VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    You seem to have copy paste a caracter at the end of the exit in your file it works just fine for me and I don't have the strange thing you have on your screenshot:
    Mine right now:
    upload_2019-5-20_0-4-56.png

Yours:
    upload_2019-5-20_0-7-32.png

That said it seems they removed the server:disableUsbPowerMgmt feature now, so you can get rid of it. Wasn't that important anyway.

Try directly with my PPDO.txt file maybe.
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?attachments/ppdo-txt.17152/

2. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Man I feel bad for you there is nothing worse than random behavior on your rig...
    Strange you have issues with SVR and OpenComposite...
    Maybe try to make an image of your system to be able to roll back, and try a fresh Windows install... If it doesn't improve, just restore the image of your system disk, if it works... well, follow the rebuild...
    Or do it on a second hard drive I don't know...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Will test your file.
    I do not see any strange characters in my file. I only copied the text, not any spaces or likewise. Strange. Perhaps I could try to type it instead of copy and paste. But first I’ll try your file.
    Thanks..

4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I actually did a complete format/reinstall just a few weeks ago. It wasn't to try and fix this problem, I do it every few months as house keeping. I was hopeful that it would get OC working though, but it didn't unfortunately. Really weird issue that even has me doubting my own ability to read clear instructions now, but after numerous attempts I know I'm following them to the letter. Argh!! :confounded:

5. RLM Simon

RLM Simon Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Works great with the Oculus Rift S.

Running these settings below.

System Specs
    • 9900K @ 5GHz
    • 16GB 3200MHz CL14 DDR4
    • GTX 1080 Ti Boosting to 2GHz

Oculus Tray Tools
    • Super Sampling: 1.5
    • ASW: OFF
    In Game Settings
    • 1920x1080

[​IMG]

Through The Lense Shot

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. gantel

gantel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I have to disagree with this 100%. My System:
    i7 8800k at 4.5
    32 gig 3200 ddr4 ram
    gtx 1080ti not overclocked

OTT SS 1.5
    ASW Tried all settings, makes no difference in performance cited below.

With the original Oculus Rift I always got a solid 90 FPS, even with 20+ cars and graphics turned up to medium/high. I can't recall ever seeing the performance stumble with the RC1.

With my new Rift S I can't get over 40 FPS. I tried several combinations of car and tracks--no changes. It NEVER goes above 40. On top of that the images in the mirrors are a stuttering mess and will probably need to be turned off. There is also occasional stuttering on the track.

I am considering returning the Rift S and getting an Odyssey+ because the Rift S appears to be greatly dumbed down from the RC1.

7. RLM Simon

RLM Simon Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    There's probably more factors to getting the maximum perform from your PC. As I have zero issues with the above settings. Getting a solid 80fps with 20 cars in view.

Also, all GTX 1080 TI self overclock depending if the thermal conditions are met, (Mine boosts to 2GHz, and stays there due to good air flow from my case and fans setup.)

Usually, from experience from fixing lots of PC issues, is 90% of the systems need a good clean up, and unessasary background programs running, stopped.
    As well as not updating to the latest drivers.

From owning the CV1, Odyessy + and now the Rift S, the Rift S is far superior in every way except the speakers.

Odyssey + has light leakage around the sides, that reflect off the lenses. The anti SDE makes the image blurry, and with such a small sweet spot, you always need to adjust it.
    God rays are awful, and lots of glow effects.
    On top of that, the Headset is very uncomfortable,

Compare this to the Rift S.
    The RGB Stripe LCD with the extra Sub pixels, small bump in resolution, makes the Clarity far superior to the Odyssey +
    There is no god rays, glows etc, none!
    Massive sweetspot, so when moving your eyes across the screen the image is more in focused and clearer than any other headset I've used.
    You can wear the Rift S for long periods without discomfort.

Finally, Oculus made the Rift S to keep the same minimum specs as the CV1, so with the small bump in resolution and slightly lower refresh rate, the Rift S is no more demanding than the CV1.
    The difference between 80Hz and 90Hz cannot be seen.

So if you can get 90Hz on the CV1, then you should be getting 80Hz on the Rift S.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gantel

gantel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your response and the info about the Odyssey+. I'm not a PC novice and I'm really stumped on why my performance with RRE and my Rift S is pretty much locked at 40 FPS. It's probably something simple that I've overlooked but it's driving me crazy! Even putting myself alone on the track in practice mode results in no increase in my FPS. Strange.

UPDATE: My 'problem' is the SS. When I dropped the SS from 1.5 to 1.0 in OTT my FPS jumped to a solid 80. Frankly, I didn't think that SS of 1.5 would cause that big of a hit but I guess you live and learn. :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    What are your Settings? Especially Shadows and Refelctions?

10. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Do you know more of these commands in the text files?
    Searching for more power here always. Do you know if there are some more tweaks? USB PowerManagment seems to not work, gives an error here?

Do you know a command for starting Visual Performance HUD for our beloved text file?

11. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the USB power management was deprecated it is no longer documented in the tool and throws errors.
    For the performance HUD try this

perfhud set-mode 1

Where 1,2,3,4,5 is the performance indicator you want

upload_2019-6-12_23-11-18.png

perfhud reset

=> removes the perf HUD

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    What OS are you using? I do not think OC for R3E (DX10 mode) will work on Win7.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Oh crap, are you serious? Win7 is what I'm using. So that's been the problem all along? :confused:

14. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Yes, sorry about that. I mentioned that in one of the posts but that got lost in all the other posts.
    OC uses the fact, that on Win8/Win10, DX10 is DX11 internally. R3E submits DX10 texture, and I converted it to DX11 before sending to Oculus, which does not support DX10. So, unfortunately, no OC+Win7. At least now you know you've been following instructions correctly (good thing you posted the OC log, that's how I understood the issue).

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  15. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic! Thank you.
    At first I will do a batch for this.
    At second I will try to assign a button on my wheel for de/activating this on the fly.
    Searching for a solution to do this.

16. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    if your keyboard supports macro commands, may be just bind a script to it, and if you want it on your wheel, program like Joytokey could link a button to that macro key

17. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    No, it can't unfortunately.

18. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Ah, finally it all makes sense! Thanks a lot for taking the time to work it out mate, appreciate it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious actually @The Iron Wolf , is the poor performance in SteamVR purely because of the translation to Oculus? As in, would the performance be much more like opencomposite if you used SteamVR with something like the Vive or the Pimax you have?

20. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    There's no single simple answer. Also, I do not know everything - so take everything I say with a grain of salt. My goals of working on OC were not performance, it was more just for fun (my going away gift to R3E) and to not have SVR.

First of all, I mentioned many times, that in terms of pure FPS, I was getting better FPS in SVR vs OC. The problem seemed that SVR would not pace frames correctly (at least in the past). The result - SVR sometimes had higher FPS, but not so smooth experience compared to OC.

Now, regarding Oculus vs other headsets. SVR allows headsets to implement OpenVR driver. My understanding is, Oculus did not do that (because SVR and their home are competitors, and SVR paid back by not caring about Oculus support). So, instead of directly running Open VR on Oculus hardware there's conversion from Open VR to Oculus runtime (probably quickly done by Valve guys), which is an overhead, and was also buggy.

Now Pimax is different. They do implement direct Open VR driver, so there's no conversion happening.

All that said, I really hope one day someone will replace SteamVR with Open Source OpenVR host (it is doable, but it is quite a bit of work). The benefit would be that we won't be forced into completely unpredictable, breaking, poorly tested updates. I hate to be negative, but overall SVR is surprisingly crappy.