Telemetry SecondMonitor (Timing & status App)

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Winzarten, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    This would indicate "sideslip", the difference between where the car is pointing, and where car is going right? Which would indicate under/oversteer? I was thinking about reproducing the formula used in motec, but this looks like a better and cleaner approach for sims.

I think it could be calculated, r3shared data have car oriention, so I know where the car is pointing (pitch, yaw, roll).. and I can compute where the car is going by comparing world coordinates from two consecutive data point. As they are measured +- each 15ms, that should be precise enough. I just neet to refresh my vector math :D

2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, yes. It has it's real world uses as you can work to match cornering forces with known peal force/slip angles.

Additionally it could be used to calculate individual tyre slip angles, which is very useful as a developer, and for tuning toe and ackerman settings with a real car.

I didn't know car orientation went into shared data, that makes it comparatively easy!

3. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Cool, I will try it, most likely later this week, most likely also accompanied with a new histogram for that value.
    Also if you have ideas for scatter plots with yaw to another quantity, I can do that easily. ;)

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  4. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I think it would be useful to plot against a lot of things. Yaw vs speed, yaw vs tyre wear are a couple that come to mind.

Now, I find it would be really useful to be able to save and reload sessions. I'd like to be able to compare laps between different cars in developer mode, but I have to close and reload the game in order to change cars.

5. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    You can archive telemetry sessions and then add laps from different sessions to the current session, can’t say i’ve tried that with different cars though.

6. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    The add session button filters for session done with the same simulator, on the same track, no car checks, so it should work.
    But there is also a add lap button, the plus below the lap selection, and that doesn't have any checks at all. So you can combine whatever laps you like. Of course, the map view will show nonsense, if it they are from different track and/or sim :D

By this way you can even compare laps from different simulators, made on the same track, as the lap distance should correlate between sims. So the charts should be correct.

The telemetry files are saved in MyDocuments\SecondMonitor\Telemetries, from there it should be obvious from the directory and file names what is what. (hint, 1.lap, is the first lap :D )

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  7. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Just a small heads up, you might experience problems accessing the application github page (homepage, wiki, download). That's because my account got flagged, so everything is hidden. I've sent a mail to github, so hopefully it will get resolved soon.

My guess would be that some automated bot didn't like me talking about "races".... you gotta love automated moderation that doesn't know, or care, about context :D

8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Page not found.

9. simnutter

simnutter New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi
    I am having some issues getting second monitor to connect to RF2.
    Shared memory plugin is installed - I am running crewchief and simhub without issues.
    Second monitor showing as not connected.
    Thanks

10. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I will check when I get home if there is any obvious problem, as I haven't player rfactor2 for some time. Maybe something changed.
    Could you please also provide me with the log file (a open log directory button is in the settings)?

11. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Well, it works on my end :-/ Hopefully something will be visible in the logs. Are you using it on the same computer, or connecting from another?

To another topic, after ongoing issues with github (my account was flagged once again, after it was available for half a day), I've moved the project to gitlab (https://gitlab.com/winzarten/SecondMonitor). It shouldn't affect anyone in any way (if I will not mess something :) )

I've also prepared a testing build for the rating module - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjZ7Py7hwgdrgdMUJSdD-RttnSJmjw
    In the testing build the rating works only in r3e, as I would like to finetune the numbers first on one sim, and then apply it as a base to the rest. For me, it works quite well, and really balances around the AI difficulty I found comfortable racing againts.
    Tutorial can be found here : https://gitlab.com/winzarten/SecondMonitor/wikis/Rating-Tutorial

12. simnutter

simnutter New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

13. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Damn, it should work with what comes with crewchief, as that is what I'm using aswell.
    Few things you can try:
    - Delete the Documents\SecondMonitor\ and \AppData\Roaming\SecondMonitor\ folders. The second folder is the one that gets opened by the button in settings.
    - Try to start the application as administrator. (this is me really catching the straws).

14. simnutter

simnutter New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK - started as administrator and is working perfect.
    Thanks!

15. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    On one hand, I'm glad it works. :D On the other I'm confused, because the application isn't doing anything that should require administror access. :-/

16. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    New version is out, with few changes to the telemetry viewer:
    • Added Yaw Chart: Yaw is difference between the car orientation, and where the car is travelling. This value is computed by the telemetry viewer, currently only works in R3E. Not filled in older telemetry files
    • Suspension Velocity Histogram improved - The histogram has default range of -200 to 200mm/s. Points outside this range will not be taken into calculation. This range in changeable in the chart.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Today I seem to have a problem whereby whatever I do, only the first flying lap is logged.
    Any suggestions?

18. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    That is weird, could you please upload the log.txt (log directory button is in the settings).
    Is no other lap get logged, or it gets logged and overwrites the old file?

19. Grimmi

Grimmi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Same to me when you do practice without AI. With AI it works ok, everything is logged.

20. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Is it both practice in single event? Or one is the direct "Practice" available in the main menu?
    The problem might be ghost car, as the ghost has the same name as the player, the application gets confused, as there is no other way to distinquish between different drivers, than by name.
    AFAIK R3E doesn't have any flag that would suggest which one is player, and which one is the ghost.