FFB Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KW Studios, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    That was a while ago info rr.JPG

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    I´m pretty happy with the road feeling. The ffb meter shows little forces even on straights, i feel them in my wheel and it even wobbles a bit when i take my hands away.

Thx. This pretty much fixed the only issue i had with the ffb in RR: My wheel always felt very dead/light around the center like there were a couple degrees without steering forces kinda like an very old G25/G27 so i had to use Min Force but it felt never as good as in AMS for me until now. It was set to 1.0 and i reduced it to 0.75. I must have overlooked this parameter for the last 6 years and no one ever mentioned it either :D

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  3. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Did some more testing and i have to say the change from 1.0 to 0.75 of the FFB steer force exponent is a real game changer for me.

I have a Fanatec CSR and because of it´s high mechanical resistance i use the Fanatec Drift Mode Setting on 2-3 to get a better feeling for weight transfer, details ect. With the FFB steer force exponent on 1.0 the mentioned FFB deadzone i had got more pronounced the higher i set the Drift mode.

Beside of the FFB deadzone or because of it i always had the feeling that the steering/FFB in RR had a little bit lag to it when i compared RR with AMS back to back. Driving in AMS felt more direct/precise with a better feeling for the car so it was a bit easier for me to catch the car in AMS. This also got fixed for me with the lower steer force exponent.

The SimBin FFB Guide exlained it on point: "Tip: to adjust this parameter, check wheel countersteering behavior...when you heavily oversteer and then the rear is brutally coming back and starts oversteering the other way....wheel should countersteer quickly"

So this deadzone gave me the feeling that the FFB is a bit behind the visuals which made it harder to feel/control a loose rear end at corner exit

The guide also mentions that a lower FFB steer force exponent will give you a less detailed FFB. With my old settings and the exponent value at 1.0 / Min Force at 10% some bumps on some tracks felt very sharp and spiky - sometimes a bit unrealistic/weird to me so i did a test session with the new settings at Zolder which is a very bumpy track and it feels surprisingly still as bumpy on 0.75 as with 1.0 but the bumps feel better / more realistic to me and my wheel still wobbles on the main straight when no other force beside bumps is applied.

[​IMG]

My new settings atm:

FFB steer force exponent: 0.75

Wheel Settings: SEn - Off | FF - 100 | Sho - 000 | Dri - 2-3 | Spr - Off | Dpr - Off

Ingame:

[​IMG]

and all the FFB Effect Settings below that: 0%

I´m still not shure about the Steering Rack setting... Have to do some more testing...

Btw: Has anyone ever tested the different FFB steer force balance mode settings or FFB steer force rear grip exponent at 0 ?

"FFB steer force balance mode="0" // Mode for how to add the steering forces together (lateral, load and diff). Acceptable values: 0 = lat + load + diff, 1 = sqrt(lat^2 + load^2 + diff^2), 2 = sqrt(lat^2 + load^2) + diff, 3 = sqrt(lat^2 + (load + diff)^2), 4 = sqrt((lat + load)^2 + diff^2)"

"FFB steer force rear grip exponent="1.0" // Range 0.0 to infinity, recommended: around 1.0. Exponent applied to rear grip loss weight"

Some people recommend to change the FFB rear grip exponent to 0 since the steering is only attached to the front wheels.

@RWB 3vil What wheel do you have ? I ask because you mentioned that the FFB steer force exponent was set to 0.75 by default for you and i looked at some wheel profiles and they all had it at 1.0

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Will test it.. ;)

5. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Isn`t it a pain when you have to throw your days schedule out the window and instead have to boot up raceroom and put in loads of laps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is dramatically but someone has to do it..:rolleyes:

7. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well I tested your settings but I prefer mine. But I lowered the for e exponent to 0,75. Although I don’t know if I feel a difference with the standard 1.0. There must be something changed because the FFB stays neatly between the two lines now. No clipping anymore. There wasn’t much clipping but now it disappeared completely. :D

I had some wonderful races in the Porche 911 GT3 GTM18 on Mid Ohio Full. What a lovely track for the GT3 cars..

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    remember something , ffb is muscle memory , you can learn from it , ok unless you have vibration in your but and a bit of movemnt then its different ...
    my solution is to set the wheel, spring/ weight to my daily drive
    after that add information you understand from the game and learn from it

my rcs is hacked to death

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Yes, i cant tell you why because it was 2-3 years ago but using a g25 i had it set to 4, at the time i did spend a lot of time testing and setting the ffb to suit me, which turns out it was a crock of shit cause somehow i managed to introduce oscilation around the centre that just shouldnt be there, it may well have been that setting could of been something else, idk, dont really care right now :)
    All the variables are worth having a play with, but you know that already ;)

just tried a couple of my g25 settings on my current wheel, this was set to .5 which gave me the same rapid oscilation left n right, set to .75 its nots so bad but still not right .85 is probably about right for my current wheel.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  10. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Where do I find the steering force exponent to change it ?

11. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    In your controller profile.

C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet

12. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks. What exactly does that do?

13. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    "This parameter changes the way FFB output is filtered (how the forces increase when you turn the wheel…slower or faster than linearly). Defines how the steering feels (loose or sharp) in the center.

Lower value will give you a sharp steering feeling but will introduce oscillations around center and you will lose details in forces.

Higher values will give you a loose steering in center, but more details in forces.

To adjust wheel behavior in center and change steering sensitivity, change "FFB steer force exponent.

Lower value will give you a sharp steering feeling but will introduce oscillations around center like if a centering spring was used, and you will lose details in forces.

Higher values will give you a loose steering in center, but more details in forces.

Tip: to adjust this parameter, check wheel countersteering behavior...when you heavily oversteer and then the rear is brutally coming back and starts oversteering the other way....wheel should countersteer quickly.

Lower the parameter until you are satisfied with wheel countersteering behavior in such situation.

For information, default Simbin value is 0.75 and you should not go lower than 0.5 otherwise the wheel will oscillate violently around center."

https://simracing.fandom.com/wiki/Force_Feedback_Tweaking_Guide_for_Simbin_Games

14. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

My RCS is a custom profile

"FFB steer force grip exponent="1.0" in RRE is the understeer setting. Leaving the rear at 1.0 means that you will get 100% effect (if its enabled) Honestly i dont think any setting will effect the wheel. It may as well be left at 1.0.If you alter the US effect in game and alt tab to your rcs you will see the above setting has altered say you set 50% US in game the file will read 0.5 then still 1.0 for the rear

15. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    FFB steer force exponent=

As described in Andys post is makes the forces feel way more defined the higher the number but past 1.0 the centre of the wheel feels empty the higher you go which is weird. You could make up for the empty middle with extra min force i suppose but i have not tried that but the clarity is quite nice when your above 1.0 say 1.1. Under 1.0 the wheel feels more snappy and responsive as the forces are with you from the middle onwards ( pre loaded torque lets say)

FFB steer force grip exponent= is the understeer effect ( lightens the wheel with grip loss)

16. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Do you mean the Player1.PLR file? How do you open that file? What program? It won't open in Notepad or Wordpad?

17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Here

C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet

Just using notepad.

18. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Changed the described parameter to 0.75 from 1.0 and my CSL Elite PS4 doesn't feel well after that.
    Going back to 1.0 now.

19. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    On my CSW v2.5 pc. It feels nice at 0.75

20. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... I don't know what the problem is, but I can't open that file on any of my computers. It opens, but the content is scrambled, like a written in Windows Wing Dings or something. I've tried it on three different computers. The other files in that folder open fine, once I tell it to use Notepad. I even tried deleting it and letting the game build another. Same thing. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.