Problem Ridiculous framerate at "Shanghai"

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by NoXiD, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I loaded the AMD beta driver in anticipation of project cars (was supposed to improve pcars performance) I was about to buy, but then never bought it. I believe that is what is causing crossfire to no longer run with R3E. I've been on the beta since buying shanghai

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Don't buy pcars. Its rubbish and the performance hasn't really improved with the beta driver. But mostly don't buy it because its rubbish. Really rubbish. I'm annoyed at myself for sinking lots of time into it hoping there was a decent game lurking but there's not. Of rubbish. Really really rubbish

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    First Run with beta driver......No real improvement on first impression. I'll have a go tomorrow when I'm not in rush

Crash Dump for ya S3 @Sonat Ozturk

Attached Files:

4. Steven Bull

Steven Bull Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Ha, it was very close actually, he pipped me by 0.05s!

As for the topic, I have no issues, solid 60 fps with pretty much every setting at max + 8xAA. Only fxaa, bloom and motion blur off.

5. Jan Stange

Jan Stange Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Yes, was a great battle and Stevens first race there I think.
    Next days will hopefully give us some amazing racing with the new TC1 cars.

• Like Like x 1
  6. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    AMD driver 15.5 made no difference to here I'm afraid...I also noticed that reduce Track LOD to medium from high mad no difference either...

However the AMD drive made a massive difference to pcars...but no change here. Not at Shanghai anyways... But I have had improvement else where..

EDIT : Too add to this with the exclusion of Shanghai, thanks to the AMD beta driver I can now enjoy R3E to another level..I'm supposed to be working today, but I just can't keep my grubby hands off it..

Thanks @Kurt Vanhee

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  7. tiagosousagarcia

tiagosousagarcia Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I knew it would happen to me, but I was kind of hoping with would be GPU dependent, judging from what some of you guys were saying. Wishful thinking. I did buy it with some extra VRPs that I had left over from WTCC14, and it was even worst than expected. Mind you, I'm very aware that I'm running R3E in a very modest setup -- Laptop,HP Pavillion 15-p100na, Intel Core i7-4510U, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 840M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated) -- but my graphic settings are optimised to give me a great framerate, mostly 65+ in pretty much any track except Moscow which has known optimisation issues. With Shangai I get 45fps at the most, and in most places it drops to the mid 30s. It's unplayable. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was only Shangai, but I'm very afraid of what Macau will bring. Macau is one of my favourite tracks ever, and I can't wait for it to arrive, but if I'm having this much trouble with Shangai with its comparable low number of objects, how will Macau be?

By the way, I already have no reflections and track quality to medium. In fact, the only high setting (I think), is car detail, mostly because I drive from the bonnet (small screen) and gets annoying to have a low resolution right in front of you. I tested Shangai in practice, with 0 AI by the way, so no one on the track but me.

I'm crossing my fingers hopping this is just some optimisation issue with this particular track rather an overall increase in minimum specs for R3E. I really can't afford a proper gaming laptop and can't custom build a serviceable desktop because I have to move around a lot.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  8. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    @machwebb must assume then that Shanghai is not yet fully optimized.
    Glad you have improvement on other tracks:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    1) Since I turn V-sync on, I'm losing 19 fps anytime I look at the grand stands on the front straight. 60fps to 41fps. that's not so bad. 41 fps should be playable but I am getting stutter as well. I play with a mixture of low/medium settings.

2) I ran 3 races to train adaptive AI. When I tried to close the game, it froze. Task manager shows three RRE.exe processes open and a RRE launcher.

3) Raceroom has Crossfire support???? Crossfire didn't work in the past so I removed my 2nd gpu. I'm afraid to install the latest driver. The original Omega driver caused my monitors to go blank and to get my monitors working again was a nightmare.

10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ never had crossfire support, but used to work with manual "AFR friendly" profile. Mind you, stuff flickered like crazy, especially the new menus, but it worked and increased FPS greatly. Since i downloaded the beta amd ccc driver, i have not been able to get it to turn on for R3E (still works for other games)

Still, right now crossfire is more hassle than its worth in general. Hopefully dx12 changes that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I was playing R3E at 102C. At 104C - throttling.
    That's why I removed the 2nd 6970. Now, temp spikes occasionally to 80C playing at 5760 x 1080 resolution.
    I need to find an 1155 mobo with more space between pcie slots for the gpus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ThereIs0nly0ne

ThereIs0nly0ne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Very poor frame rates here also even in practice. I have a similar problem with Moscow. All other tracks are working well (constant 60fps).

GTX 980 with 353.06 drivers
    Win 7
    I7 2600k

13. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Discovered the WTCC 14 Shanghai competition tonite, so I had a chance to run Shanghai, well its not that bad but the framedrop is there (oscillating between 45 and 60 FPS - with emphasis on oscillating :) ) .

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  14. Öberg

Öberg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    After all I have read here I was pleasantly surprised that Shanghai ran perfectly on my system.
    70 fps constant, never even once down to 69. (I have it software limited to 70, no vsync)

System: i5-3570k / 8gb ddr3 1600mhz / GTX670 (old 301.42 driver, fuck updating lel) on Win7 x64
    Mostly all video settings on high with exception of shadows and bloom, 4x MSAA I believe.

Dont really understand how I can have this excellent performance while others are having horrible experiences with better hardware than mine o_O
    I mean if it was poor optimization wouldnt it then be poorly optimized for ALL users who try the track? how come it seems superbly optimized for me yet unplayable for others? whats the difference? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    For me disabling shadows entirely (execpt for shadows under cars) fixes the framerates. It actually looks better this way as the shadow cast by the grandstand on the start finish straight sort of runs away from you as you drive along. I guess the shadow draw distance is too short. Happens at other tracks too

16. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    The hardware variations from PC to PC are sheer endless Öberg, guess thats one of the reasons many devs are focusing on consoles only nowadays....not to mention CPU or GPU tweaking, usefull (or useless) software running in the background and and and...*bwoah* I'm happy I'm just an end consumer in this regard..:eek::confused:

17. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    People with a GTX 980 + i7 CPU should not be having issues with this track whatsoever. I don't see how hardware variations can account for such poor framerates when we are talking about high end systems. It's very strange.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Öberg

Öberg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I know and agree there are many variations but I dont think that explains it here.
    I admit I dont know too much about the subject but to my very untrained eye it would be logical that if the problem is the track itself being poorly optimized or too many polygons in buildings then the impact would be noticable on all systems, ofcourse more so on systems with less powerfull hardware but still.
    What I mean is my GTX 670 isnt the best GPU in the world and it works superbly on shanghai, if it were only in terms of GPU power then surely a 970 or above would also be able to push 70+ stable fps, but this is not the case for many, why?

I may be incorrect about this but it makes me think perhaps its not the track thats so horrendously optimized, couldnt it be something else thats causing this discrepancy in user experience? Im thinking drivers or something software related.
    This doesnt make sense in another way though since users experience good fps on almost all other tracks (broken drivers/software would be equally broken on all tracks....right?)

Very strange and im too stupid and uninformed to wrap my head around it ^^

• Like Like x 1
  19. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    It is but my comment stems from mere observation over the years in all areas, not from expertise....
    Can't count the numbers of posts where owners of High-End systems complain about issues, while ppl with standard specs don't ..
    I guess there also comes a misbelief into play as well, like " If I buy a Porsche for 200.000 bucks I expect that thing to run flawless for ever" which is far from reality cause the more advanced and therefore complex technology becomes the higher the risk of unexpected and unwelcome issues - well the industry wouldn't you tell that :D....In reality itrs surely not wrong to state that 33% percent of all errors are sitting behind the keyboard, the next third has to do with hardware conflicts/errors and the last third is indeed a result of poor optimization/programming on the software developing side...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  20. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes, the PICNIC error. :D

• Funny Funny x 2