OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    This is odd and shouldn't be, I would keep messing with the settings - with the world scale options in Raceroom I can literally set it up so that the steering wheel in real life matches to an imperceptible amount. Other cars and objects at a distance look correct as well. I am using a vive pro, and for me the issue is it's doesn't have a low enough IPD, but regardless I think we have the same internal panel.

I have a fanatec mclaren wheel so when I load up the mclaren gt3 to check real world versus virtual, it's insanely close - which for me - and the world scale options were very close to my actual IPD. I find it incredibly hard to adjust this on the fly WHILE my eyes are open. You are really doing a number on your brain if you adjust this while glaring ahead. Your brain is going to try and compensate for this. I recommend, if the wheel is too small (don't use the drivers arms as a guide) click the world scale up 3 times while looking down. Then drive for 45 seconds. If it's still too small repeat. Make sure you are seated correctly, move your head until you bump the steering wheel in real life - make sure those distances are correct before adjusting.

One thing I will note, the human they have modeled is short, which is often bothersum if you place your head right on top of the neck. I usually alter the virtual seat to be a tad further and taller so I don't feel 5'4" tall.

2. jakejm79

jakejm79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I hope you can bear with me being a bit of a newb. Just got a Rift and built a PC (i5-7500, GTX 1060, 16 GB RAM) and have been playing with RR. I guess my 2 real questions are, what should I expect for performance and how do I tweak things to get them the best.
    I've done a bunch of reading and my head is full of anacronyms (SS, ASW, ATW) and other big words. So far what I have done is set the global SS to 100% (from the recommended 98%) in Steam VR video settings and then I also left the per app SS for RR at 100% (this would I believe give me a SS rate of 1.0, but in Steam it tells me the resolution will be greater than the 1080x1200 which I believe is the native res of each eye, there is likely something I don't understand here).
    The game seems to run well enough if I select the low in game settings preset (running a race around Sepang in the Formula Junior with 11 AI). If I choose the auto setting I get flicking/ghosting/lagging when moving my head - I plan on trying to dial things in a little by adjusting shadows and a car quality since I've read they have the biggest impact on CPU usage (I believe the CPU is the bottle neck, my GPU usage never seems to get above 70% while CPU is up around 90-100%).

Sorry for the long post just hoping someone with maybe similar specs could maybe share what I can expect for performance and any tweaks or ways to monitor things.

3. Luis Mercury

Luis Mercury New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have problems with my Oculus.

In singler player --> Unique events
    I don't appear the menus to go out on track.

that is ... "continue"

[​IMG]

however this isn't a problem for online or other game's modes.

Any suggestions?

Thank You a lot.

4. Bob jackson

Bob jackson New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I need some help guys finally got a oculus rift but no what I try the camera is facing to the back of the car not to the front tried lots of things but nothing works PLEASE HELP MEEEEEE GETTING CRAZY

5. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    write down what did you try so i know what to NOT suggest

6. ChristianKA

ChristianKA New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Move your SteamVR Window to another position. Worked for me

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    There is an even better solution. In the SteamVR-Settings is an option, which is called "Keep SteamVR in Front" or something like that. That causes the trouble, as the cursor disappears from Raceroom while moving on the SteamVR-Window. After that option is unticked, raceroom stays in front of the screen...

8. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Any chance you are using the fanatec mclaren wheel?

9. Bob jackson

Bob jackson New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yes I do finally found the fix my god yesterday evening trying like all shit it is just as simple mapping (remapping the glance left right and back buttons)
    Love the graphics much more stable than assetto or rf2

any advice on the settings running a gtx1070 8700k 16 gb ddr4 3200

• Like Like x 3
  10. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    That’s exactly what I imagined was going on. It’s just that wheel for some odd reason.

I’ve been staying clear of this forum as I feel there is a lot of incorrect info on here and I don’t want to argue. So I’m treading lightly here - I will add however I have literally 100’s of hours in VR at work and more so at home. VR made me finally like/value sim racing (I’ve raced in real life, but in the last 10 years just karting and track days).

For starters if your using steamvr you are (98%) likely running ASW even if you think you are not. There is no straight forward way to turn it off (as of Jan 27th). Doing so seems to cause ghosting. I am using a old steamvr from early October and whenever it updates I simply overwrite the files.

I’m on a vive pro, 2080ti and a 6950X i7 over clocked, 64 gigs of 3400 ram on a ssd drive - I run the following as 90 FPS in my opinion is mandatory in sim racing, you can not react to things in tenths and hundredths if you can’t see them. These are my settings

super sampling 2.1
    AAx2
    Shadows low
    Reflections low
    19 cars visible
    Skid marks on
    Contact shadow at like 7
    Cars high
    Track high
    Opponents cockpit anim off
    track animation off
    Mirrors low
    Shaders high

Bloom,depth of field, light shafts, lens efx do not matter - those are post efx and not supported in VR in raceroom (despite several contrary reports in this forum)

I had a titan (similar to 1080ti) and had to reduce super sampling 1.6, visible cars 17 and track detail down to medium

It gets a little more complex as some tracks have certain areas that are incredibly taxing - post turn 1 at spa
    - the Chinese track front straight away
    - Sonoma a couple places.

If it weren’t for spa I would literally up super sampling to 2.3.

On a 1070 i would turn down shaders, cars and track to medium and have super sampling at 1.5 and AAx2

• Like Like x 2
  11. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Bob did you give these settings (below) from ndwthx1138 a try?

I've got a Lenovo Explorer WMR headset being delivered next week so I'm trying to absorb this mountain of info about VR. I'm running with a 1070 as well, so I'm curious to know how you are getting on.

12. Trailbrake

Trailbrake New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am running a rift and R3E always launches behind me over my left shoulder. Even if I manage to get into a car it is still in reverse. No other game does this. PC2, RF2, AC or AC2. Any thoughts?

13. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Can't you just hit the position reset button? I have it mapped to my wheel for easy access, so I can fix VR "drift" while racing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Any chance you are using a fanatec mclaren wheel?

15. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Launch RR without vr, go into menus and set your buttons up to centre vr, position reset or whatever it is also to turn off monitor (button set, not literally ;)).
    Launch RR in vr, you need to at least go into the menus to recentre vr.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nasos Ch.

Nasos Ch. New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just tried RR with Oculus and even though things were fine i had very low res and almost not visible/small hud. Is there any setting for making the hud elements bigger? I have the same thing also in PC2.

Any suggestion welcomed.

17. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Same thing here. To make the HUD bigger, exit the game, start in non-VR mode, set the resolution to something lower (720p or 1080p), exit the game then start up in VR mode again and the HUD is larger. Feels like a bug in there somewhere, but that worked for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. KOKORO ga PYONPYON

KOKORO ga PYONPYON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    I played R3E+VR for about half a year, but it works without any problems and I do not feel stress because the balance of performance and image quality is also good.
    However, there is one point I want you to improve. I feel the color tone of the screen is light. It feels somewhat dark, but it is a negligible level.
    Similar to Assetto Corsa Competizione,I want to be able to adjust the "brightness" and "saturation" in the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  19. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    What I cannot understand in VR: Even with a i7 9700 OCed at 4,9 Ghz on all Cores and a 2080 Graphics Card, it is not possible to get Shadows and/or Reflections without going into ASW Mode on the Rift.

Everything other is on maximum with SS at 200 and 90 FPS on Nordschleife VLN with 40 AIs GT3 even on the start.

I think I have to rethink....

20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I love VR I really do and I always said, I never go back to pancake mode, but I just ordered a triple screen setup. VR is great but atm to heavy for my eyes. Perhaps because I’m 51 and
    my eyes are deteriorating. Last year I could easily drive for two hours in VR, the last 2 months that dropped to max 45min. Perhaps with the new HP VR google it goes better,
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3367755/hp-reverb-vr-headset-price-features-hands-on.html

For now I can switch between VR and tripple setup. (Well soon, after the triple setup has arrived)