TCR & WTCR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bindaree Racing, Jul 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Currently loving the new 2019 WTCR cars.
    Apologies if this has already been asked but I wonder if someone from Sector3 ( @J-F Chardon maybe ;) ) could answer a question for me.

With the amount of TCR championships there is around the world at the moment, the amount of skins and makes available is endless. You could make a world of TCR purchase pack with skins and cars from championships from around the world.

So my question,
    Does Sector 3 have the licence for all of the TCR cars/Championships or are limited to the WTCR? Are the cars separate in regards to intellectual property or under the one banner in regards to each championship?

Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I would think each championship has it's own IP, like the WTCC and BTCC for example. So to make liveries you'd need licenses from them, and perhaps the permission of the car manufacturers too. They seem to have a big say in the exact use of their cars given the recent withdrawal of Citroen from R3E.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    That's true. I'd totally forgotten about Citroen's withdrawal. Maybe (hopefully) Sector 3 are doing deals as we speak. ;);)

The fun I am having at the moment with the 2019 WTCR pack has made me bite the bullet and purchase a Playseat Challenge Seat. (Lack of space and funds stopped me from going all out on a big rig. But gotta start somewhere.) So while not a direct Sector 3 purchase, the quality of their product has me wanting to purchase more within the racing/gaming sector. With the popularity of TCR all around the world at the moment, I can see more people doing the same.

It could be a real goldmine for them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. W2Racing

W2Racing Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I asked essentially this same question in the thread when this most recent update was released. One of the people affiliated with the sim gave a short response here. Below I'll copy my comment/suggestion in full:

"Would it ever be possible for you guys to do a livery pack for TCR cars that don't compete in the WTCR, but instead in the various regions around the world? I would pay good money, and would pre-buy for sure (as I'm sure other dedicated TCR fans would as well) if you guys were considering it and wanted to gauge interest.

As an example-
    TCR Europe - Files, Briche, Magnus, Comte, Homola, Urrutia, etc
    ADAC TCR Germany - Buri, Proczyk, Halder, Hesse, Coicaud, etc
    TCR Asia - Engstler, Lloyd, Oriola, Moran, Miranda
    TCR Australia - Brown, O'Keefe, D'Alberto, Cameron, Moffat, Tander, Pither, Bright, etc
    In addition there are other championships (Italy, Russia, Iberia, America, Canada, along with IMSA) where there are more potential cars that could be included. To me, if the cars are already built this would be a fairly easy money making endeavor.

There are also other homologated TCR cars racing in these series such as:
    Hyundai Veloster
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra
    Lada Vesta
    Renault Megane
    Subaru WRX
    as well as the Peugeot 308 which was not included in the 2019 release.

From a business standpoint WTCR and TCR in general is one of the things that Raceroom has on other sims. You should exploit this. If you had WTCR every summer, and a release of the International TCR series' every winter you could get money from the same people twice a year and you would be the only sim with a complete library of TCR cars. Just a thought, of course I would be more than happy with just the skins for the existing cars and as I said more than willing to pay and I'm sure there are many others as well.

Thank you for everything you do! This is a great sim.
    Jeff."

You can read the contents of the entire thread here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/10th-july-2019-update.13397/page-2

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. W2Racing

W2Racing Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    As I said in my initial comment in the update release thread, I think it makes a lot of business sense.

June/July - WTCR Release ($20) with current year cars, and BOP for cars included in the existing season.
    Nov/Dec - TCR Release ($20) with (probably the easiest way to decide which cars are in) top 5-10 from each international series as well as the cars and BOP for those drivers (so in this years case you would get Peugeot from TCR Europe, Lada from TCR Russia, Astra from various TCR series, Veloster from America, Subaru and Megane from Australia, etc)

$40/yr per Touring Car fan = profit for Sector 3
    10+ TCR Cars with accurate BOP and 60+ top quality liveries = Happiness from Touring Car fans

Win/Win

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I don't see any point in making more TCR series. It will cost a lot of money for all those licenses and i think not many people are willing to spend more money on yet another TCR series.
    I think it would be wiser to spend this money on adding cars to incomplete series we already have like GT4, Group 4, Group c, DTM 1995-2003-2005.

Edit : i really like the WTCR series, but 1 complete annual series is enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. W2Racing

W2Racing Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Unlike many series TCR is all of these series. They are all primarily promoted by WSC save for a few examples (such as ADAC TCR Germany which is still affiliated with WSC). The point here is that you wouldn't be negotiating with several different series, you would be negotiating with WSC once (and for all we know their currently negotiated deal with WTCR may already allow such things as several of the top drivers in these series have been or will be wildcard entries in WTCR).

Your argument about GT4 cars can be equally made regarding TCR. Currently there are 6 TCR cars not included in WTCR 2019 (listed above, including Hyundai Veloster, The Opel Astra, Subaru WRX, Lada Vesta, Peugeot 308, Renault Megane, and also soon to be Mazda and MG). Regarding the historical DTM content I would argue that making missing content for a current series (whether that is GT4 or TCR) is more important than making historical content.

Given the popularity of WTCR on Raceroom, and the fact that there are currently no other sims that have official TCR content I think there are a lot of people who would buy additional TCR Series content. GT fans have Raceroom, AC, ACC, iRacing, Pcars, etc. so all of the GT fans around the world are split among those sims. The majority of TCR fans are on Raceroom as it is the only option aside from sub-par mods on AC and rFactor 2.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. Krystian Sulkiewicz

Krystian Sulkiewicz Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I love WTCC, WTCR and other FWD car racing series, but I think more than one TCR series is an exaggeration. Instead of three consecutive TCR series, I would prefer a few missing race tracks first, especially Vila Real with a working joker lap. Raceroom for several years is the best FWD cars simulator, which is so few in sims. It's great that this potential is also used when creating other series like Renault Clio Cup or Kia Picanto Cup.

9. W2Racing

W2Racing Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    There are over 900 TCR cars in existence world-wide. It is a shame to have just 26 of them in Raceroom. Even a livery pack with 20-25 liveries from around the world as I suggested would suffice.

If the amount of interest is a question to the developers why not do something like a kickstarter to gauge interest. I personally would be willing to contribute significantly more than what it would cost on Raceroom. I know other die-hard TCR fans who would surely do the same, along with the many people who would at the very least be willing to contribute the cost of the content in exchange for the receiving the content when its released.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    This.
    Like a mini world cup of racing. Pick 2 or 3 liveries from each series. And include the other makes missing and you are onto a winner me thinks.
    I think this would gain sector 3 new customers because as you said, Raceroom is the only sim with licenced TCR content, not dodgy copies like the other sims.

• Like Like x 2