Special Events - 2019 Archive

Discussion in 'Special Events' started by Robert Wiesenmüller, Nov 4, 2018.

1. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    I have given this some thought before posting as my intent is not to insult or shame anyone, rather ask you to think before you hit escape (other than computer, network or server induced). My feelings on organized events are the hosts do a fantastic job in organization, and getting drivers to commit can be a feast or famine situation and I appreciate all that participate. The thing I don't get is the amount of DNF's for what appears to be for reasons other than related directly to car or driver. We owe it to each other to compete to the end if at all possible.

This past event saw a combined 28% retirement rate.

I am curious as to the reasons to be classified as DNF (other than computer, network or server induced) in particular an endurance race where anything can happen, and usually does. I have finished my fair share of races near or at the back of the field and feel as though I not only do I owe it to myself, but the ones in front of me to complete the race. Some of the best racing comes at unexpected times.

Catastrophic mechanical failure (irreparable)
    Ran out of fuel
    Physical or mental condition
    fatigue
    headache
    aggravated/frustrated with other drivers (I apologize if I contributed)​
    Pit strategy miscalculation/execution
    Penalty(s)
    Out of contention for podium
    No longer interested (bored)

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.
    Winners never quit and quitters never win.
    It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    While generally i totally agree i did not expect this rather long post to be because of a 28% retirement rate in a 2h race. Thatd be 17 finishers out of 24 starters. Compare that to public servers where 10 finishers on a 30 minute race are pretty much a miracle even when you have like 30 starters :D
    Obviously those are two different things but still :D

3. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    What would you consider a reasonable amount of DNF's not related to uncontrolled (computer related) issues on any particular race?

Edit: general question to everyone

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  4. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Idk but if on a public server 50% finish and on an organized event such as this one like two thirds finish then i wouldnt see a problem. Sure the more finishers the better but keeping expectations realistic wont hurt either :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I can understand that you have an internet problem and that you fall out of the server, but there are many who do not have the mentality to keep on driving after a crash or get off the road.

I myself had the misfortune that I had to start at the back due to a crash at the start ?? at this kind of start I always see the problem that people have no knowledge of which cars and or which driver are sitting in front of them.

I hope the organization continues to work on events like this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. laurent stako

laurent stako Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi
    I found myself DNF at the 44 minutes of the race after a shock against a wall yet not very strong, impossible to leave unfortunately because I had no engine.
    I was good last and it was very good considering the level of the participants, my goal was to finish the race.
    I hope I have not had too many people, I am disappointed not to have finished this excellent race!

• Like Like x 4
  7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I realized too late that the Cut Penalty System was used (after I confirmed my attandance) which is absolutely counterproductive (in a Multiclass Race by all means ! Where it is sometimes neccessary to go off track due to the traffic situation - who even came up with that idea ?) I generally refuse to race with it anyway : It kicks you out of the flow, generates additional stress and above all that its an unprecise mess , or better said a pure funkiller.
    The best experience is to have bunch of fair, experienced drivers who know their way around and even better if you know their driving style - so that the CP-System isn't neccessary anyway, as at my community (Virtualracing/RR Leagues, Robert knows) nobody is using it due to common issues (for that we have some of our divers incl. myself doing the Race Control job via Protests, and start sightings). I have to admit that along with my hardware error that was the point where my motivation went down the drain right from the beginning . I tried to fix that HW issue during an early pitstop but actually a reboot was required, which I did after I quit ;)...
    So for me no further RR Special Events...sry

8. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I would like to even see Australian,New Zealand and oceania event's there are community's there and players would like to see more pop out of the wood work.
    Where Raceroom Fan's to would be great to have Online event's for us Downunder Folk that support and play this game alot

• Like Like x 1
  9. Markus Reuss

Markus Reuss New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    After almost 10 years break after GTR2 I joined again in the December 2018. It was a great event. Was a lot of fun and except for a few exceptions, the drivers were very experienced. Thank you very much for the organization and I am looking forward to the next events!

• Like Like x 1
  10. totalgamertb21

totalgamertb21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    So what did you do at that point, did you leave the server or stay on the server?

11. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    [/QUOTE]

That collision could be avoided if S.Jäger and S.Nacu had stayed on their line. I needed almost two hours to get back to my starting place, but above all I had a super race with a full 2 hours of fun.

I refer to the start;)

12. laurent stako

laurent stako Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I stay on the server until the end of the race to avoid causing a bug or a freeze out of the server during the race!

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    We will run another Special Event... soon™. Already have an idea about a cars/track combo but of course I also take requests incase you have better ideas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  14. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    2 hours AQUILA CR1 SPORTS GT / Spa GP
    Fixed setup

15. Markus Reuss

Markus Reuss New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Fixed Setup is Perfect!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    WTCR 2018,GT3,GT4 at hockenheim ring GP :D

17. laurent stako

laurent stako Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Spécial Porsche: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup / Trophée Cayman / Coupe Porsche 911 carrera / SPA GP 2 H:D

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  18. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    imo its nice when each series had its own distinctive look and its quite different from each other (recent event is a good example)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    How about an FR X17, FR US and soon to be released FR 90 at Monza for a ninety minute speedfest?

Or maybe a FR 2, FR 3 and FR JR at Mid Ohio?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    There is this big race coming up, with a bunch of cars driving through the German forest, you know :grinning:
    [​IMG]