Reshade Settings

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Georg Ortner, Dec 9, 2018.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Nothing. It does something on your monitors.
    Ir enables the full RGB Sprectrum. Games like R3E looks much better with this enabled.
    Don't now, why nvidia (AMD too?) disable this in standard settings.

The newer monitors / TV just handle full RGB quite correct. So theres no sense in cutting this.

2. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I guess you mean the color range, which can achieve a true "black" when set to full instead of just greyscale to almost black.
    Yeah hate to change that setting back all the time too :)
    This default setting btw is done for Monitors which are connected by HDMI to the Video Card.
    The limited spectrum is used by most of the Flat TV's.
    If you connect your Monitor via DVI or Display Port, it is set to full by default

The trick to enable the Nvidia Freestyle settings is to install a older Driver version (390.65) where you was able to set a flag in the settings to enable it for all Games.
    You need the Driver and Nvidia Inspector, a more in depth settings tool for NVidia Cards.

If you run a newer Card, like RTX 20xx or you really install every singöe new driver update because it is a "must do the update" thing to you, then you cant use it.
    Only that specific Driver supported that setting, and NVidia removed it in the later Driver Versions.

By the way Dev's would it be possible to get in contact with NVidia and let them test Freestyle and Ansel for RaceRoom so they could actually put it on the supported list for these Driver features?

Here is a small tutorial Video how to do that Driver trick:

If anyone is interested in my Freestyle settings:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  4. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Selecting full is definately the way to go! It was just implemented as Default for HDMI --> TV connection
    Monitors should always set to full range :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
  6. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Ok but for VR headset?

7. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    The VR software regulates that
    Oculus and Vive even asked The Graphic Card Manufacturers to remove their Headsets in the "Monitors" tab so ppl cant alter the color / brightness / contrast settings.
    Fiddling around with them normally kills the immersion which is pretty damn close optimiezd on these settings in the software of the Manufacturers.

Same goes for most (if not all?) WMR headsets

However if you have a AMD graphic card there is a small trick that you could use to change the settings of some of the Headsets.

But you should not be worried @OlivierMDVY i'm pretty sure the Headset, which ever you have, is running on the correct setting :)

8. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Full and Limited RGB will show the same picture quality but you have to match your windows setting with your program (game) setting and your monitor setting.

The problem is when you have one or the other set to a different setting, and it will either become very dark (blacks crushed) or very gray (no contrast). When both are matched, the contrast is the same.

Limited is for movies, because directors want to control what is visible or not in a scene (bellow RGB 16-16-16 is unwanted "detail/noise" and so it becomes all black). Full is for digital artists and PC media, where black is RGB 0-0-0. I suppose games are made to the Full-RGB standard. But to make sure, if a game has a brightness adjustment where it shows two pictures in which one should not be visible, follow it. If by adjusting the slider you cant make the picture become invisible or visible, your settings are mismatched.

Please read this:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space

In my HTPC, I use Limited, Full, Limited. Windows will look overly dark, but because the program (kodi) can chose wich setting to use, the end result is a perfect image when using the program.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  9. fast_bear

fast_bear Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Really impressive ! The game looks so much better !

10. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I was reading this and thinking Reshade would work if I simply moved the "Reshade Shaders" folder to the X64 folder. After thinking about it, I finally understood how to get it working. I had to install Reshade to the RaceRoom executable in the X64 folder. LOL

Now to do something about the over abundance of bloom the default settings gives me.

11. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much on the latest drivers recently you can't adjust the RGB range via the nvidia's control panel as the settings don't appear so you have to use a 3rd party software which allows you to pick either Limited/Full..

12. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ^ of course you still can use control panel for rgb, i dunno where you've got that information

13. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    If the setting doesn't appear for you in your control panel, it means it's not relevant for your setup and you should be on full RGB range. It's only relevant with a HDMI to HDMI connection of your monitor, and even then only with some setups, I believe.

You can (somewhat - there can be more going on, including your monitor not being adjusted correctly, which is more common than you might think) test it using the following image (for example). If you see four squares, you're on full RGB. If you see two rectangles, you're on limited:

[​IMG]

BTW for those wondering what the setting does, it basically makes colors darker than RGB 15,15,15 and brighter than 235,235,235 appear completely black or white respectively. The reason for the limited mode as far as I know is that digital video formats were historically using the limited brightness range and if you were to play content created for this limited range on a full range system, you would effectively see more detail in the blacks and whites than you were supposed to, including artifacts and stuff like that. And under certain circumstances, the driver might consider an HDMI connected monitor to be a TV, hence setting its RGB range to limited by default for the reason above.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    And if you see nothing apart from a big black rectangle?

15. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Then I guess you might be both on the limited RGB *and* have your monitor and/or system considerably misadjusted. Or at least the latter. In any case, you definitely have some kind of issue with your monitor.

16. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Or the monitor is off. :D
    (I'll show myself out.....)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    can S3 look into getting the game supported by nvidia freestyle? im sure it would be a much better and performance friendlier option than using third party plugins

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Freestyle and Reshade are basically the same thing. And I mean that quite literally, Freestyle is basically Reshade fork with a different UI, made by the same person.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Was trying to get freestyle to work via GeForceExperience, but R3E isn't found as a supported game. How are you guys adding it to your list of games?

20. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    We're not. He was asking for the support to be added.