VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the answer! I guess we can hope that they will put more effort into it with the Index coming, good times ahead for VR in general i think :D

2. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I agree, great times for VR are ahead :) I just hope Valve guys won't break other headsets/games while improving Index support :) Or, maybe let's hope they will? More motivation to replace Steam VR with the open source alternative :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boremar

Boremar Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I am getting an Oculus Rift S today. It will be my first VR device. I only plan on playing Raceroom with it. Should I plan on doing this mod, or is Steam VR is a good enough state?

I have an i5-8600K and a 1070TI with 32GB of memory.

4. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    It is different for everyone, so test it and see what works :D

5. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Anyone here using the Valve Index? If so, what kind of Graphic settings are you using in-game and in SteamVR? I've always found it hard getting a crystal clear image in RaceRoom ever since CV1. I've had the Vive Pro, Pimax 5k+, and now the Index. They all look OK but I've never gotten it crisp and sharp like I've gotten iRacing to look.

Any help would be appreciated.

6. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Well the problem most likely that it a Iracing uses DX11 as R3E uses DX9 :(

7. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    How could that be? I thought for VR to work it has to be DX11. I wasnt aware of that.

8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    DX9 isn't officially supported by VR, but it doesn't mean it can't be made to work with it. It just means that anything which is broken or incompatible will stay that way unless the developer finds a workaround, as they won't get any help from Oculus, Valve, or whoever.

9. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So were stuck unless they update to dx11

10. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I find the game to be desperately cpu limited, even on a flatscreen.

I lock the FPS at 120fps. But I can see the FPS drop down to ~115 when leaving the pits or when there are a few cars in front of me. The in-game overlay "dash.exe" also has an additional penalty of ~5fps on my PC.

The cpu bottleneck is so bad, that my 1080TI is idling at 25% usage in these situations. How can VR handle 90fps at all times? In my Odyssey+ It cant.

whats my CPU? an 9900K @ 5.1ghz.

11. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    In VR whatever your CPU is you need to be reasonnable on your graphic options, just FYI car shadows e.g are penalizing FPS as much as AAx4 and 1.3SS... so often (except texture quality) off/low/lowest are your best friends for graphics options and maintaining 90fps in VR...
    Thomas and mine graphic options are described in earlier posts in this thread.

12. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    yeah turning shadows off and just using contact shadows makes a huge difference

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kackvogel

Kackvogel New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    VR Performance is so bad, i tried this today.

6600k @4,6, Vega 64 OC+UV, 16gb 3200
    but on all tests CPU and GPU dont get used they just ideling around...
    Road America, GTO, alone on Track, offline
    ASW is OFF, Vsync Off

RRR on 1 screen 1080p. everything low = 175 fps
    RRR on 1 screen 1080p supersampled(ss) from 3840x2160. everything low = 175 fps
    RRR on Rift CV1, ini from this Thread, -Vr 1.0, everything low = 80-90 fps
    RRR on Rift CV1, ini from this Thread, -Vr 2.0, everything low = 40-55 fps

Attached Files:

14. jamesleegte

jamesleegte New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This sim has the most unreliable VR of all the sims. When it works I really enjoy racing and have my settings dialled in. Whenever there is a update either with oculus, steam or raceroom you can kiss goodbye to vr for a few days. Four days ago I played for four hours straight no issues, tonight I can’t get to turn two in single practise mode without my rift S loosing tracking and then my headset and oculus app crashing and need re starting. The graphics in VR in this sim are easily the ugliest, the jaggiest and the jankiest, but I can turn a blind eye to it because I enjoy racing the AI. The reliability of VR in this sim is so poor. I never have issues with RF2, AC, Dirt Rally or PC2 in VR! They need to change up to DX11 soon, rfactor 2 achieved it and so can these devs!

15. Enrique Berton

Enrique Berton New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hola, alguien sabrá xq mi juego se cierra solo una ve que salgo a la pista/circuito... No puedo dar una vuelta que me tira al escritorio y el juego solo desaparece, se cierra x completo.
    gracias, saludos.

16. Enrique Berton

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, someone will know why my game closes only once I go out to the track / circuit ... I can't take a spin that throws me to the desk and the game just disappears, it closes full x. thanks greetings.

17. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I'm afraid I disagree with almost everything you said. It just doesn't correlate with my experience at all. It's definitely sub-optimal, probably due to using directx9, but it works reliably for me and I've been running it on my cv1 for two years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    That doesn't sound like an R3E issue mate, since the sim isn't responsible for tracking your headset. It's getting it's data from SteamVR. Given the number and frequency of issues I get with SVR which cause tracking issues, performance issues, and random crashes, I'd bet that's the real root of your problem.

(rF2, AC, DR, or PC2 all have a native Oculus mode, so SVR is not an issue with them.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kackvogel

Kackvogel New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    On date 05.08.19 I had a driver crash while gaming Iracing that forced my GPU to 100% mem and GPU clock. After that I could game RRR without a problem @90fps.
    Yesterday 07.08.19 I had the same issues an behaviour as before. Sadly only @45fps and nothing is going to get used.

Start option -vr 1.3
    ASW off
    In game everything on high to force some load for the GPU.
    I don't get it.

20. Enrique Berton

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [QUOTE = "jamesleegte, post: 184320, member: 19644"] Este sim tiene la realidad virtual más poco confiable de todos los sims. Cuando funciona, realmente disfruto compitiendo y tengo mi configuración marcada. Cada vez que hay una actualización, ya sea con oculus, steam o raceroom, puedes despedirte de vr durante unos días. Hace cuatro días jugué durante cuatro horas seguidas sin problemas, esta noche no puedo convertir dos en modo de práctica individual sin que mi rift S pierda el seguimiento y luego mis auriculares y la aplicación oculus se bloqueen y necesito reiniciar. Los gráficos en realidad virtual en este simulador son fácilmente los más feos, los más irregulares y los más desagradables, pero puedo hacer la vista gorda porque disfruto compitiendo con la IA. La fiabilidad de la realidad virtual en este sim es muy pobre. ¡Nunca tengo problemas con RF2, AC, Dirt Rally o PC2 en VR! Necesitan cambiar a DX11 pronto, ¡rfactor 2 lo logró y estos desarrolladores también pueden hacerlo! [/ QUOTE]

Muy cierto lo que dices ..