Released Volkswagen ID.R Time Attack Challenge

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Apr 24, 2019.

1. totalgamertb21

totalgamertb21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Well, we might as well try test-driving the car before we choose to buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    And on a better track than the stock test drive track ;)

3. Aspius

Aspius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The ID. R have finally done it's lap. The time was 6:05,336. Average speed was 206,96 km/h

4. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Dumas's virtual lap was 6:06 something. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Holi

Holi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From what I saw it looked like the car had significantly less grip in the corners in reality and reached quite a bit higher top speeds than the one I've been driving in this event :) Feel like I should get back inside and see if I can't drive just a little bit faster anyways, really don't drive like anything else and it's a lot of fun

6. Duke

Duke New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes the faster top speeds was due to the DRS system I presume. Also notice Romain doesn't go into the Carousel.
    Can't wait for the R3E version to be updated with DRS & fine-tuned from the real lap data from VW.

7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm faster than real :) Wohooo

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Rate at which those turns come to windscreen :eek:

9. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    If were going to use that to say that the r3e lap times are matching almost perfectly then i along with hundreds of others turn out to be better drivers than dumas ;)

10. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Hehe, I don't think we can or should compare. The car in the competition has no DRS, tops at 250 instead of 270, and we now know that we went above and gave the car too much downforce, which compensated the lack of top speed.

Add to that that the competition was originally meant to be fixed setup, and this explains the faster laptimes you guys did.

Also, I think Dumas could have pushed the car a bit more and do a sub-6, but it's too important to keep it safe and not break the car, or himself :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Of course, but only few can actually handle those g-forces for even 1 minute :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be saying that he seems to drive in Raceroom just like he does in real life (i.e. not like a lunatic with a death wish ;) ), with similar outcomes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    If youre not a lunatic with a death wish what are you even doing. Back in the day every race driver was one ;D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, I don't think (m)any of those who lost their lifes in racing wished for that to happen. They were (and are) daredevils for sure, more so than most "normal" people, but I'm convinced there will always be another level of instincts kicking in once you're actually sat in one of those incredible machines.

While achieving your lap time, how many times have you crashed the car? ;) He couldn't afford and I'm sure he had no desire to push that far.

15. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Wonderful achievement by Volkswagen!

I can see quite clearly now why we've ended up with the lap time discrepancy we have between our ID.R and the ID.R, but unfortunately the reasons only became evident after we launched our competition.

It turns out the specification of the car, especially the aero, changed quite considerably between the Pikes Peak version and what was run in Germany. I can't drop numbers here because I've signed a contract in blood, but the priority at Pikes Peak is generating downforce, whereas the emphasis at the Nurburging is on comparative efficiency. The highest point of the Nordschleife is the start/finish line at 620m above sea level, whereas the summit of Pikes Peak is 4302m. It it were around 20 degrees at sea level, the air density at the Nurburgring would be 1.07kg/m3, whereas at Pikes Peak it would be 0.73kg/m3, 32% lower. Downforce and drag are directly affected by air density, so if you take a car from the Nurburgring to Pikes Peak, it will make 32% less downforce and drag there. Conversely, if the ID.R was taken to the Nurburgring in Pikes Peak specification, it would make 32% more drag, which would be bad news for power consumption considering that both circuits are a similar length. Understandably, VW remain rather coy about the performance numbers, and while the project is being developed we effectively have a moving target to simulate.
    Also factor in that the current aero in game is too forgiving at yaw angles (it actually rewards it) and I have some good grounding to more forwards with and improve.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Well on a serious note obviously agree on all that.
    But im not here to be too serious most of the time ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Duke

Duke New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  18. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The futuristic sound of the car in cockpit is - fascinating. I wish the engine ignitor would make the same sound by which they ignite the light sabres in Star Wars. :DAnd when it crosses the finishing line or dives into the pitlane, it must roar like a TIE-fighter!

19. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this time it's correct!;)

20. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    And I guess you want that as a pitstop animaition :D :

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1