FFB Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KW Studios, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achokaracho

Achokaracho Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks
    Let me ask you something.
    I have a T300rs and have read a lot on the internet the last few days.
    The question refers to the Thrustmaster Control Panel.
    Some say 100% Overall strength of forces, others say no just don't, leave it at 75%.
    The default setting is 75%.

Some say damping at 0%, otherwise you lose details, others say leave it at 100%.

Same with the spring setting. 0% 100%, there are so many opinions.
    Can someone help me?
    I am now absolutely confused :D

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

2. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    i used to run my tx at 100%, never had issues, spring and damper can stay at 100% as they are only used if you select spring and damper settings in game

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Same here, everything at 100% in CP. In game, i never use spring and damper.

4. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I’ve also seen that many suggest 100. Which I have no problem with that. But I do have an issue if I damage it since I can’t afford to replace it anytime soon

5. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    There's nothing wrong with leaving it at 75%. If you use 100% in CP and you start a new game, always lower the in game strength a bit and test it until you are happy.
    My wheel base is 5+ years old and i use it every day with 100% and it still works perfect.

6. Achokaracho

Achokaracho Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thx guys

7. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Ive recently started to use the damper setting here and in Rf2 ( all my TM CP settings at 75% in my case). It allows for my FFB settings to stay at the template setting eg lat & vert : 40/40 and it gives a very nice strength to the wheel (bump and pneumatic trail, with no oscillation and no clipping whilst the game setting for dampening is running at 40%. It also stops the unnecessary increases in multipliers for many cars due to extra weight and strength so you can run many cars on the default multiplier.

Old FFB guides for older games suggested to turn dampening off in your wheel app, but modern games like this , rf2 and now acc make good use of dynamic dampening but cant use it if you have it off in your wheel app.

I use a much lower under-steer effect too typically around 18-25 depending on the car. You can find the sweet spot by running 18-20 then go up or down a percent until you feel the wheel become "cleaner" in a corner compared to the heavy clumsy feel if its far too low. The effect is far to high on most default templates 60%+. I also would recommend most players to lower it dramatically as it can lead to weird wheel behavior as soon as you turn a car as it kicks in over the slightest wheel slipping which is too much and can make lock ups or general corner attacking harder than it needs to be.

This really brings out the powerhouse of your wheel in VR the immersion goes through the roof as the wheel feels less of a toy and more of an extension of your virtual environment with the strong feel of dampening.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Given whats been said over the last couple of days on here I've done some more tweaking/faffing with my FFb settings.

Damper, its definitely needed but I've reduced it a bit...helps a few of the smaller stuff come through. Same with minimum force....down from 20 to 10.

Under-steer I've dropped from 40 to 20 and I get less of that on-off feel from the wheel when the front tyres are unloading...it feels a more natural transition.

Rack....now this was surprising because I've been told 100 is best but I'm now at 50 and the tyre load feels more natural...I can feel the edge of grip better and as a result I can catch slides as they happen and the steering feels generally less wooden. I tried it on 0 but I felt the steering lost its direct feeling and sudden unexpected over-steer was less controllable.

I have reduced my steering forces slightly....which should please the fans in my wheelbase.

Collision effect reduced massively because it serves no real purpose

Slip effect. This is interesting, it adds a vibration when the wheels are sliding, its not realistic as such but I do like it....it adds in a bit of what some may call texture and just tricks the mind a little into feeling the tarmac. That's on 50. 100 is awful, 0 feels a bit dead.

New settings T300

TM software

In Game
    FFB Intensity 100
    smoothing 5
    spring 0
    damper 50

steering force intensity 75
    minimum force 10
    understeer 20
    vert load 70
    lateral force 44
    steering rack 50

slip effect 50
    engine 0
    kerbs 100
    shift effect 0
    collision effect 50

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Gave those settings a run and I enjoy them. Ran in a practice session with the FR90 and 962. Feels really solid with the TMX

• Like Like x 1
  10. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    TS PC racer owner here, will give TM panel Damper 100% setting a try and report.been using 0% for ages but eh, you never know.

11. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I left everything to default. If you don't use damper ffb settings you shouldn't feel the effect from damper

12. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    For me the steering rack option is almost like a volume dial for the lateral forces ffb slider. At 0 u get the full lateral ffb value, , whatever u may set it at and at 100 I get no lateral forces almost.

Does that sound about right.?

BTW damper for me is the way to go for some years now even on my tspc racer, although it's not as noticeable as on my old t300

13. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone noticed that curbs seem to bite harder now? Was running Indycar at Anderstorp.

14. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I was getting a little despondent about the FFB not being quite right on my CSL Elite. With a couple of minor tweaks, I have adopted your settings @ravey1981 and they’re fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing, Raceroom feels rejuvenated. And I agree, that slip effect is great, really adds something.

I tried lots of different cars, and they’re basically all great. The DTM 92 felt a bit odd around the center, but I think that’s because they’re still on the old physics, right?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mike Roller

Mike Roller New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have still a lack of precision. Mostly in Corners.

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Try increasing the steering rack....you get a slightly more direct feel but the consequence is you lose a bit of feel for the tyre. FFB is a very personal thing, my advice would be adjust one thing at a time...start with minimum and compare to maximum to see what everything does. Then find a setting you like. It will never be "perfect".

Always remember to adjust the ffb multiplier in car settings, each car feels different and they can be dialled in quite nicely with this. Use the on screen ffb meter to make sure you don't have huge clipping (clipping maybe once or twice a lap is ok on consumer grade wheels)

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The dtm92 are on the very oldest physics so will feel odd compared to newer cars. They will be updated in due course. Newer physics cars include gtr2, fr90, fr junior and TCR so best to judge the game on those as it stands.

18. Matias Polidoro

Matias Polidoro New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys!!! I have a problem, perhaps it is normal, but I dont know.
    I tried all the suggested settings but I cant deal with this problem, when the car goes straigth and any force on the steering wheel is done It becames "crazy", It starts to turn from one side to another very quickly as if the wheels were broken. When the FFB intensity is 100% it becomes impossible to drive on straight. The only way to "solve" it is reducing the FFB intensity, the problem is that all the effects of the FFB get lost.
    In addition, when I activate the "Gamepad Rumble" the FFB doesnt works. The steering wheel works as if no software was installed
    I tried to upload a demonstration video but it passes easily the maximum size.

Thank you very much!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  19. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Matias Polidoro Which wheel do you use? Also can you put your PC specs and racing hardware in your signature. It makes it easier to help you.

20. Matias Polidoro

Matias Polidoro New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You are right Paul, I completely forgot that.
    I have Logitech G920.
    Intel I5 6400, 8gb ram, video Radeo R7 370.
    Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.