Released Volkswagen ID.R Time Attack Challenge

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    It also seems as if you are using a rather low FFB strength.

2. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately yes. My base decenteres itself when I use too much FFB...
    But that gives you no advantage at all if it's what you were asking for rather the opposite.

3. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hiya, I hope this isn't teaching you to suck eggs etc, from my pov I try to decelerate and/or brake with this setup until accelerating out the corner is not going to push wide, plus take lines into/through corners to allow me to accelerate out of corners as early as possible. Watching Moritz lap I see a lot of patience into and round most corners, and where there is a string of tight corners even more patience, such as 1st sector through Hocheichen corners (22 secs to 40 secs in Moritz video) also, the front wheels pull the understeer out on acceleration if not carrying to much speed into a corner which means you can accelerate earlier than you might think/feel. Hope this helps ;O)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    @Magictap No worries. I realize I would probably be able to learn to use that setup to be faster, but I wouldn't enjoy it much, and the time I managed with my own setup is already much better than I expected, so I'm fine with that. I just posted that comment seeing how everyone praises that setup everywhere I go, and I just didn't like it at all. But I didn't mean to suggest the setup is bad, I'm sure it's just my inability to use it properly. I mean many people who like it would run circles around me (and some of them did ;) ).

Though I admit the "I don't even understand how" part was not worded in the best way possible - obviously I do understand how, they just drive differently than me (probably for their best :p).

• Like Like x 1
  5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    It's the difference between relaxed and grippy for Austins & agile and twitchy for Moritz's, have to say I was faster originally with the first but put my best time in with the latter. The old grey matter is a marvelous instrument, can adapt to any setup but the point is to get your fastest time, so; as usual it's subjective. I actually don't mind either adaptations of Austin's original setup, prefer it a lot over Georg's, which I wasn't keen on at all, think I've ended up with something in between though. As our @Alex Hodgkinson mentioned before the differences from one extreme to the other are minimal and the car is so well balanced to begin with that it's just a case of fine tuning to one's preference. Great fun whatever!

6. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    This is what i've been using, a bit of a mix of my own initial setup and the other setups that have been around, enjoy :D
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Ummm, i....cracked to top 100 !!!!!!!!!!! Your set up gave me near 4 seconds ! How ? Maybe you should remove it before some really fast people get it and your time is beat with your own set up :p
    Thanks heaps for sharing ;) Love you :kissingheart:

8. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    5:53 is easily possible with the setup, I just enjoy driving the car, don't care much about the competition results :p

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    close enough I guess :D [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Works great for me. Just spent an hour and a half to get a somewhat decent lap in. More time in it but not sure ill try again in the near future. Just too frustrating :D

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I heard they just made a rule that stops anyone below 6 minutes driving for a month :p

12. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    gutted, my laptop died last night.....would have loved to try this setup. Thanks very much for sharing anyhow fella ;O)

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I did try, but car is too fast, corners come in faster than my poor brain can process information :eek:

Interesting to drive, as long as you keep on throttle it can corner insane speeds, but braking while turning in is a lot slower way to go around corners.

Over 33 seconds slower than fastest is kinda depressing, especially when there is well over 2800 drivers ahead of you, but on other hand it is great to see so many drivers enjoying electric car!

Electric cars seem to be coming again, really great to see that, I probably never can drive any electric car IRL, but at least several simulators are jumping in and providing close to real life experiences :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Your setup is awesome, I got to to 297 and 17th in the Uk beating the driver promoting the competition.
    Thanks for sharing I’ll be at it this evening too for more gains

15. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    So next challenge will be Pikes Peak then?

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Its great to have electric cars too. I don't know if I am going to like it cuz I very much enjoy shifting gears and engine noise. Will see what happens, I hope I am wrong.

17. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I am amazed at the the level of enthusiasm for this competition. I enjoy the car, (although I am slow) and obviously lots of others do too. Well done S3. I am tempted to buy the Formula e from VRC now. How about one for RRE?

18. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Hey Thomas, what VR headset are you using? The resolution of most of the headset is still not very convincing and for racing a high refresh rate is important as well. thanks

19. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I use the Oculus CV1, resolution isn’t great but it’s more than enough to be able to race properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Michaelx99

Michaelx99 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I drove all the 3-4 setups that are out.First I pushed as hard as I could with the default got I think a 6.05 .Then I changed to the more slidy and fun set up and instantly got to a 6.01.Then I changed to Austin's setup and got a 5.59.2 but I had a 5.58.7 lined up and bottled it in the last turn.When I switched to this setup I think its a huge step up in terms of grip and driveability.From what I found out driving it it needs very precise inputs at high speed and you can't corect it.But when you get it right you feel like "a driving god".I know this setup with this car is capable of a 5.53 but now as a driver I don't think that I'm capable yet.Right now I got to a 5.56.6 and I'm really happy with that lap.

• Like Like x 1