Known Issue [Collection] My game is performing worse since the April '19 update

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Christian G, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    As the number of people saying they're experiencing a performance drop is more than a handful, I think it makes sense to have a collection thread for info regarding performance drops experienced after the April 2019 update and/or using WebHUD.

If you want to help our programmers to identify the cause, please provide as many relevant details (game mode, track-car combo, race setup, graphics settings, PC specs, everything else that you feel is directly connected to this issue occurring) as possible here.

Thanks for taking the time.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It appears many of those who experienced this did so in SP, while following AIs around the track. This might indeed indicate some issue in relation to one of the changes made on the AI.

Could those of you who made this observation test this by using the same graphics settings but joining an MP server instead? I know there's most likely a reason you prefer SP
    but you'd make this small sacrifice for the greater good of all mankind.. ;)

Also, you don't have to actually finish a race, just go in there and follow some cars around in practice to see if the performance is better or the same or worse.

3. suspectmonkey

suspectmonkey New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've been experiencing performance issues since the update, but as I haven't any benchmarks from before the update I can really only provide anecdotal evidence. I thought I'd post in here to see if there is some information I can provide that would help. Just to check, when you say "March '19" update you mean the update released on 4th April, right?

The reason I noticed the drop is because I use RTSS (7.2.2) to limit my framerate to 97fps as I have a 100Hz G-Sync display. I use the High graphics preset but with Motion Blur > Off and prior to this release when I've been the only car on track I got a steady 97fps. Now I'm noticing about a 20% drop in framerates and I've had to change my graphics preset to Medium to achieve the same kind of performance.

When I first tested the new Group C cars I ran a race at Monza with 19 AI cars and my fps was fluctuating wildly, at some times dropping into the 50's. I thought with the AI cars my CPU might have been bottlenecking, but my GPU was maxed at 100% anyway.

I should also say I am not using the new HUD and haven't even looked into setting it up yet. The only overlay I have running is the RTSS framecounter. I always run the 32bit RRRE exe as I my framerate used to drop to 5fps after about 10mins of game time when using the 64bit exe and RTSS which I've seen reported elsewhere.

I'll try and see if I can get some more specific feedback based on the posts above, but in the meantime here are some specs:
    Win 10 Pro 64bit 1803, Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 1060 6GB (417.71), 16GB 2400MHz

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yes, we referred to it as the March update, but as it's been released in April you're right and I changed the title to avoid any confusion. Thanks for pointing this out and for your feedback.

5. Simon Fillingham

Simon Fillingham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    Happens to me on our (RRLeagues) servers. I have been on there solo, and when others have been on.

Anderstorp GP
    GTR1/GTR4

Specifically, on s/f straight fps drops to ~90. When I kill dash.exe it jumps to between 135-150.

If i set dash.exe and web overlays to core 2 & 3 and set the process to low priority I can gain an extra 10 fps, but still it hurts.

i5 6700k / gtx970

6. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Well for me so far it's nothing to do with the new Hud, taken it for now and the launch line in Steam, I get the same result with it working or not, haven't tested online yet will do that tomorrow with RD race so will come back to you with those result and compare it with today's SP testing..

7. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Problem solved!
    Updated to the last Videodriver (Nvidia for me) brings back the old glory!!
    Now even with the new HUD.
    I thought of that....
    Thanx to GooseCreature.
    DC

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  8. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
  9. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I don't know wich GFX CARD and Processor you are useing,but there was a new Win 10 Patch for Version 1803-(09)
    on Thursday.Maybe the combination with the Win Update and the new GFX Driver did it at least for me.
    Also Me from the back with 30 cars and Porsche 964,steady 60 fps using V-Sync.New HUD + a mix of the old one.
    I-7700k @4,20 Ghz and Nvidia 8GB -1080ti.

10. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    So apart from the online test which I 'll do tonight, everything else hasn't helped in any form, so new hud on and off, changing nvidia drivers and so on, testing with new cars, cars with new physics variation of tracks, all has the same result, which is as soon as you start adding AI into the mix wave goodbye to the fps, sometimes 100fps which has never happened before this patch.

11. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! Did the update and that did raise the average fps from 43 to 53 (Silverstone 20 AI) and from 98 to 113 (one car).

If you click on the spoiler you can see my specs

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Wich windows version?
    Have updated your OS? + Drivers?
    DC

13. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Test Test again!
    Full Grid 45 Group C cars.GFX Settings high .Nurburg GT.Me in the back last.
    No v-sync.1080p - one monitor.
    FPS at start about 72.Average 88.Highest 145.
    Sounds good to me.

14. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Test Test again!
    45 Porsche 964 classic cup cars.GFX Settings high .Nurburg GT.Me in the back last.
    v-sync.1080p - one monitor.
    With the new Hud is much more worse-low Fps about 55 in the start finish line and in corners.
    35 Porsche 964 classic cup cars with new Hud - same bad performance.
    Same procedere WITHOUT new HUD - everything is ok.Very Strange.Seems HUD/Car related.
    The new HUD eats up FPS stability a lot more....it doesn't matter,how much opponents you have running.
    Conclusion: Sector 3 must look into it - there is a loss of performance with the HUD.
    DC

15. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    for me its not gpu related its cpu related , ai eat up cpu /webhud eats cpu so when both on , less fps due to cpu running at max

as for webhud , i think the api etc and the options to create stuff is great , just hope people make there own stuff and strip ut down so that it isnt a cpu hog

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    How many visible cars do you have?

Tested with max visible cars (52) Min: 37 Max: 80 Avg: 52
    with 20 AI Min: 54 Max: 99 Avg: 64

But i use 144hz, 1440p

111.jpg 222.jpg 333.jpg

17. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Also maximum visible cars as i wrote before. Every settings in gfx on high. I check again later ...

18. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    So i too have some performance issues
    It doesnt seem to make a difference whether i have the dash.exe running or not (although i only tested one car/track combo).
    But fps are still down by quite a bit. Been in a multiplayer session a couple of times so far and always left after a maximum of 10 minutes cuz it just wasnt driveable.
    Regarding single player when sitting in the pits at nords vln in the r8 i now have 60 fps. Before the update that wouldve been low to mid 80s if i remember correctly.
    Also started a little test race with the exact same race settings that id also used before the update (gt3, gt4 and porsche cup at bathurst) and couldnt get above like 35 fps before i stopped the race after 5 minutes. Dont know how many fps it were before but it mustve been quite a bit more cuz i didnt notice any problems when driving that race previously and now it was rather difficult to drive properly.
    Ill add my graphics settings and everything i know about my laptop (which isnt much i guess?)

Attached Files:

19. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    52 cars visible - 45 cars opponents.
    You can't set more!
    With the group C cars and the porsche classic cup.
    No problems at all!
    But with the new Hud,the Fps goes down to 55 Fps at start and on some places,till it reaches the wanted 60 Fps again . So the Hud has an impact on the Framerate.
    All others settings as in my post before.

20. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    i5 3.50ghz 4 Cores
    nVidia FeForce GTX 1060 6 RAM
    Driver: 419.47

Crew Chief is running.
    V-sync on and maintain a solid 60fps.
    Circuit: Most
    Car: Porsche 964

(Reference the attached image from MSI Afterburner)
    1: Standard HUD: Porsche 964 (single player practice - 1 lap)
    2: Standard HUD: Porsche 964 (single player race - 1 lap - 23 opponents)
    3: New HUD: Porsche 964 (single player practice - 1 lap)
    4: New HUD: Porsche 964 (single player race - 1 lap - 23 opponents)

Updated to the latest nVidia driver which did help with the stuttering.
    But FPS dips into the 50's at the start of a race with the new HUD.
    I normally run with more opponents, but as you can see, my system is
    getting pushed to the limit with the new HUD.
    It appears like a lot of my overhead is being used for the HUD data.

Attached Files: