OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. KOKORO ga PYONPYON

KOKORO ga PYONPYON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, my question has been resolved.

2. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Isn't free head movement inside the car possible? My virtual head seems to be tied to the car body so that the whole car moves when i move my head.

3. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Should be totally free movement, i can hang my head out of the window :p ruled out any problems with the headset?

4. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Ok, actually the movement of the car body seemed to be tied to my virtual chest. Head tracking worked as it should. Body movement moved the whole car around me.

A few minutes ago i have played AC without any issues and then ended it and launched R3E but now the movement was as it should be and as it was in AC. That is strange. Maybe something related to mixed reality or SteamVR?

5. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    did you try changing camera setting? like free camera etc, bind every single camera option and check if anything helps; i once had exactly the same problem as you or the one where my camera changed when i entered pit :D

6. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I have tried a lot of things but in the end I found out that the same issue appears in every sim (R3E, AC, rF2) under certain circumstances which I will have to discover. It seems as if it would always happen if I don't wear the HMD the whole time during launch of Windows Mixed Reality/SteamVR. I am new to VR so there is plenty to learn.

7. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Just to make things clear: it is no R3E issue. It happens with every VR software and seems to be related to SteamVR.

8. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    did you try locking display to 45fps for perma smoothing?

9. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I am running default setting. Actually i didn't find the option for this setting yet. My Vega56 is totally bored even with SS 1.8 but only at 45fps. The confusing part is that there are so many options for changing a single value (SS) and honestly i don't know which one is the right one. Reprojection is on but i cannot find out how to disable it -especially for certain applications. In my SteamVR Setting is no Perfomance Tab. This whole VR thing is so unbelievably user unfriendly...

10. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, no matter what I try I don't get 90 FPS on track. In the menues I have 90 FPS but on the track I always have only 45 FPS even with 20% resolution (712x712). Steam VR settings are showing that motion smoothing is off. AMD Vega 56 with 19.4.1 driver.

Is there a known AMD driver that already works with motion smoothing and why can't I get beyond 45 FPS even @lowest settings?

11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    What are your settings for shadows and reflections?

12. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Both low. There is no difference what SS setting i chose and even with the lowest possible setting i don't get 90 FPS. AC runs with medium quality settings @ 90FPS and rF2 too. I can also run R3E with 200% SS or more and still get constant 45FPS with graphics card @ 30°C temperature...

13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Try shadows off and reflections lowest

14. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Why? It's not that the graphics card can not deliver enough power, but the performance is not requested by Raceroom. Even with 200% SS and 4x MSAA it runs smoothly, but only with 45 FPS (Reprojection).

And it is the same with the lowest quality settings and the lowest possible resolution. As soon as I get out of the main menus to start a training or race R3E switches from 90 to 45 FPS even before I'm even on the track.

My solution is to use high quality settings and 200% SS, so I have at least a nice graphics quality. With Reprojection this also runs smoothly, although the graphics card is only 75% busy and clocks with 800 instead of possible 1400 Mhz. Maybe SteamVR is to blame, but I think it's because of Raceroom's DX9. As long as DX11 is not used VR will not work well for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Can't you turn reprojection off entirely? There's an old version of SVR around somewhere which you can roll back to, as it reinstates the option to turn it off which was removed late last year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I did some investigations into this direction but to be honest I am too lazy to try this just for one Sim. Everything else runs fine and so i'll just wait for a better SteamVR version or a Raceroom Patch/DX11 Upgrade.

17. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Because they have a hard impact on the cpu. Raceroom is initialising only one Core.
    Just try and there are big chances to see Raceroom with 90 FPS.

Most of the higher settings makes no changes in the visual. You can't see the differences in your headset.

18. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Lol, that's unlikely. They make it worse with every patch, not better! Hence why those of us forced to use it often choose the rollback version. Takes one minute to install and improves performance in all of my SVR-based games on Oculus, so the advantages are not limited to R3E.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    You want to minimize the draw calls to lower the CPU load to get minimum CPU overhead, it is really hard to push the GPU as we are CPU bound.
    You can have a look at my settings I'm almost all the time @90fps with these
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...formance-tweaks-tips.13068/page-3#post-178056
    If you are using Oculus Rift, there is an alternative to SteamVR, you'll find more details in previous post in the thread linked above.

20. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    In the meantime I have tried a lot of different settings from the lowest possible one to very high settings. The results are always the same. CPU utilisation is around 25-30% spread almost equaly on every core. GPU is bored to death @fix 45FPS.
    This issue appears in no other Sim that I have tried so far (AC, pC1, DR 1, rF2). And btw I am using WMR (Medion Erazer X1000 -same as Lenovo Explorer).