News May 2019 - Developer notes

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, May 14, 2019.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    This is a follow-up to the March 2019 thread.

Yes, I did miss the opportunity of writing one in April... Last month is a big blur for me while we were dedicated to the Volkswagen ID.R project and putting in long hours. I was mostly just focused on that while the team kept cracking on with more good stuff.

So let's catch up together with what they've been doing. But first let's recap the status of all the items discussed in the March 2019 thread:

Progress update on the March thread:
    1. Adjustable Tyre Pressure - Shipped! How are you all liking this? We'll be adding this as planned to all new cars and reviewed cars in future updates.
    2. Flat spots, suspension damage and damage settings - Still being fine tuned in betatesting, and the damage settings revision is probably going to be the most time consuming to make as it involves UI's, backend, and some refactoring of the game code.
    3. New dedi features - Shipped! So, how many griefers have you banned?
    4. Shared Mem updates - Shipped! Check out the 3rd party apps section for all kinds of awesome.
    5. In-game web overlays - Shipped!
    6. Oschersleben new layouts - Shipped!
    7. Fanatec SDK update - We had some last minute modifications to allow toggling LED's and Displays in various ways. Support for the DD2 is already added, so we're looking good to include this in the next game update.

What we're working on at the moment:

1. Cars : Esports, esports, esports! We are currently busy on the 2019 season of the FIA WTCR.
      I can't show you much as things still need to go through approvals and all, so here's a blurry car. Which car can it possibly be?

20190514172741_1.jpg
      We're doing our best to complete this 2019 set and have them available towards end of June, so expect the esports WTCR 2019 to start soon after that.

Then, probably later due to BOP requirements and WTCR taking priority, we'll be bringing you a BMW M1 Group 4, to fight alongside the Porsche 934 RSR.
      BMW_M1_Procar_111b.png

Of course, let's not forget the Volkswagen ID.R ! Our initial version of the car will receive several adjustments in physics. The real car has now been on two practice sessions around the Nordschleife and the telemetry and comments from Romain Dumas will allow us to bring the car closer to its real performance. We have several visual updates to the car that are ready to ship, such as adding the DRS box.

Once the ID.R physics are completed and published, a second round of the Volkswagen ID. R Challenge will open with the updated car, and it will likely be finally available in the store around that time.

2. More Cars : Sadly can't say much else than "more cars are being licensed for a release in 2019" at this point. Until papers are all in order, it's all a bit hush-hush.

3. Soon™ cars : The next update should see the release of the Formula RaceRoom X-90. Designed to bring you back to the visuals and sounds of the early 90's formula series, this car will come in three engine flavors : V8, V10 and V12. Do I need to tell you they all sound awesome? After endlessly lapping the Nordschleife in the relative silence of the highly technological VW ID.R, this one will turn your ears back on.
      Raceroom_blur.png I heard you like blurry cars.

Edit 24th May - After the publication of the sound preview video, I can show you the non blurry one:
      Raceroom_fr90_11.png

4. Tracks : 4 active projects at the moment, and not enough time. Sorry but still can't disclose anything until we get closer to release.

5. Force Feedback updates : Working on two separate areas of FFB improvements.
      1. One started as a bug fix and quickly turned into a feature as we realized the static friction (the fact that turning the steering wheel should be more difficult when your car is standing still) wasn't working at all. As a result we not only now have a working friction, but also a proper fully simulated power steering. Turning off your engine and power is even taken into account. Rumor has it that Anthony is even going to add a sound sample for turning wheels.
      2. The other is about introducing pneumatic trail effects. ( wiki and some other source that requires aspirin) This will give some very welcome information about the amount of grip available on the front wheels.
    6. Moving / resizing HUD elements : Since the release of the in-game overlays feature and its ability to handle moving widgets around the screen, many asked why this wasn't possible for the regular HUD. This will now be possible. (except for the top position bar, which occupies the full width of the screen and could only be moved down in a very impractical fashion to whoever wanted to see what's happening outside of the car) You will finally be able to move and resize that big virtual rearview mirror!

7. Small feature for LED / wheelbase displays: Some 3rd party tools offer the ability to push custom information to the steering wheel displays such as Fanatec's rev LED's. It was unfortunately cumbersome for the users of those apps to prevent RaceRoom from sending data to those rev LED's and diplays. We will offer new controls that will allow those users to cycle through different modes for rev LED's and displays, allowing to just turn them off completely.

8. Moaaaar dedi features : We're currently testing a live penalty system allowing the league admins to hand out penalties during a race: Slowdown, drive-through, stop-n-go or just plain Disqualification. We're also working on the ability to read and send chat messages directly from the dedicated server manager UI.

9. Discord : Thought I'd just mention it here: You NEED to join the RaceRoom Discord channel. Link here --> https://discord.gg/Zz9Zymz

We've just restructured it a bit to bring it more in line with the current standards.
      unknown.png

10. Feels like I should reach 10 to look as busy as in March.

• Love it! x 29
    • Like x 23
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    When you think the sound can't get any better, then the M1 GR.4 arrives... :screamcat:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Now I know who left this comment on the betatest checklist :D
    unknown (1).png

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    oh yeah ! excited for this :D
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    :)In the words of an Aussie......Beauty mate.

6. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Great things are coming :D cant wait for the X-90 :cool::D:cool:
    Happy to hear about FFB upgrades. I think i always had static friction in my DFGT but weirdly not in my T300

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    @J-F Chardon

So I see Romain Dumas doing his round with an OSW !! furthermore news for the support of this or for Simucube2 ;)

8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Nice read.. looking forward to what to come..

9. Trickle

Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    After J-F admitted during Bodensee eSport streams that he simply had no time left over to write this post and promised it will come in the following days, I was waiting patiently - and was not disappointed.

Very interesting read, nice insights, cool teasers and a clear vision of what Sector 3 is working on.

Thumbs up for all of it and all of you at that opportunity - funnily enough I am most excited for the unannounced things like new tracks and (GT3/4, STW,ITC ?) cars.

But until then it seems we get some now things to toy around with.

Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    BMW M1 Group 4, cant wait for this one with an amazing sound! HURRY UP!!!!!:D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Hello

thanks for all this
    big updates coming soon

about simucube:
    1)do you work on the automatic rotation of our osw ?
    2) do you work with granitedevices on improving the ffb? the feel of the track for example ?

12. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Not yet. In the coming weeks we will however receive a 3motion simulator here in Sweden. Those come with granite steering wheels and once we have one we will look into it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  13. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I recognize, It´s a Lynk&Co 03!

14. axxis278

axxis278 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Any plan for adding Simucube SDK ? I think Fanatec won't be alone on the market

Oops, Hervé already asked

15. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Is the DD1 already supported (as you mentioned the DD2)

17. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    And he hasn't replied... DTM 2019 cancelled!

There are no solid plans for doing the 2019 season at the moment. It's quite a transitional period for the DTM as you no doubt have noticed.

I was just asking about that orange sticker out of sheer curiosity.

I believe the DD1 should be very close to the DD2 in terms of operations? I'm hoping that adding support for the DD2 that we received here will mean it will work for the DD1 as well.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I saw some people complaining here, that there is no automatic wheel degree in R3E, so I was asking.

19. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Might have to wait until we update the game with latest Fanatec SDK.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Trickle

Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Just came to my mind, but does this by any chance include a live-replay-function to review the incident more closely by the stewards on the fly, if they even saw it first hand and did not just see the car damage on the streaming hud or something.

• Like Like x 1