Question Tire pressures on leaderboards

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nico Kunze, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Why are the tire pressures deactivated on the leaderboards?

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Tyre physics are fixed on the leaderboard, there are no temperature differences either.

3. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Yeah i guess the question was only semi thought through since my argument for enabling them wouldve only made sense if tire temps werent fixed :D
    But i just find it weird potentially having to run a different setup on the leaderboards than everywhere else

4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Bit weird perhaps, but the leaderboards are meant to be a level playing field for everyone. They remove a bunch of variables so that we all have optimum conditions, meaning the times are more reflective of driver ability. I like that myself. The game has practice modes already, so there are other places for making actual racing setups if that's what you're doing.

5. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Maybe an extra option in the leaderboard to choose for a fixed set up leaderboard and a leaderboard where you can set up a Car.
    Of course not for competitions (leaderboard)

6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    You already can set up your car. The only things which are fixed a fuel, tyre wear, and tyre temperatures. I don't really see the need for a totally separate leaderboard just to enable those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    To organise monthly some time trial competitions in your own racing club where everyone have the same conditions

8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I don't understand. How would having separate fixed/unfixed setup leaderboards allow this? The leaderboards would still be global and showing all-time best times, so would still not work for hot lap competitions in individual racing communities. (I wish they did, as I'd like to run some.)

9. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    As i sad, tho have in fact two equal leaderboard
    One with setup and one to turn off the possibilty to turn it on.
    Ofcourse i know it sounds easy, but will be a (to) great change for sector3
    That's why, it's just an idea

10. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    If its about a level playing fields then completely fixed setups would be the way to go imo.
    I always make my setups in practice sessions but id like to be able to use those on the leaderboards as well without having to make changes

11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Being unable to tweak anything whatsoever about a car's setup means you can't tailor the car to suit your own driving style, which means it would not be a level playing field. You think Hamilton and Bottas use the exact same setup on their cars in a Grand Prix? Nope. They set the car up to suit their own style, enabling them to get maximum pace from it. Give the same car to the other and their pace would not be the same.

12. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    It would be a level playing field in that you get what you get and get it around the track as quick as you can. Whoever does the best job at that wins.
    And if you think that you should be able to make the car more suitable to your driving style then why should being able to adjust tire pressures be an exception from that? For me id say either allow everything or nothing but the in between approach doesnt make too much sense to me

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just a little background info:

IIrc things like tyre temperatures and pressure are tied to tyre wear, so they'd have to enable tyre wear for those adjustments to be available and make any sense.

If they enabled tyre wear the most likely scenario would be that people do one lap, then reset the session in order to have maximum tyre performance. Because they wanted people to be able to do longer stints of several laps in order to "get in the groove", it was decided to disable tyre wear.

On the other hand people might be used to a certain setup that differs a lot from the default one, so they allowed all those adjustments that don't have a degrading effect on the car's performance. (Which is also why damage is disabled.)

As most things, it's a compromise between realism and adjustability on one hand and playability on the other.

EDIT: Regarding fuel use, it's of course the opposite, it would mean your car gets lighter and therefore potentially faster. So for realism's sake they fixed the fuel amount at the default level, otherwise everyone would do their laps with 1l of fuel on board. ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  14. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    If tire temps and pressures cant be enabled without tire wear then thats probably the answer im most happy with :D

15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    That's not level, since we all have out own styles of driving and need to adapt the car to those styles in order to get maximum performance. The fact the default setup suits some people's natural style but not others would be inherently unfair. Some people simply won't drive at all if they can't tailor a car to suit their needs, so the leaderboards would not be representative of the R3E community and would likely be very underpopulated to boot.

If you don't like my real world car racing comparison, let's try another... it would be like forcing all professional sprinters to wear the exact same size of clothing and shoes, regardless of whether they fit their bodies or not.

Because of what Christian said above... pressures are linked to tyre temp and by extension, tyre wear. While that is an important consideration in racing, it should not play any part in a hot-lapping scenario, in the same way that fuel and damage does not.

16. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Well then were just not gonna ever get a level playing field. I dont see how itd be any less unfair for people who dont have the time/knowledge/whatever to fine tune their cars who then might just not do leaderboards at all because they wont be very competitive.
    Except for a few classes and mainly the tracks those classes race on in real life the leaderboards arent very representative anyways ;)
    Not sure id compare a slightly different driving style with running in shoes that dont fit at all but ok :D
    To get back to real world racing why are those millions of porsche cups so popular if with the pretty limited amount of setup options many drivers are disadvantaged? All i ever hear is that it shows who the best drivers are..
    Will disagree here as well although that might be based on not knowing the exact definition of hotlapping so if my following comparing it to a quali session isnt fitting then sorry. But looking at quali (so trying to get the best possible lap) all three of those are very important factors

All that being said i didnt intend for this to become such a long discussion :D

17. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    At our club there is an interest in a monthly time-trial competition with a fixed set-up
    Simply because there is interest in having everyone drive with the same institutions.
    This is currently not possible at the leaderboard because if someone has already driven a setup on a certain circuit with a certain car, this time remains.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to set up such a thing in the dedicated server for a period of one month. Therefore my remark for this