Triple screen setup - is adding a 4th monitor possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FedNotes, Aug 2, 2019.

1. FedNotes

FedNotes New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

This is my first post, so let me introduce myself.

My name is Dennis, I live in Belgium.
    I have a self build rig and I use a Fanatec CSL elite set.
    I love Raceroom and mostly I'm driving the DTM 2016 cars on Hockenheim, Spa, Zolder and Laguna Seca.

Allow me to ask a question within my first post.

My current setup looks as follows:
    - I have a triple screen setup, the 3 monitors are placed on a desk because I also use these monitors for work and other games. The monitors are setup in a way so that I can move them front to back on the desk.
    - I have a self build rig which is wheel based, so I can remove my chair away from my desk and move my rig close to my desk whenever I want to race. I move my triple screen setup as close as possible to the edge of my desk to minimze the distance between rig and screens.

Although this is a good solution, I still find that the screens are a bit to far away.
    Also, I constantly need to move everything around if I want to 'race - not race'.
    So I want to mount the triple screens on to my rig to make them dedicated for racing.
    This means that I need to buy a new (fourth) monitor to place on my desk for normal use of my computer.

I was wondering if this would be possible?
    Can I connect 4 monitors to 1 computer, where 3 monitors function as triple screen for racing (mounted on the rig) and 1 monitor (which is placed on the desk) functions as a single 'extra' monitor for desktop work and other games (like shooters)?

I'm aware that I would need long HDMI cables to connect the computer which is placed on the desk to the rig.

The videocard I'm using is a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Pulse 4GB, at the moment I'm using the DVI, one HDMI and one Displayport (with active displayport to hdmi converter)

Any Ideas?
    The alternative would be to buy a second computer for the rig.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Dennis

2. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I'm actually contenplating a similar scenario at the moment.
    Except ever since I've had tripple screens for racing; I now would be lost having tripple screens for my work LOL

So I'm contenplating some kind of video switching box to switch between 3 monitors on my desk and 3 montiors on a rig!

3. FedNotes

FedNotes New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello MattStone,

Do you have a link of such a switching box?

4. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
  5. FedNotes

FedNotes New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the link.
    If I understand it correctly, this device would make it possible to redirect the video signal of 1 of the 3 monitors from the triple screen setup to the 4th monitor on the desk?

6. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    yes that's what I would expect
    You would just have to select the monitor that windows defaults to when you don't use the extra monitors to expand or duplicate your desktop

7. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I am running such a setup with NV graphics card and it works fine. Windows sees 4 monitors and when you setup surround you pick the 3 monitors for it. And leave the 4th off. No need for extra hardware. Also it has nothing to do with games it's purely a driver / NV control panel thing.

The only downside is that sometimes it doesn't memorizes the setup and you have to do it in the driver again when you turn on the other screens. I have the rig parallel to desk and all things related to it with is powered off if not needed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  8. Cesar Maranhao

Cesar Maranhao Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Buy a vr headset instead for your racing needs and leave triple screen for everything else. Done

You should also upgrade your gpu but this way is cheaper than buying a whole new pc like you suggested.

9. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I have both but I prefer my triple setup. Even the immersion is a bit less compared to VR.
    As long as we don’t have the power to get the same resolution at 90fps I will play mostly via my triple screens, and occasionally in VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cesar Maranhao

Cesar Maranhao Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    care to elaborate a bit more? you say immersion is better in VR but prefer triple screens because of lack of gpu power for vr, is this what you mean?

11. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I like VR of its immersion. GFX wise it is a big step backwards. I do not have a problem with that but with my triple screen I have a great FOV, no VR set on my head (which is hot and not that comfortable) and awesome GFX.
    As said, when the VR is at the same quality (GFX wise) as the current screens with at least 90fps I would play more in VR indeed.
    Although I have to say that the last year I cannot play very long sessions in VR because my eyes getting very tired. That is the reason I bought my triple setup in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Cesar Maranhao

Cesar Maranhao Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your description, it is always good to hear from owners because I am interested in valve index. Regards

• Like Like x 1
  13. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I run triples with a 4th monitor, run NVidia surround triples are picked up as 1 screen and the 4th is picked up as number 2, you may have to go into windows set up though and activate the 4th screen as it may not be picked up, I used to have to run the 4th screen of the IGPU on the CPU but now with a driver update and some tweaking I run all 4 off the GPU, 3 display ports and 1 HDMI.

I had major problems using HDMI/DP adaptors so use the native connection if you can from GPU to monitor, on your set up just enable eyefinity and it should work.

[​IMG]

14. Cesar Maranhao

Cesar Maranhao Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hello Charger,

wow, very nice setup you have there!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Late to the party on this one. Just incase it helps anyone, if your graphics card doesn't have enough outputs you can get usb3 to hdmi display adapters that work quite well. You wouldn't want to game through it as there is a slight lag, but perfect for timing/telemetry screens etc.

16. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Nice tip. As I also have a Oculus occupying a HDMI port.

17. FedNotes

FedNotes New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all for your input.
    In the end I chose another solution.
    I kept my 3 screen setup, but I made it floating by using a big TV screen mount which is able to extend for almost 90 centimeters.
    The 3 screens are in a fixed 45° position so I can move them forward and backwards with 1 hand.
    Now I can easily switch between 'normal mode' to 'race mode'.
    With the screen completely pulled close to me, I have an almost 180° view, which is quite awesome!

I admit, it looks pretty 'prototype-ish', but I built it from scratch with no plans whatsoever.

Hope you like it!

grtz

Dennis

18. FedNotes

FedNotes New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Appearantly I need 4 posts or more to be able to post links.... So this is a dummy post... my apologies!

19. FedNotes

FedNotes New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0