Telemetry SecondMonitor (Timing & status App)

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Winzarten, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad people are finding the app usefull. :)

Sector3 made a last minute change to the shared memory, I've adapted the change and updated to the installation file ;)

Edit: And Another :D Installation updated ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Compatiblity update finaly pushed to autoupdater :)

3. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    New proper version is out :) :

Main App:
    • Added Fullscreen button: This button will toggle the window title bar off and on. Currently it is placed in not so logical place, will most likely change in the future. :)
    • Camber is now visualized on the wheel status (wheels icons will be angled equally to the current camber).
    • Fuel and Oil Temperatures are now colored
    • R3E: Optimal Brake and Tyres temperatures provided by the r3e shared memory are now used. Previously stored values are automatically overriden.
    • Improved handling of Timed Sessions with extra lap in session remaining calculation (session info and fuel prediction).
    • R3E: Added the recently released cars to the r3eData.json (so they should no longer be unknown)
    • Fix: Fixed relative gap to lapped/lapping cars.

Telemetry Viewer
    • Auto Refresh: Laps completed after the session was opened will be automatically added to the lap list, without the need to manually re-open the session.
    • New Chart: Suspension Velocity chart added. The value is either from simulator shared telemetry, or calculated from suspension travel for sims that only provide suspension travel information.
    • New Chart: Turbo boost.
    • New Chart: Camber, available for R3E, RFactor2, Assetto Corsa. Angle units can now be found in the settings (degrees, radians, milliradians).
    • New Chart: DownForce, either divided by rear - front (RFactor2 exposes these, but they don't look to be filled) or overall (R3E). Force units can now be found in the settings (Newtons, pound - force)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Hi. Thanks for the update. I've noticed a couple of small issues...

Turning on the ignition but not starting the engine still causes turbo pressure to change....turbo would have no pressure if the car is not running. Turning on the ignition (and so also the fuel pump) has no effect on fuel pressure.

Turbo pressure is sometimes a minus number.....not sure how that would be possible.

Depending on turbo pressure, the box the value lives in changes size causing the map to resize etc (test by revving group c Porsche in neutral)

5. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    All pressures are takens straight from the shared memory, there is no processing done to them, so there is nothing I can do make them see more "logical".

I was also confused by the negative turbo, so I did some googling :D Apparently negative turbo pressures are possible. When the turbo is not spooled up, then you bassicaly have a naturaly aspirated engine. So you don't have forced induction, but have suction, thus the negative value. But r3e is the only sim that is reporting this way.

I will play a little with the control to make it not to chage size, I already did, but obviously not well enough :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Minor problems anyway. The app is fantastic. Love the fact it's can be made borderless now, it's a small thing but makes it look so much neater....

7. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    LOVE THIS APP.

Recently found this thanks to @ravey1981 mentioning this app on another thread.
    Now this might have been mentioned prior, but is there any future plans to add compatibility to older SimBin/Sector3 GTR2/Race07 sims??? Or is there an issue with lack of info coming from the games? I know they are old sims, but I still find them fun.

Nevertheless, thanks for such an awesome app.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Sadlo no, I play these gems myself, but they sadly do not provide enough information for the app work with them. They provide only very sparse information about the player car, but no timing, track position, or opponents information.

9. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    thought that might be an issue. Thanks for the quick reply.

10. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Hello @Winzarten just wanted to say wonderful work, I've started to use this to help me develop cars.
    Two things which would be useful (maybe they're already there and I've missed them):
    • Lap delta graph
    • With tyre temps, inside middle and outside would be easier to read if they were a slightly different shade of the same colour.
    It's very normal. The pressure is negative as the engine is drawing air in (ie a vacuum) whereas when the turbo spins up, the air is being forced in, so it becomes pressurised.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    That's great to hear :) I can only hope the comming features will make the app even more usefull.
    To the questions.
    • Lap delta should be possible right now. Below each single line graph there is an option to set that graph to delta to reference. If 2 or more laps are selected, then it will display the delta of the value to the reference lap. Reference one is the one picked in the replay control. This should transform the lap time chart to lap delta chart.
    • Colors: Yes, this is something I'm aware. My first idea to solve it was to change the style of the line (doted, or dashed) for the outer/inner temperatures. But to say that his butchered performance would be an understatement :D I haven thought that mutch about color changes, because the colors are user-picked, and I thought it might be difficult to automatically select similiar colors, in RGB. But as I already have support for HSL (as It was needed for the fluent color change on the main app), it should be pretty easy to change the user selected color to something lighter/darker, and it is something which I will definitely try. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Here is a little preview of what will come in the next version. This will bring the first bunch of chart which I call "aggregated charts" (and if someone doesn't come with a better name, it will stay :) ). Instead of existing bunch of charts whose purpose is mainly to compare laps, these charts take all the data points, from all selected charts and display in a way that should help you analyze the general behavior of the car.

One of the charts comming will be a suspension velocity histogram. For those uninitiated: This chart shows the % of time the suspension is moving at a given speed, which is usefull when finetunning damper settings. Most of the time you would like this chart to be symetrical.

TelemetryViewer_2019-04-11_18-38-26.png

There is still some functionality missing, like user-changeable band size, or general statistical information (i.e. average suspension velocity). But I hope these should be ready shortly, and the new version will hit before easter.

In the end I would want for the bands to be selectable, which would cause highlight of data points which contributed to the band on the track map. This will be more usefull in other charts, like RPM histogram, where you could quickly see where on track you're in the wrong RPM range. But I'm not sure this will be available in the first version. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Scatter plot will be another presentation used for the "aggregated charst". In the image below is an RPM vs Speed scatterplot where the relation between speed and rpm, for each gear is visualized.
    TelemetryViewer_2019-04-14_17-45-27.png
    The next version should also include similar scatter plot for horizontal acceleration vs RPM/Speed (ofc, only for data points where the player was on full throttle), so it can be seen at which rpm the engine has the most "oomph" ;)

All these charts are opened in own separate window, and you can have as many of them opened as you want (also of the same kind). Each of them can also have data points from different laps, as the lap selection at the moment of openning determines laps to use for that chart.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  14. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    What did I miss that telemetry shows no data?
    Everything on the timing screen is working and enable tememetry is checked.
    2019-04-17 22_21_27-RaceRoom Racing Experience.png

15. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    you have to click the checkbox for a specific lap to view the telemetry for that lap

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Ahhhh... easy one once you have noticed the checkbox :)

17. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Tbh, you're not the first one who struggled with this step, so maybe I need to think about how to make it more intuitive. :)

18. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    New version released, including the charts demostrated above. :)
    For full list of currently available charts check the wiki - https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/wiki/Aggregated-Charts

Some other notable changes (both user requests :) for this version:
    • Telemetry Logging: The application will now also log invalid laps. This can be disabled in the options menu. In rare cases where a sim repots two laps with the same number (can happen in outlaps in practice/qualification), the older lap will get overwritten by the newer.
    • Colors:Lines in multiline charts (i.e. all Wheel Charts), will not have slighly different color for better readability
    Sadly, band selection didn't made into this release, as the underlying chart framework has a bug with selecting bar line series (every other series work :D ), so I have ot figure out a workaround.
    In the next version I would also like to include charts for better ride height analysis, that is ride height vs lateral/horizontal acceleration. And as R3E is the only sim really providing a downforce value, I can do a ride height vs downforce, to see how much is the downforce affecting chassis attidue. Also currently there is weird average line in the scatter plots, and I would like to add a proper linear regresion line.

Also, I'm all ears, if you have ideas/materials on other ways/charts to usefuly present data in the telemetry viewer. As I mentioned previously, this is my first experience with telemetry, so I'm just learning what is realy useful ;)

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    @Winzarten

You may want to have a look at the Motec i2 software, it's analysis software for real world cars and also works in some older sims like race07 for example. The i2 standard version is free to use and comes with an example file showing how charts etc are used. May be of some use as inspiration....

https://www.motec.com.au/i2/i2downloads/

20. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Somehow I always assumed that even the sw is licensed, I will definitely have a look :)

And a small update will most likely come today, fixing the freezing the application experienced when sorting the grid (every 10 seconds) on bigger grids. This will also allow to resort the grid one every update without any performance hit.

• Winner Winner x 1