Alex Hodgkinsons' Driver's Briefings

Discussion in 'Car Information (Under Construction)' started by Christian G, Mar 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This thread provides links to a series of videos, created by our physics developer Alex Hodgkinson.

The goal of these videos is to give everybody an insight into each car's technical and driving characteristics, as well as explaining the setup options and their effects.
    In addition, Alex gives tips on how to drive the cars, to enable everyone to make the most of what each of them has to offer.

The series starts with the latest Porsche cars in RaceRoom, but is planned to be expanded whenever time allows to.

All credit goes to Alex Hodgkinson. If you enjoy these vids, please consider giving a like on yt and/or subscribing to Alex' channel.
    Joest Porsche 962

Porsche 964

Porsche 934

Nissan R90CK

• Like Like x 18
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Reserved

3. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the initiative!

4. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting videos. Would be cool to have this on each car's store page for example. To get a developer's perspective like the bonuses you get when you buy movies ect.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  5. javi_crash

javi_crash Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Last night I was watching these videos, very interesting.

It was clear that I wanted the 964. Now I also know that I want 934. I believe that following the advice of Mr. Hodgkinson I will be able to 'take him for the black' (spanish expression ;)).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see that some day the invalid lap messages will no longer be blocking the virtual mirror.
    Also you guys are getting me started to think about actually buying the 962 so good job with that :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    These videos are great.. very informative. I am looking forward to trying the two new Porsche's . On the 934 i have test driven this car before on the store and you are right about the floating feeling it produces. When it happens it gives me the feeling like the shocks are gone on it an resembles a boat , but like Alex said in the video.. these are cars from a different era that uses old technology.

I am still fairly new to sim's still have a lot to learn coming from the likes of forza series , project cars etc.. all good games. But i like the sim side more because its my way to "Drive" real cars on real circuits that i will never be able to do IRL , so this is as close as i will get ! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. M. Veloso

M. Veloso Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Will be nice indeed, wondering if it would be possible to add like 3 basic positions to start with, left side, middle, this one set under the mirror, i believe would be my favorite, and right side, with the option to move them around, up and down, more to top, or the bottom of the screen.
    The option to change the warning messages size would be nice also.

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Added Nissan R90CK briefing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You can move the virtual mirror if you want, I've made mine smaller and it's on the top right of my screen (where the actual mirror would be in most (LHD) cars)

11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson you use a g29 wheel right? Are these videos made with the standard g29 pedals and shifter or higher end kit? I find my g27 shifter to be very unnatural to use....

12. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    G29 wheel and pedals with a fanatec shifter. Weird combo I know!

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Not at all, mixing and matching kit is pretty normal these days. The fanatec shifter is probably the best consumer grade shifter on the market, a massive step up from logitechs offering. My pedals are g27 based but highly modded, just my shifter letting the side down now really. I need to upgrade given all these amazing manual cars that are coming out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Alex. These videos are great.

It's helpful to understand when a car's quirky handling characteristics are actually as intended, and are not just a 'problem' with the car's physics and/or force feed back.

• Like Like x 2
  15. y2kfred

y2kfred Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    As saied before: this kind of car characteristic videos should be a standard for all new cars / old cars with new physics.
    They are really helpful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yep, 100% this will be the new standard moving forwards. I will make more retrospectively of cars already released & updated.

Is there anything anybody wishes me to focus on in more detail? It's tricky to get the balance between important information and just being a detail geek. I am a car/driving anorak so I'm quite surprised I can get these down to a nice consise 15 minutes!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Does the nissan video mean well get a new layout? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. y2kfred

y2kfred Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Great.
    Maybe some word of car history and successes/drivers.
    And of course setups changes that really effect the car with recommended ranges to play with.

When can we try the new cars ;-) ?

19. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I thought the balance has been spot on, handling characterics being the most important thing. If you have something to say about suspension geometry, how it has been impletemented, I'm all ears. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Exactly what was needed and executed very well, good job @Alex Hodgkinson, knowing that not only all new cars but updated and existing cars are going to get the same treatment is a mouth watering prospect for all RR geeks. As far as I'm concerned you can delve into as much detail as you like. With @J-F Chardon delivering monthly update news via the forum (where I believe it should always be the first point of delivery anyway), Alex producing the technical and practical, insight video's and then your @Chris Haye - @Paul Jeffrey and @Jimmy Broadbent giving their first impressions. Not to forget @Georg Ortner giving us the low down on occasions, I fancy S3 might actually have got this update and news malarkey sorted and only six years down the line :rolleyes: guessing with this timescale, Brands Hatch full circuit still has a chance to rear its most beautiful head. ;)
    Oh and finally perhaps condensing all the above down to a tease on Friday, raft of video's Saturday to Tuesday and we all get our hands on it Wednesday, as this prolonged torture is an unnecessary distraction my fragile constitution could well do without.
    Swift, concise and with impact because as of now it's like getting a back, sack and crack performed with tweezers! :p

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.