VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    • OpenComposite (see above)
    • Oculus Supersampling: 1.6
    • Oculus ASW: Auto
    • Resolution: 1920x1080
    • Toggle Mirrors: On
    • Track Level of Detail: High
    • Tiremarks: On
    • Specular: On
    • Shadows: Medium
    • Car Shadows: On
    • Contact Shadows: 20
    • Shadow Split: On
    • Multi-Sampling: 2xAA
    • Track Texture Quality: High
    • Car Texture Quality: High
    • Shader Quality: High
    • Visible Cars: 20
    Getting a solid 90 fps on above settings.
    32 cars various tracks.
    i7 7700k 3.5ghz
    titan x pascal.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I even play without ASW because it always seems to overreact to every single framedrop and do more harm than good for me...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I asked because in order to measure perf impact of settings, it is better to disable ASW and remove 45FPS lock. That way you can see exact FPS impact of each setting, but it seems you got it covered :)

4. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I turn off ASW and use the app render timing overlay to determine the performance :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this, @Thomas Jansen. Not sure if related, but would ASW 2.0 work fine? It's shown improvements in others (ex. ACC) and might be nice to have if we can improve graphics content.

6. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    By the sounds of it ASW 2.0 would fix a lot of the issues in driving sims, as we mostly rotate, which ASW 1.0 can’t handle. But this would require the game to send depth information to oculus so I highly doubt it’s possible for raceroom..

• Like Like x 1
  7. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about that actually, if you press the home button it show the game in the background & that is supposed to be a indication of it giving depth data. Regardless ASW 2.0 doesn't look any different to me than the original version on the games i have tried, I still see all the artifacts & ghosting.

8. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    The depth data they need would be of the different objects in the game i would assume, as that is what they need to know to be able to extrapolate rotational and forward/backwards movement

9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Well, I tried this again now that all the instructions are in one place, but it still won't work for me. :(

It's really weird. Once in the game my monitor clearly shows what I should be seeing in my headset, tracking my headset's movements etc perfectly. Yet in the headset itself all I get is a plain black screen. Oculus is all set up and working fine, and I can open the Oculus menu without issue. But R3E is just blackness, despite the picture being shown successfully on my monitor. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. :confused:

10. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Multiple people had this when they didn’t have the .ini file set up correctly, so triplecheck that it’s in the x64 folder and as I listed

11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So now I've could test your settings and I'm happy on one side and unhappy on the other.My System has 5 Ghz and a 2080 and I've exactly the framerate like you...

Buit, okay, so I have shadows now and yes, this looks better with shadows. It's more immersive and that is, what I wanted to have.
    One last question: You wrote: SS on Oculus 1.3, I have it in the ini and nothing changed on oculus.
    So I've 1,5 x 1,3 SS is that right? Or 1,0 x 1,3?
    You have with your setting 1,3 x 1,0?
    Or how does it work?

12. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    I'm not so sure how the SS in the opencomposite settings works, @The Iron Wolf might know more, I believe it is supposed to feed that value through to Oculus and set it there, so maybe your own Oculus setting is overwriting it or something. Because I don't know I just have the opencomposite setting at 1.0 and set my oculus setting in the batch file i use to launch raceroom

• Like Like x 1
  13. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip, but my ini file is literally a copy and paste of what you posted. For whatever reason, OVR just doesn't want to work on my headset.

14. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Works here without problems although I do not see any difference with this solution compared with the “normal” VR setup. :(

15. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    PPD is passed directly to oculus API via ovr_GetFovTextureSize. I never used oculus debug tool to set PPD, there was no need. I'd guess however value passed works exactly as debug tool.

16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Where do you check when you say '...nothing changed in Oculus"? Tried briefly OTT Hud for Pixel Density and it showed the SS I set in the .ini file.

I understand opencomposite uses the absolute value (like Oculus). Its SVR that computes it exponentially. So with SS=1.5, Oculus uses 1.5, while SVR would use the equivalent of 1.5 x 1.5 (2.25).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  17. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    This would be Strange.
    In SteamVR I had a setting of 190 Percent and in the INI I have 1.5 with same settings and same CPU and GPU Power. (After Thomas Tweaking Tipps, I have only 1.3 to have some Shadows - a bit less performance than before)
    So this means, SteamVR was a lot better?

What I would like to know is: Which setting affect GPU and which the CPU. Thougt that SS in any way use only GPU, but seems to destroy my CPU, too. And the in Game Options... I don't really know.

18. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Shadows hammer the CPU, which is why they are so hard to run in raceroom. I also found the SS in the config file to be less efficient somehow, which is why I just set it in oculus directly

19. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    You use the Debug tool or do you use tray tool for that?
    Sorry for asking so much questions in this moment, but I fiddle the last month with those parameters and I'm ultrahappy to have this thread now.

20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    That is rhe drawback of VR.. All the fiddling. You never will be satisfied with the result. Other than that VR is the way to go for..