the Podium Series direct drive systems. The ClubSport Wheel Base angle adapter can work, because it uses the same three-hole mounting pattern, but as you say, this can cause a clearance issue due to the 'depth' of the Podium wheel bases, causing the back of the base to go below the plane of the surface you are attaching the angle adapter to. You would need an overhang at the back, or to raise it above the surface with some spacers.

We will of course consider offering an new type of angle adapter if there is sufficient demand for it. Your feedback has been noted.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I know this is a long shot, i have to send my v3 pedals off for repair, I still have an old set of CSR Elite pedals, any chance that when I get home I can plug them in to my v2.5 base and get them to work?
    Please, please please someone say yes!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  19. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    So these 200 year old pedals(no load cell version) do work on the v2.5 but the accelerator is no good, so brake is now the accelerator and the clutch is the brake, I have to say guys it's just disgusting on another level.

20. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    You know its a long shot, but suddenly its disgusting on another level!
    You sound like a spoiled child.
    Why is it disgusting on another level, cause your 8-10 year old pedals dont work on your maximum of 2 years old base? Are you sure the pedals are not at fault. I cant imagine the wiring has changed, or maybe it has to accomodate the CSL BA only pedals.
    Old pedals, shit happens get over it, frustrating maybe, disgusting, no.
    I am currently using a set of load cell elites, they worked perfect on my v2 base when i had it. You are trying to use pedals that pre date the elite wheel base let alone the v1, v2, CSL or 2.5, 5 generations and counting!
    Just be happy you can map a brake and accelerator and race on ;)