OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I can’t even imagine with whatever nvidia come out with a year from now that having reflections on anything other than low are going to destroy FPS. I have them and shadows set to low and I’m on a over clocked 2080ti.

I definitely cannot do 40 other cars in view on any track and not get stuttering.

Assuming your not using steamVR?

2. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I'm using SteamVR.

So you mean trying with reflections and shadows on low and then look what goes with the others?

20 cars in view here, 40 on track.

3. Jan Crombach

Jan Crombach New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I have a problem with my Oculus Rift in Raceroom. The upper bar which displays positions and so on is cut at the left and right border, so i can't see the race time. Are there any suggestions to fix this problem?

4. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Maybe wrong screen resolution - this affects VR. 4:3 instead of 16:9

5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Hi All,
    Today I wanted to start R3E in VR again but when I launch the game (via Oculus home these days) The headset remains dark. when I look around I only see a black void. when I tilt my head up and backwards as if I want to look up at the sky and what is behind my head I see a light blue square what looks like the viewing window of the rift but isn't. If I turn my body/head around, the blue square moves accordingly and will not stay put like you would expect with a VR set. really strange.
    I have a recenter VR keyboard shortcut but that does not work. It remains dark. I also have a show monitor shortcut to see the menus on my monitor instead of only in the VR set. When I press it I see the menu on my monitor.
    I do hear the sound of the game via the Rift but not a copy of my screen. Anybody an idea what to do. There must be something changed somehow. Is there a way to delete all settings and start with fresh settings as if the game just was installed?

The rift does work with Pcars and other games. It is only a problem with R3E. two days ago it still worked.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    You can't launch via Oculus Home as far as I know. You should to use Steam VR.

7. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    No that is not the case. There was an update not that long ago from Oculus and now you have to fire up the game via Oculus home. No difference with Pcars for example. If I start it directly in steam it won’t work anymore. Beside that, it worked this way because two days ago I started R3E also via Oculus home without any problems..

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Scout

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Are you using the correct startup options in steam? eg

upload_2019-3-30_22-30-7.png

9. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yes.. only I use 1.9 but that is a minor detail. Will try it again tomorrow but as said, since the Oculus home update, a while ago, I have to start from there and not in steam.

10. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well after several hours of trying to find what the heck is wrong with R3E and VR I found the problem.
    It was steam VR which causes the problems. Pcars can also use Oculus VR, R3E uses only SteamVR.
    That is why I could use VR with Pcars but not with R3E.
    I installed Steam VR again and all is back to normal now. The only thing that bothers me is that I have to start the Oculus home software otherwise I do see nothing in my Rift.
    Anyway, all things back to normall.:D

11. Scout

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    SteamVR relies on Oculus Home, its just an interface, so will require Oculus Home to be running.

12. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I know. But there was A time it was not needed to fire-up Oculus home separately. It loaded the needed things under the hood.. no big deal of course. most important thing is that R3E works in VR again.

13. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, long ago you don't have to start Oculus Home. But the Oculus engineers decided that you have to start Oculus Home before.

So:
    1. Start Oculus Home
    2. Start SteamVR (this stops the Oculus Home mostly, so this have no big impact)
    3. Start R3E

Then you're done.

14. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    i wonder if raceroom will work with asw 2.0 or if it's possible to update the game to support it

15. Ernesto Romero

Ernesto Romero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys. New on RR. Where I have to put the supersampling? Settings of steam VR or in Launch parameters?

16. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    exe-parameter, example:
    -vr 1.5

17. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    While I am at it, can it be done to get the VR without Steam VR in RR, like they recently did for ACC? Steam VR is quite a ressource hog, one lives better without it. Its bad enough to have the Oculus app running in the background all the time, needlessly. I wish it would not be so, I don'T need it at all if not needing the guardian system (virtual cage showing the limits of the playable space). In driving sims and seated games, you do not need that guardian.

18. KOKORO ga PYONPYON

KOKORO ga PYONPYON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    I recently upgraded the CPU to corei 5 9400F (which is cost-effective).
    This was very effective.
    R3E's VR is too CPU dependent.
    The GPU is as if you were sleeping.
    This is a bad joke.
    1.jpg

Other VR titles have the same CPU / GPU dependency or some GPU dependency.
    If you want a comfortable R3EVR, the GPU should be around GTX1070.
    The CPU should choose the latest high-end model.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I get good, comfortable performance on my 1060 with no stuttering or motion sickness. :cool: (Still with SVR unfortunately...)

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    the steam VR performance graph isn't accurate for R3E due to the way the game renders the frame. The pipeline spends very little time in Dx10 or Dx11 (which is what steamVR assumes is "GPU work"). Most of the work is in Dx9, and steamVR doesn't see this so assumes it's "CPU work".

GPU performance *is* important

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1