Raceroom to move to Unreal Engine 4 in the future.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bakayoyo, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Moving to a more modern graphics engine and ditching DX9 has to be a sensible step forward to future proof the sim though. The current engine is great but it’s not viable in the long term. That said, I’m more concerned about what it means for the physics. So far Kunos have made a mess of moving to UE - the feel of ACC is much less involving than AC and miles behind R3E. Not sure why that’s the case, but you have to worry about the effect on R3Es physics (which are great) if they move to UE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Think the idea is to keep the existing physics and pop it in some new clothes and I'm pretty sure there are a few brows being beaten investigating the right solution to achieve this. Beginning to look very much like UE4 may not be the holy grail we all hoped for, so who knows, a few options out there, guessing this time next year we'll all know!

3. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I think that's the hope - and I hope it's as simple as that, I really do! The better visuals, the capability for weather effects coupled with the existing physics and FFB would be tremendous and would keep Raceroom in the game. I don't think they have much of a choice abut whether or not to make some big changes... a DX9 based engine gives you no room to grow. While it's OK today it's not really the best platform for tomorrow..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I am a software developer myself. I totally agree.

Have you considered how other games write their graphics engine? For example f12018, it has day night transitions and wet weather.

Don't over engineering stuff.

5. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    The UE4 of Assetto Corsa Competizione in TV mod

… ok the appearance in the cockpit view is nice, but the TV cam view is just crap for a 2019 sim!!! @1:35 … No, thanks!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I have I have somehow the same feelings about ACC. I don't know why none of the studio's have ever thought about to do replay cameras like real TV cameras, there is a script for assetto Corsa called "Cam Tool 2". In all Sims replay cameras are always controlled by robots, non human, that's why it is so boring to watch them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  7. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Looking at the replay, that means the advantages of unreal engine is day night transition and raining.
    Dry weather is not a big difference to me.

Whether it worths the effort to convert to unreal engine.

8. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    when I look at Assetto Corsa Competizione i have the feeling that it needs further more improvements in terms of performance. Overall the old assetto Corsa and raceroom looks somehow more natural to me. The quality of the depth of field is much better in the older graphics engines in my opinion. Day, night, rain, no question about that :) I'm in two minds about the unreal Engine 4 in sim racing. let's see.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    But it's not just about the looks, more like keeping up with the latest HW and SW developments. DirectX 9.0 is about 15 years old technology. I think the switch to a newer engine/API is getting more and more crucial as years pass by.

10. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Sure, I totally agree with you, we are just at the beginning of a new area. Studios have to build up experience with the new tools

11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That looks fantastic, very natural looking. That with the sol mod would look stunning

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    haha.. sorry but it often looks like the camera guy has his first day at work. and long pans sideways are very uncomfortable to watch for me, it just looks so choppy and not smooth.

no, sorry.. i cannot even watch it to the end without getting sick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    A lot of that natural feeling can come from over familiarity with one or another Sim, if you want a Sim to look better just fire up AMS first. ;)
    I am not one for checking if the shadows are shadowy enough or reflections that reflect at the precise angle they should but I know I most definitely don't want, over saturated cartoon graphics and that is what I get from ACC, I've played with the meagre settings to oblivion and back and I just can't get it to look anything other than dated. Have only been able to hot lap also as mp has never worked for me. As it says on the tin work in progress, so will take another pop at it next month but my time spent on it each month is diminishing rather than accelerating which is not what I expected.
    Rather have the playability and looks of RR over ACC as it stands, which doesn't bode well for U4, thought it would impress from the outset but has rather left me with waning interest and a vigour for rF2 and AMS, along side RR of course, well a fair way behind in my life, so you can imagine how far down the list ACC has ended up. Even considering wading back into AC, what with all the new mods and I fear that would also show how uninspiring ACC is, as it would be one more down the list.
    Plenty of time for a turn around, so not concerned about my investment, they will eventually come up with something, whether it will be good enough is entirely up to Kunos & Co.

14. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    the camera shake can be adjusted. perhaps he has overdone it a little bit. But when I watch this video it looks pretty similar because the cameras are controlled by humans and they don't have tracking points on a car to make it 100% perfect. compared to other Sims raceroom has the best TV camera I would say. The worst is PC2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dave Thayer

Dave Thayer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well if you want to see what RaceRoom will look like with the new unreal engine, you will get a taste of it when GTR 3 game comes out in maybe Q2 of this year. then you can start your discussions whether you want it or not. RaceRoom is going to change whether you like it or not.

16. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i wouldnt hold your breath as Q2 smells very like Q99 , no info no screenies , no videos

just a birthday post

i still believe that its a bad idea , as we would lose the most important aspect of the game ... the physics

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that's a real concern, as far as I know, UE is implemented in a way that it's fairly easy to replace the "default" vehicle dynamic system with your own physics implementation, Kunos did exactly that with ACC (although they admitted it was a pain in the arse at first)

18. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    "Fairly easy" and "pain in the a..". So what is it ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    fairly easy = concept
    pain in the a... =putting the concept into practice

Andi

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the wording was unfurtunate, so Unreal supports custom physics, but making your old code compatible with it might be a different story (especially if it's poorly managed code :D).