Request for OPTIONAL "Road Surface Effects"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    OPTIONAL "Road Surface Effects" would be such a great immersion factor. Don't want to compare RR with other sims but I must say, an AC has a pretty good road effects.

Fake road effects or not, any will do!

Best Regards

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. [RWB] FxUK

[RWB] FxUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, have to say, I couldn't live without my Buttkicker - Throne Thumper & Sim Commander (or Simhub)
    I get the feedback where it's meant to be, mostly, through my backside.

But can understand the request ;)
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Agree with the tactile. Once you have it it's terrible to drive without it. Weirdly I find AC to have less road feel than RR. I am only using a very old G27 but there is definitely the feeling of texture that comes through in RR. No idea which settings affect it though, probably different for other wheels....

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    If i compare R3E with other games like AC, i definitely feel enough road feel in R3E with my TM TX wheel. IMO there's no need for more road feel. But like @ravey1981 already said, maybe different for other wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    For more road detail, i'd suggest increasing the minimum force and vertical load settings in ffb.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    All about vertical load, why do you think the numbers go so high, I get a great road feel, just be warned, too high and bumps can catch you right out. I actually tune the vertical & horizontal (lateral) first then intensity, bring in any other options you use to get your slip etc sorted, I only use kerb in the canned section but at 10% as the vertical sorts the intensity out, again too high and you'll never go near a kerb again.
    Don't be fearful of going to the extremes in certain settings, especially, if like me; you're just a peasant with a rubber band wheel, a lot of the subtle feelings are muted by the belts themselves, so sometimes you have to exaggerate in certain areas, well worth it though. My TM TX300 feels great and have no intention of upgrading for a goodly while!

8. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    (Direct Drive small mige here) I've tried Increasing the minimum force and vertical load (both together and independently) It didn't work for me because it changes the overall force feedback feel. It is worth mentioning that I can feel a little bit of a road effects on Bathurst and Salsburgring but, still not as prominent as in other sims. That being said, I still prefer RR ffb over any other sims.
    Is it very hard to come up with some kind of a road effect booster for those who cant get enough through their wheel base without affecting the overall ffb feel?

In addition, since Sector3 ffb testing is primarily done on the G29 (which is apparently preferred method), It would be greatly appreciated to see some additional options and testing procedures for the Direct Drive users please?

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Very informative but that is not the case with Direct Drive. It may work well on consumer wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i get confused by this , can some one tell me what you mean by road effects , are we talking bumps and changes in camber etc or are we talking about the vibration created from the rolling friction of the car ?

Andi

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    To my understanding "road effects" are bumps, holes, cracks, uneven road surface etc.... that are found on the road/ track surface and ideally should be felt through the wheel while driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    In AC and RF2 you can "feel" the road surface through the wheel - not only bumps. Best you try them and you will notice the difference.

Not saying that RRE is wrong in this place. Never have driven a racecar, only boring street cars. So i could not say if this "roadfeel" in AC and RF2 is only a fake effect. Through the wheel of my Audi A4 3.0 TDI i could feel no road noise.

LilSki wrote here something about road meshes and road feel and how to add some noise to the track: https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...n-track-making-plus-tips.122794/#post-2256505 (btw: S3 should buy his tracks Watkins Glen, Riverside and Bridgehampton for RRE, would be a dream).

13. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Strange that I feel no road surface in RF2 apart from Sebring and even then it's mainly bumps..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I have tactile feel from the transducers, but after the update, SimVibe wasn't working for a couple days, and I just couldn't race the title without it. It felt super sterile without the tactile feel, similar to how some AC track mods feel when there's no surface mesh. Great FFB, but I do wish there was more tactile feel in the wheel.

15. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I can't say how it is actually with rF2, but for AC with standard settings, fresh install, no mod track or car, and a belt driven wheel (CSWv2) that are 100% fake effects. From time to time I try ACwith a road car at the nordschleife, and even with the "soft" suspensions of the road cars of AC with the standard FFB setting I completely fear about the health of my wheel.

Nobody on this planet can make me believe this is real.

Also Christian Menzel (german GT and Touringcar driver) mentioned last weekend at the WTCR live coverage: "Most people think racecars are "bretthart" ("hard like wood") but thats not true, they are softer then most people think."

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This has just given me an idea... I'm going to put another bass shaker under my wheel deck and have it only respond to front suspension and road feel. Should add another layer immersion. If the gain is kept pretty low it should feel very subtle....

17. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Best example for "no road feel" is imho Road America. The tarmac has visual many of repaired flaws but beside a few bumps the track feels like a mirror.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I already give for lost the battle to incorporate% aggression, now all the forces to incorporate% road surface effects.

Running in Hungary is like a pool table.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I'm down with being a peasant, lowest of the lows, barnacle on the arse, whilst sliding down the banister of life! ;)
    Yet sir the peasant doth feel bumpety, bumps in the road with his rubber band wheel! :p
    There's me thinking DD wheels have far more finesse and with the superior speed the capability to reproduce every ripple. Now with DD'ers getting good FFB with rF2/AMS and belters not and vice versa with RR, I'm gonna hedge my bets and say things must be done differently, as RR has far more FFB setup options which I use and get a great feel, no matter what I touch in rF2/AMS the feeling is woolly in direct comparison to the RR feel which is sharp, vibrant and informative.
    Maybe it's time old moneybags suspension (KW) chap should put his hand in his pocket and buy S3 a DD wheel, as must be quite difficult to program software for something you don't have access to. No idea why wheel manufacturers don't have a prototype they can pass around developers of Sims to analyse, it's all about the force feedback and I bet the popularity of all our sims is based mainly on which give us the best feeling. So in everyone's interest to do this. Fancy if I owned an expensive DD wheel and I could not get a good feel in RR, I'd be spamming their email address with a request to get their acts together, else there will be a wheel in the post to their returns department. Failing that it's knock, knock on their door, never fails to get results, that personal touch! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    It would be wrong to say that RR DD doesn't feel good. In fact, not bad at all but obviously need lots of work. Missing elements are evident plus some weird osculations and other things are happening. There is no much workaround either. You could find settings created by users but still lots of compromises are made which is pointless. DD is capable of so much more and so far Sector3 has done a great job with the consumer wheels.

One day, the best sim in the world will come up with the best Direct Drive OSW support patch! I believe in RR :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019