Tire and Brake Temperature Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rickey Richard, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Rickey Richard

Rickey Richard New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I've noticed since the last update that getting and keeping the tire and brake temp at optimal for any given car on any given track is damn near impossible. I've had this conversation with others and everyone is pretty much in agreement that something has changed, and not for the better. I'm curious what you guys think and if I'm missing something that maybe needs to be done setup wise, then by all means please let me know. I really am trying to play the sim more and as of right now it feels pretty unplayable in it's current state. Just my opinion on the matter and I hope you all will share yours.

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I'm not having any problems keeping my tyres and brakes at good operating temps, so I'm not sure what's up for you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Unplayable ? Really ? :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Rickey Richard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like I said, just pointing out what I've noticed but I had a race the other day at the Nurburgring and the warmest my tires got (front tires) was around 72 degrees. My brakes were ice cold for the majority of the 1hr race I took part in. There were others in the same race race who could barely keep their tires at 70 degrees so I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Maybe unplayable was to strong of a word but i have no confidence in driving any car at this moment.

5. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Would be good to know what car(s) you were driving when you were around 70 degrees.
    But personally if anything my problem is the tire getting too warm after a few laps, no idea about brake temps

6. Rickey Richard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    The only change which was made to the GT3 cars recently was this global change:

• Fixed an issue where brake disks were pre-heated to optimal temperatures when spawning the vehicle in sessions other than Time-Attack.
    The GT3 cars all use similar brake pads which give their optimum performance between 350-650 degrees C, and drop off either side of that is quite gradual.

Tyre temperatures of 70 degrees are fine, they have a wide operating range so grip won't start to drop off until they're under 60.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Rickey Richard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your response and I will do some more driving to see if maybe it was a one off incident or I am just going crazyo_O

9. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    So just did a few laps around nürburgring gp in the r8 looking at tire temps for 3 laps and at brake temps for another 3 laps.
    Tire temps were absolytely fine for me. Going along the backstraight around the final couple of corners and down the start/finish straight my right front tire dropped down to like 74 degrees but for the rest of the lap it didnt really go below 80. The other 3 tires never really went below 80 at all.
    Brakes were indeed rather cold. The hottest they got was 400 into turn 1 and the coldest they got was about 200. Before a braking zone they hardly ever were above 300 so if that sounds strange to @Alex Hodgkinson maybe he can have a look at it but then again the gt3s are due for a physics update anyways so things might be different after that. Either way i didnt feel like the brake temps took away any confidence from me while driving ;)

10. Rickey Richard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems like we are having much different experiences when it comes to the GT3 cars. I went back to test out the situation and see if it was just a one off thing that happened to me but I had almost the same results. I also noticed that my tire temps dropped nearly 12 degrees by the time I reached turn 3 at Nurburgring. That seems like a big drop in temp in such a short period of time. I was never able to get the tires any hotter than 74 degrees which from what @Alex Hodgkinson said are in the operating window. I will say the tires felt fine at that temp but I firmly believe there is an issue with how quickly the tires loose temp and how quickly the brakes loose temp. I can see a track like Monza were you would struggle to keep the brakes warm, not at Nurburgring though. Just something I've noticed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed the tyre temp thing too, it's never a problem in terms of grip as they are still in the operating window but it is weird that they are heated to 85 and that's what they run at in competitions so it would be safe to assume that is optimal. However in normal racing even being very hard on the tyres I can't get them to stay in the 80s.

12. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Hm looks like yall are doing something different than me.. :D

13. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm probably just not going fast enough!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Formula 90's V10 brakes drop to around 70 degrees at the end of the main straight indianapolis GP layout. Their temps are peaking at about 350 by the end of the last 120km/h corner just before you come onto the indy section.

15. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Have you guys tried lowering your pressures at all?

16. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Not possible on gt3s

17. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Other than tire pressure, what other setup adjustments can help keeping heat in the tires? Would a softer suspension help ?

18. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Go the other way - stiffer will generate more tyre heat and wear

19. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    See I thought it would be softer cause the weight of a car would push the tires into the road. That’s why I asked.. never stop learning

20. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    i'm sure this is simulated but i'll ask anyway, under hard braking the tires get heated from the rotors. Is that factored into the game?