Released Volkswagen ID.R Time Attack Challenge

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Apr 24, 2019.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

We at Sector3 Studios were very proud when Volkswagen Motorsport entrusted us with carrying a project that consisted in several firsts for us: It is the first appearance of a fully electric race car in the RaceRoom simulator, and our team has worked miracles to deliver physics and sound engines modifications to support this. It is also the first time that we have worked on creating a virtual rendition of a car that didn't exist yet. We have worked hand in hand with the Volkswagen team, looking at the data and telemetry from the Pikes Peak ID.R, and extrapolating the new handling characteristics that this brand new long tail / low drag version of the ID.R would bring.

Once the real car has been on the Nordschleife, we will receive actual telemetry and will be able to fine-tune the simulation of all its characteristics.

Sadly for us, the DRS unit was added to the real car in the last weeks and couldn't possibly be added in-game in time for the start of this competition. We will however bring it in a later RaceRoom update.

You can now judge the result of all this work in the Time Attack challenge that is now available in RaceRoom : http://game.raceroom.com/competitions/900/leaderboard

You will find Romain Dumas in the leaderboard, as he could record some laptimes in the brand new RaceRoom 3Motion rig from the Nürburgring Boulevard ( https://twitter.com/volkswagenms/status/1121119651134607360 )

Dumas is also an avid simracer and you'll probably need to work hard to beat him on that leaderboard! He's waiting for the challenge.

[​IMG]

Also, make sure to check out Jimmy Broadbent's review of the VW ID.R in RaceRoom:

• Like x 19
    • Love it! x 7
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Wonderful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Some things to know as it might be weird at first :
    • This is probably not relevant as the car is currently only available in competition mode, with rolling starts, but the startup of the car is something very particular. It is a 20 seconds (-ish) sequence of fans spooling up and battery turning on. You can try turning it off and on again to hear it, put the volume up to hear the true startup sequence of the ID.R.
    • The gearbox has 4 modes: R, N, D, S.
      • D = normal drive
      • S = drive with energy regeneration (under braking) (not so relevant in competition mode for now)
      • The car is artificially limited to 250kph as it's not efficient for the battery to attempt to fight the drag at higher speeds than that
    • The current simulation and physics are based on theoretical data as it's only been existing on computers until today. In the last days they decided to also throw in a DRS system that we didn't have time to implement. This means that after they actually have their real life record attempt done, we'll get the actual data and update the car accordingly. It will be interesting to see how far we end up.

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 8
    • Winner x 3
    • Love it! x 3
    • Dislike x 1
  3. Aspius

Aspius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I think this is great. While not everyone likes electric cars. More and more of them are appearing in motorsport. This is also a badge of honor with being entrusted to create it.

I look forward to driving it. Sadly, I'm not very good on the Nordschleife but will still be fun.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Great sound @Anthony Monteil ;)

Very nice car to drive, a bit weird with no engine sound and gearbox to mess with.
    Took me some time to stop downshifting under braking :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Congrats this is an awesome little challenge. Great fun to drive. Can not wait to see how you did after you've received the real lap data ;O) RRE keeps me coming back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Cool car, will we get to keep it or purchase it at some point ?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Chances are it will become available for purchase after the competition is finished.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mauricio

Mauricio Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    No sound of tires?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    After 3 laps, a clean one and my best Nordschleife time...that was fun. I find the silence relaxing...........thanks!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. KOKORO ga PYONPYON

KOKORO ga PYONPYON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    It's amazing! I am delighted with the appearance of the EV racing car.

I am affirmative for electric cars.
    In the near future, there will be more and more EV racing cars!
    This attempt is very wonderful.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    That "thing" is not a "racing car" it can do 1 lap on the Nordschleife. ONE lap! or 20,83 km. Thats not even 3 laps in Spa or not even 4 laps in Monza. Thats not racing, that's show. This thing is only a useless showcar. They should have done this with the Cupra eRacer or a similar Golf "eGTI" for the planned eTCR. But hey who cares about eTCR and possible electric racing, if you can have 5 minutes of Instagram-Fame from people who not even care for real (e)motorsport.

Pray that Dumas will not put this thing into one of the crash barriers on the Nordschleife and get hurt or worse, because in that case the chances are not small, the lights on the Nordschleife will be blown out forever.

The question is, what should we race with this car? Even with the activated recuperation system it would not last more then a few laps on a normal racing circuit. Even the fronttires of the WTCC cars will last longer then the batteries of this car.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, many record breaking cars are purpose-built prototypes. From my pov they are more about exploring the limits of what's technically possible, spearheading developments that will later on find their way into customer products.
    That's the beauty of simracing tho, we can make it into a proper racing car by modifying a few bits so it will be able to do a "regular" race.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Of course, but than there are people will say its only a fantasy car, because it doesn't match the "realcar" (f.e. the idea to turn the Carlsson C25GT into a GTR4, mentioned in the past).

14. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    its basically a hillclimb/point to point car

people say they raced at pikes peak etc , racing against the clock

so i dont see the issue of having it in the game

many leagues dont run any fuel use etc , so this car can then do as many laps as you want without modifying it in any way ,within the bounds of what exists in the game already

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Will be interesting to see how far they can go in the eTCR. 6 lap sprints like RallyCross?

16. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I like the Idea. To see what is possible in this times. And this is, what Raceroom can show us now.
    I think, noone would say now "Let's make an online League with this electric Volkswagen" But I think it is a cool idea to drive something you cannot drive elsewere. And we don't speak about "2 or 4 Wheel drive" or "1.000hp or 1.200 hp", we talk about something totally special.
    I really dislike the whole Volkswagen thing, because... ah I don't want to go too politically here... So no comment about this.
    But the idea behind this raceroom deal is really cool. I really appreciate this!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    awesome top times! Using default setup and only removing the traction control I'm at 6:4.661...still a huge 5.2 off pole!!!

18. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    loving the sound from the pits of an old outdated oil burner as you start the lap ;)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. javi_crash

javi_crash Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    - Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo 2018: 5:19 m.
    - Porsche 956 C 1983: 6:11 m.
    - NIO EP9 2017 (electric car): 6:45 m.
    - Volkswagen ID. R 2019 (virtual lap): 5:59 m.

This car can get the second best lap at Nordschleife and the absolute record of electric cars. Amazing!

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019