Ai incidents

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nico Kunze, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Since nobody ever talks about the ai ill open my own little thread ;)
    Dont normally race the ai much because i find it rather frustrating for most of the time but i felt like doing an f3 championship so i started one today. As could be expected there were quite a few incidents some of which i found rather odd and wanted to share. These are the incidents of races 1 and 2 (each race 15 minutes long):

Races 3 and 4 at oschersleben had less incidents but i might still upload some tomorrow. If i happen to race the ai with other cars and come across strange incidents ill upload them here as well. If someone else wants to share some of their problems feel free to do so.
    To come to an end i invite nano to tell me that the ai in r3e is just horrible and everybody else to tell me what im doing wrong ;D

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    can you tell me what % Ai

and Nano , make it constructive and rational or you will burn

Andi

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    For this championship 114%. I drive on stock setup cuz im too lazy to make 14 setups and to not create another difference between human and ai.

4. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    thanks , ill post a bit later with an opinion, need to eat and have at least a beer first

Andi

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Take your time :D

6. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    2nd vid is a mixed bag of the AI and driver errors. Half is you turning into them, not the other way around. ;)
    1st one does illustrate one of the weirder things about the R3E AI; it seems to have a strange blind-spot at 45 degree angles.
    If you're in front you're fine, side-by-side you're fine. But if you're on one of the corners of an AI car, you suddenly cease to exist. :D
    Haven't a clue as to what causes it, and I haven't had any real trouble with it myself. Then again, I almost exclusively race the AI, so maybe I've simply gotten used to it.

But generally speaking, open-wheelers are harder to race against the AI than tintops.
    Mainly is has to do with the super-short braking-distances involved, and the higher closing speeds.
    Brake or turn at the 'wrong' point, and there is very little time for the AI to react.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Some of those bumps do look a little "amateurish" on the part of the AI, but many also just look like racing incidents to me... two cars trying to grab the same line and tapping each other in the process. One problem racing sim AI always has is that it is not good at predicting the movements of a human driver. We're erratic creatures that are far more capable of reacting to sudden changes in our surroundings than the AI of a computer game, so I think we have to make some allowances for that and drive accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    @CheerfullyInsane Then imma start defending myself :D
    For the first incident in the 2nd video i probably do initiate the contact but thats because the ai is not on a route that would result in me having space in the left kink. I didnt expect that and we started rubbing tires.
    For the double contact through the final two corners i got mad at the first one and didnt feel like leaving too much space through the final corner.
    And for the last one in the final corner from what i could see from the cockpit the ai came pretty much outta nowhere and i didnt expect him to make a move there.
    Either way the ai seem a bit op in the last two corners so they try to pass where imo you cant pass and it goes wrong sometimes
    Edit: the final corner is just a little lift so for the ai to close in that much they probably go in flat but i dont think theyd make it through and still leave me space at the exit. So contact is pretty likely either way

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  9. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Yeah im not saying theyre all the ai going crazy but if these little things happen too often it gets a bit annoying as well. This is roughly 10 incidents in 30 minutes of racing and that is excluding the few bumps when i got caught out by the ai braking so early/hard.
    I guess im still at a point where i expect the ai to behave like a human. Thats what theyre simulating afterall. But maybe that mindset is what usually keeps me away from ai racing as well and id be better off accepting their differences :D

10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Afaik this is being addressed atm, especially while the AI is cornering. If this passes beta, you should see some awareness improvements soonish.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Sounds about right.
    I think this is more of a mind-set thing than anything else. As mentioned, I almost exclusively race the AI so I suspect that I've simply gotten used to some of the quirkier behavior that the AI occasionally delves into. :D
    Well, that and the fact that I very rarely do high downforce cars. There's just something basically wrong about a car that doesn't move beneath you.

12. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    So races 3 and 4 (oschersleben) and races 5 and 6 (imola) have been done and compared to hockenheim it went better but still a few weird ones in there.

First one at imola unfortunately isnt really on the video :D but i was on the inside half a car length ahead and the ai just turned into me like i wasnt there

13. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You've been Shumacher'd....

14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Bah, nowt but love taps, when I was a lad and 7 of us lived in a broken bottle on the side of the motorway...............................

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well, every race I try to respect AI and do not overtake in highly dangerous corners. I had plenty exciting races from last position and going step by step forward with clean overtaking, mainly when I exploit better corner exit speed. This is very, very satisfying for me. When I try "dirty" driving, its finish with incidents, contacts, crashes and frustrating finally. I prefer 40 - 60 min. races, so there is a lot of time for patient and tolerant driving. After all, if I keep calm in the race, its resulting for stable and consistent driving and better AI.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Coincidentally I raced F3 at Imola on adaptive AI this weekend. I do recognize some of these complaints, as the AI isn’t perfect, but nevertheless I had an excellent experience with some very close racing. A few love taps here and there for sure and overtaking into the chicanes is fairly suicidal, but that’s fairly representative of real racing. But it is possible to throw a move round the outside of Tosa and have the AI respect you. Not perfect, but really really good nonetheless!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    2nd that. And luckily the AI isn’t perfect. We’re also not perfect so if the AI makes mistakes then that is no problem for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    On the other hand, AI fails with defensive driving and they dont use inside corners parts. It seduces to simple and cheap overtaking, what often results to incidents.

19. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    this depends on car class and track , and on Ai % , some are guilty but not all

Andi

20. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    So finally continued this championship and had some pretty nice racing around sepang gp except for this last lap incident that cost me the win

Also did two races at most back in march but forgot to post and now dont bother going back to look at the replays :D