Request for OPTIONAL "Road Surface Effects"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    I agree! That track doesn't feel like it looks. Both ffb and tactile feedback feels lifeless.

But to be fair there are tracks that are "alive" as Red Bull. Driving a group c car around here is a shaky experience both thru ffb and simvibe, as i would believe it feels in real life.

2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I second this

3. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Can you suggest an increment for DD users to try? I currently have mine set to 55, and I don't feel much surface detail. I'm using an Accuforce V2. My concern with higher settings is that the Vertical forces will start to overpower the other scales, and I'll lose detail. Also, I've set FFB steer force balance mode to 4, in the .ini file. Compared to the default, that did seem to help a slight bit, but it still feels a bit sterile in regards to surface detail.

I'll try raising the scale tonight, though.

4. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    You could also try modify this value in your rcs file:

https://simracing.fandom.com/wiki/Force_Feedback_Tweaking_Guide_for_Simbin_Games

• Like Like x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    what that does is tighten the centre so in a small central band you get more feeling , but less at the extemes ; imo

Andi

7. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The latter is what I was afraid of. I don't have a problem with the feel at TDC. My issue is lack of surface detail, not just on the straights, but in general.

8. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    do you run the same power settings for all cars ? as maybe your running to high in nm to feel it
    remember a lot of cars dont do above 6nm
    have you added a large dose of minimum forces ?

Andi

9. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    out of interest can i see your rcs files

Andi

10. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I run my wheel at 100%, so I have to reduce in-car steering gains quite a bit to avoid clipping. I'm not running anything at in-car default gains. The feel is great other than the surface detail. And when I say a bit sterile, I only mean in comparison to other titles. But, at least for me, this has been the case with R3E for years, even before my Accuforce (T300 and CSW v2). I've just always assumed that's the way it was. It's one of my favorites. Surface detail is just something I've never been able to bring it well.

I'll share the file later tonight, when I'm home.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  12. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Gave this a shot last night. It didn't really bring out much small surface detail, only made the bumps and curbs more extreme and seemed to overpower the other forces. I was already at 55 with Vertical load, so that's probably why. But it got me thinking... I believe there might be a semantics thing going on. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, when I say "...lacks surface detail," I mean the subtle texture/feel of the track surface, not basic suspension related things like bumps, undulations, and curbs. I can feel those things fine. I just can't seem to find that "tire running against the road feeling" I feel in other sims. I believe that's why a good transducer can help lessen this issue, providing texture in the form of vibration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That feeling in real life IS a vibration. That's why you won't find it present as a steering force. Other sims add it in as a fake effect.

14. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    and also that effect is drowned out by your throttle and transmision effects ;

best bet turn your road surface sound effects up and find a way to blast that via a speaker to your car seat

Andi

15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    A few laps on Red bull ring made me think that SECTOR 3 can DO THIS!!!!......I've notice and felt sharp road effects between Turn 5 and Turn 6. In simple words it feels great and very much real. There are a few little bumps after Turn 6 and 7 but only one or two and the rest is all smooth and lifeless. Sector 3 should be able to add heaps of those little uneven surface effects and make it an absolute blast. Great driving experience would be even greater!!!

16. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    Some people like to add 10% damping or so, to simulate the friction from tyres touching the ground.

Maybe at some point in the future we could look into some sort of dynamic damping, aka gyroscopic effect.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks for your feedback. Great to hear positive response!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i had a look at a few of your dd wheel settings and i have noticed that your not letting the game deliver 100% ffb , maybe this has an effect , can you not let the game deliver 100% of its info and thenn scale your wheels down to read that info ?

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what you mean. The Force Feedback Intensity is set to 100%. What scale are you referring to not being at 100%, or do you mean the combination of Vertical and Lateral being less than 100?

20. Haiden

Haiden New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, but I don't think that's the issue. I don't use canned scales, like Road Texture in other sims.