Dear programmers: Why is it so hard to make this game better ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N.Bengs, Mar 17, 2019.

1. N.Bengs

N.Bengs New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some things never changed since the beginning of this game... fkin why ?

1. After the Quali, you have 1 min to wait. If you click on Time Informations to see the ranking after the quali, you see NOTHING....

2. After the race, in the overview behind the race time a 2nd column with everyone`s best lap.

3. Session Info. It would be very very helpful, if we see in this section, if there is a mandatory pit stop or not. And ALL others informations which are useful. Use the space you have there!

4. An acceptably chat. We are not able to write with each other. The chat disappears after 10sec and you have no chance to check it later, like in GT Legends.
    Further in the "Portal" is no possibility to write private messages to my friends.

5. If you crash early, but want to watch you friend driving, this isnt possible.... Why isnt it allowed to watch ? Or rejoining a running game and just watch my friend.

6. Joining a server during WarmUp. Ditto not possible... In Assetto Corsa, you can join a running race.... It should be possible to join during WarmUp, or better still in the 60sec waiting time between quali/WarmUp and race.

7. Multiplayer Lobby. God this is so bad, sometimes one of my friends are on three Server simultaneously.... Doesnt matter how often i hit Refresh or leaving the lobby and join multiplayer again.

Most of the drivers dont want rain, night, other tyre realistics, we just want this little features, that makes the game more playable.

I guess i forgot some things, but these are things, that disturbs me everytime so much, that i want to start Assetto Corsa. But in AC, the extremly dumb tyre heating implementation force me to press alt+f4 xD

Thanks for reading and hopefully you change some suggestions.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with your point of view, as all of these little things were bothering me as well, since the beginning of my R3E journey back in 2017... It all comes down to a total UI revamp, which according to a march dev note, unfortunately isn't really considered as a part of upcoming updates.

Couple of days ago there was a league race in our community, planned at a certain time. Unluckily, the admin of a dedicated server didn't reset it on a proper time, which caused the race to be delayed due to the lack of possibility of advancing to the next session on demand (the admin was absent). I know that new dedicated server tools are actually coming soon™, but still there are many other simple things that should have been already added/changed a long time ago :)

One way or another, I like the direction S3 is heading. Things that are planned for the future are also needed and kindly welcomed. What I'm sure of is the fact, that this little studio really listens to its audience and as far as something we ask for is reachable, at the end of the day we got it :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  3. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Even if some points are valid it feels like that kind of posting one does after a looooooong frustrating day without sunshine :)

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Id would take server admins can kick players from their own server over those features any day.

Why they removed the feature baffles me endlessly. Every Gmotor game has had that function. Prior Simbin games had it.

Speculation:
    It is some weird EU regulation that were not aware of? Even SMS and Pcars 2 removed it after it was featured in launch for months. Via a tweet I Bell stated it was for legal reasons which seems weird but is this part of some EU law that forbids people to be removed from a game they paid to play even if they are being a twit and deserve the removal from private run servers?

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    gmotor /pmotor

mmmm
    are you sure that r3e is that ?
    yes the physics is from that side, aspects off and heavily modified pmotor , but the rest including the graphics imho isnt (web based pages , web based gui; external dedi run in web browser ;

Andi

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    I think SMS removed it because hosts would abuse this feature by kicking race leaders/fast guys for easy license points (in P2P).

Being able to kick a player is in the works.

7. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Yes it has been built on ISImotor 2

8. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    being built on an being are very different , from my time hanging around here , we have mentions of many ways the game has moved from the original , gtr² was already a modified version of the isi engine , race 07 again moved away a little more ... we had the console build that introduced the lizard graphics , then r3e which stripped back more stuff , added a fully online side with protection etc , that has data being loaded into the game , the graphics engine stripped down (1 light source , ie the sun ) hence no night etc ..... yes there is still the gmotor from isi in there (pmotor-physics side) but again modified since gtr²

it is a very different beast to the isi motor which combined graphics and physics from isi

but then again i may be completly wrong

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  9. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Its no different from what Reiza have done with the same engine compared to what ISI did with rFactor.

I know that Reiza have had help developing newer features for the older ISImotor/Gmotor. I would expect that Simbin/S3 have had additional help from ISI/397 with their version of it too.

10. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    this im not sure of , i have some vague recolection from the gtr² period were the licence for the engine didnt involve rolling support , but an as is with the right to modify , but at my age finding my shoes can be hard some days

RaceRoom uses its own proprietary RendR graphics engine[4] which is capable of different times of day, features commonly used post-processing effects and has native support for rain. RaceRoom also features a custom audio engine[5]and is often cited as the benchmark sounding racing simulation on PC.[6] In a March 2016 interview with Inside Sim Racing, Sector 3's Jean-François Chardon stated the original ISI code remaining in RaceRoom is "less than 20 percent".[7]

taken from wiki

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  11. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure original gMotor also had only one light source, same for Race07 and GTR2. Other lights were faked through texture that brightened the surface.

12. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    not really because the cars had real headlights and this you could modify in the player controller file in gtr² /rfactor , race 07 im less sure
    but then again that may be wrong and your explination is better , but the rr engine doest have the ability to do the headlights

Andi

13. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Asking programmers why some features are missing is like asking a road construction companies, why the highways go where they go.

Programmers usually don't have much say about what is going to be implemented. They can estimate how long would those things take, but their are not the ones prioritizing work.

As to why those features are not prioritized? When you have lots of planned features, and limited team then it is sometimes very hard to squeeze QoL improvements into new features, as usually it is the new features which sell.

I think sector3 would be more than happy to hire a product owner with such solid market knowledge....

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    well said, also like the phrase "hire a product owner" ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. I hope they will add those features mentioned in the interviews (Rain Night etc)

16. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Night isn't mentioned... just different times of day, which are already available...

Rain... no, you really don't want rain... in the current state of the game, Rain would kill the performance of the game dramatically...

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. doclucio

doclucio Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    The performance is really very good at the moment, rain and night with time progression could be a very nice upgrade, it is difficult but i would pay some bucks for those instead of new livery or cars...just a personal preference, whatever comes is well accepted.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. N.Bengs

N.Bengs New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, its a long frustrating time with Raceroom.
    No significant changes since 4 years.

And these little things, that many of us want, are not very difficult to implement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I don't like the style of writing, but completely agree with the suggestions in the OP.

20. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    If it's been such a long and frustrating 4 years, why has it taken you 4 years to vocalize your frustrations??