Telemetry SecondMonitor (Timing & status App)

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Winzarten, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Cool, will try to write you then :)

In the mean time, version 5.4, which contains the telemetry loading rework is out. Hopefuly, with all bugs squised :D
    For me, a lap in GT3 around the Nordschleife is loaded within second or two + few more seconds for the charts to process the amount of data point :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
  2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Okay wow, it's so quick I can't even see the loading bar anymore even loading a Nords lap :D Amazing job! Loading the charts does still take some time though as you said and that is also one thing you could maybe look into. With the amount of data you get from nords, it's extremely laggy to scroll, move or zoom in the plots, seems to cause a lot of CPU load and that is probably causing it. Regardless though, these loading times are insane, really nice :D

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  3. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    That is what I'm currently working on, and it looks good. The problem is in the chart package itself, it really boggles down when it has lots of points to display.
    Yesterday I've tried a different rendering version of that package, and once again, it is night and day :D The charts can now be really manipulated in realtime, even with bigger datasets. There are few graphical anomalies (mostly when scrolling), and few gremlins to solve, but most likely another update will come this weekend :)

The ability to refresh those charts fast also brings live telemetry back on the radar :)

Edit: Damn... even lap on the green hell can now be analyzed without lag :D

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  4. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I've pushed a new version with the updated chart controls. There are few problems that come with the solution (using win forms control inside a WPF application).
    • Loading of first lap is slower, and the application can freeze for some seconds. Also the memory consumption can spike considerably, temporarily. But loading of all consecutive laps is instant.
    • There is a lot of graphical artifacting that happens when you scroll the panel containing the charts, or during changes of selected distance.
    At this point I think there is very little I can do with these, but I think the these few nuisances are more than worth the excelent performance :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry to say it doesn't seem to be working for me :( performance is great, but nothing is being displayed correctly, let me know if there is anything on my end that I can do :p (maybe windows scaling?)
    [​IMG]

edit: it is indeed windows scaling causing this, anything you can do with this?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  6. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Yes, looks like it is windows scaling. I'm able to reproduce it and I will try to fix it ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I've pushed a new version in which the scaling should be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    yup, awesome thanks! :D

9. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    With the most annoying performance issues fixed, work continues on some new features.

Accompanying the requested charts/changes, with persistable settings for each car, will be ability to group laps into "stints".

2019-07-03_16-30-39.png

This grouping will affect the way aggregated chart are opened/displayed. In scatter plots, where it makes sense, it will add a series for each "stint group", so it easier to compare data between lap groups.

For charts where this approach doesn't work (i.e. histograms), this will automatically open multiple instance of such chart, one for each group.

In new telemetry files these stint will be autofilled during creation, based on pit stops. So all laps between two pit entries will belong to the same group (it will be possible to disable this behavior so all laps belong to the first group).

Also, because loading is now much faster, I will most likely implement a "load all" button, which will load all the files. And a load "stint" which would load all lap from that stint.

The use case is basically - do some runs in simulator, with different setups, open the telemetry viewer. The laps should already be grouped by each setup (because you had to be in pits before setup changes). Load all laps, and open chart you would like and see the difference between setups.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. Clems

Clems New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

After following your tutorial on how to run the application on another computer it does not work at home I can not connect the two computers together

thank you

cordially

11. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I will check it to see if something broke in recent version.

In the mean time, could you please provide me the logs from both the computers? If you open the second monitor main app, there is an "open log directory" button in the settings.

12. Clems

Clems New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your reply.
    There might be a problem with the IP address, no?

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      239.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I've pushed a new updated where one error that might cause problems is fixed. Check please again, if it helped.
    I've no problems with the functionality on my side. Maybe double check if the application isn't forbidden in firewall.

14. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Another sneak peak of the stints functionality.
    During opening of chart, you will be able to select how do you want the data displayed in relation to stints (this is persisted, so you don't have to set it each time you want to open a chart.)
    TelemetryViewer_2019-07-08_17-05-27.png

These options will be initiali present:
    • None - will work as it is now, takes all laps, ignoring the stints, and shows a single charts.
    • Separate Chart for each stint - Laps in each stint will be opened in own chart window (basically you will get as many chart, as you have selected stints).
    • Separate series for each stint - This will initially work only for scatterplots (I haven't thought yet how to make it for histograms). This will display all stints in a single chart, with each stint having a separate series. If scatterplot normaly contains more than one series (i.e. traction circle has multiple series with different throttle ranges), then these will be combined into a one seires. This should allow better comparison between stints. I.e. below is a traction circle (now correctly named :p ) made from two stints, where it is obvious that in second stint I hade way more grip during braking.
    SecondMonitor_2019-07-08_18-35-26.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. gpellis87

gpellis87 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Wanted to say thanks for the work on this. One of the most lacking things for me in RR has been the after-race statistics, and I've found a hard time to find anything that replicates log analyzer from RF2. This is pretty good - just downloaded it and started using it yesterday with RR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  16. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Little trick I took time to find: if you double click your line on the live time table, that will open a small window showing up all your lap times as you progress through your cession :)

17. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Implementation of stints is done, work continues on improving/creating new charts.
    In the next version, the suspension velocity chart was improved.
    TelemetryViewer_2019-07-14_10-31-03.png
    It is now possible to define the fast/slow transition for each wheel separately. Also all parameters on this chart will be persisted, separately for each car. So you only need to set those settings once.

Also, thanks to Alex Hodgkinson, for the majority of R3E cars (127 to be exact), these value will be preset with what R3E uses for these cars under the hood. :)

Another new chart will be the camber histogram.
    TelemetryViewer_2019-07-14_10-56-15.png
    This chart was requested by Alex, and should help analyzing camber behavior during cornering. For better readability.

It is also possible to filter data points for lateral G, so you only get data from turns that interest you, without being scewed by straights.
    Another option will be to only consider data points where the wheel is loaded (being the outside wheel in a turn), unloaded (being the inside wheel in a trun), or both. :)

TelemetryViewer_2019-07-14_10-56-23.png

• Wonderful Wonderful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    5.6 is out. :)

With the previously mentioned changes it also contains a set of charts for tyre loads - tyre load histogram + few scatterplots (tyre load vs camber/lat acc/long acc).

In the main app there were also few settings added for rating, especialy the rating reference might be useful, as it affects how hard it should be to win the race with the suggested difficulty.
    https://gitlab.com/winzarten/SecondMonitor/wikis/Rating-Settings

• Wonderful Wonderful x 3
  19. Adusumilli

Adusumilli New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I am using this app SecondMonitor to work with Assetto Corsa. It is installed on both the server and client PCs, I could see the connections between them as mention in the setup page. But for some reason, not working after starting the session (Assetto Corsa)--- connected Simulator: NONE (in broadcast server) and there no change in the status of "Remote (in client-server).

Could you please help me to resolve this issue and start using the app.

Thank you!

20. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I've just pushed an updated that fixes the application not working correctly with assetto corsa when installed in the default directory.
    If it doesn't help, that it would be great if you could provide logs from both installations.