Dear programmers: Why is it so hard to make this game better ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N.Bengs, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Lol... I think you've been playing a different game mate! :D The only thing gross exaggeration does is damage your own arguments.

2. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    One thing i fail to understand.
    I'm sure a lot of people myself included would be happy enough to pay reasonable amount of money for upgraded graphics night rain dynamic track better ai yada yada yada
    There is demand, money sitting waiting...
    Is r3e playerbase that small it's not worth it?
    I mean i buy nearly everything sector 3 adds to the game, i would have no problem whosoever to pay £40 for new engine. Ive spent money on far worse games in the past (forza,dirt,pcars)
    At least with r3e i would know it's a great investment with proper after sales support.

3. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    You do realize that it takes multiple developers several years to develop a modern engine. We're talking multi-milion investment. That is investment that is far beyond "I'm a single guy willing to spend 40 pounds". And that is only to change the engine, now you have to change all the assets (cars, tracks), to make use of the new capabilities. They got the numbers, they know how much they are selling and how big is their revenue stream.

Taking a bigger bite that you can chew, or quickly expanding the team (which I would imagine is pretty small), is a quick way how to have no R3E at all. Racing sims are niche. Look at the problems Kunos has with delivering ACC and that is with a competent 3rd party engine (although not so suited for racing sims - medicore VR support, no tripple support), with a very limited scope (Blancpain GT3).

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's why im wondering if the playerbase is too small.
    Im not putting any demands across or saying that sector 3 is silly not to do certain things.

5. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
  6. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah that's waaay too low. Well lets hope ACC turns out great in future and gets more series added. Maybee pcars3 will finally be done right.

7. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    But there is a plan.
    Once, GTR3 will have been released, R3E will change graphics engine to UE3 and day night cycle and weather will be implemented.
    Well, that's the plan.
    Discussion completed.:p

8. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Gtr3 forgot about that lol. It's been quiet, but again after the sh&t they've got for releasing the screenshots no wonder lol. I'd go quiet after reception like that.

9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @Winzarten your statement about changing all assets to new engine is not entirely true. The principle lighting that the assets were designed for is good enough. Meaning this is mostly a conversion process. Still ugly but it can be automated. It probably is still 1-2 man years effort to modernize, but it's not like they have to build the next über-engine. Iracing, rfactor even AC1 show that this sort of tech is good enough. It's not gonna cost millions imo.

10. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    This guy iss on to something. What has been done with AC is just mind blowing.

11. N.Bengs

N.Bengs New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its not my first post.
    And i dont want to write the same sh1t every week.
    For me, these things are obvious, they shouldnt have been post by a casual driver...

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Remember, not all sim racing games have 150 workers at their disposal like some. Development is slower with such a tiny team. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    You know what Churchill said about statistics ? :)

Guess the difference from the time I started simracing is, that you have much more "Simhoppers" than 10-15 Years ago, switching between different titles, also players that habitually buy every title that seems worth the investment, even if they use it once in a while a.s.o...as long RRE/S3 and staff appears alive and kicking I don't waste any time on the "statistical average" :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You've just described me ;) i buy every sim racing title comes out.

15. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Anyways i thi k it got derailed a bit.
    Back to OP, i have to agree all of that seems quite simple to implement. I'd rather have one month with no new content for which we have to pay anyway. I understand there has to be a constant flow of cash from the store as peoples wages have to be paid but would be nice to get those things sorted out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Not all the people working at Sector3 are programmers or feature dev's remember. A lot of them are subject matter experts in there own different areas, be it physics, vehicle art, track modelling, sounds and its not possible to simply release feature after feature if they aren't all programmers. And then there is all the hours and hours and hours of testing before things are ready to be released. Unfortunately thing just take time, but as you might have seen with the march dev update post, there is lots of features coming soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    On the other hand:
    When I see companies like CM that have the ressources, the manpower, a massive PR-division in their back and appear still unable to provide a decent well-balanced FFB (but a buncha cosmetical fixes) to the release of a super-duper-highly-anticipated ( and yes: worthy ) successor with DLC instead of EA (tbh) I gladly stick to the S3 guys here who might be slow in comparison but much more diligent in the process....;)

As I said, the points of the initial post are valid I just don't like the headline with the implication that our devs might be just too stupid to make their game better - I would only say this to provocate answers, if I get none - or its simply the language barrier maybe....

• Like Like x 1
  18. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    We nearly all buy every Sim, yes we have prejudices, authenticity, graphics, tyre model, PC1,2,3,? etc etc
    I think the older you are the more you own, yes for choice but I believe there are many like myself, people who appreciate the fact that we have so many enjoyable sims to start with but more than that I appreciate the work developers do in such a niche market. So I try (retired & poor) to support as many developers as I can, eg. AC, have supported since 2013 but spend little time with it, not because it's crap but because we never really gelled and there are others I prefer to spend my time with, yet by supporting Kunos they have now gone on to ACC, which I like very much and got for a song.
    On the topic of a graphics update to DX11/12, don't hold your breath, even if GT3 ever appears, as far as I understand it, S3 may make the Unreal leap but only if it complies with what RR requires from it. May very well go the route of others and develop their own way to get the benefits of DX11 incorporated into RR with the least disruption to the end user, only time will tell.
    All that just for soon™ :rolleyes:

19. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Maybe all this will come in the next patch update. R3E may surprise us all and go like......BOOM! There you go !!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1