VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Well, what I would suggest you first is that you try the settings Thomas and I've posted in first pages of this post. Believe us, although settings looks pretty low it will load your GPU but saving some CPU power that is the main limitation here. These settings were validated on 1080ti and 1080 with i7 4770k and 2700X both OC. Of course it would work even better on 3600 or i9 9900K.
    You can try the Open Composite dll as well it allows to bypass Steam VR and saves quite a lot of performance headroom.
    There is a DX9 performance thread in this forum where you could mesure and compare your CPU performance with dozens of systems and see where you stand.

2. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
  3. Kackvogel

Kackvogel New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey thank for your reply,
    A few post before I told that I tried the settings from post 1.

The problem is:
    CPU max thread usage ~40-70% so maybe it is a good value

GPU usage is low @20-30%
    GPU Clock = ~idle
    Memory clock = ~idle
    GPU Power = ~50-100w
    I tried different settings and my result is GPU don't get used and that's the reason is can't go over 45 fps. I tried everything from low to high with the same result.

Only -vr 1.0 is giving me 90 fps but also there no GPU usage.

4. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I missed your previous post then. Well SS is really hard on the CPU so it might be as simple as that, you have 4 cores so it trully could be the bottleneck as, unlike the DX9 thread, in VR you have the VR API to share CPU power with... What you could try is 1.2 SS with 4XAA it is what I was running on my former 4790K and what I still run with 2700X, above that I had a lot of trouble to keep as close to 90fps possible with my former GTX 1080. Try as well to increase RRE64.exe process priority to above normal to see if it improves frame time stability. When you tweak graphic settings, always do a dry run with the Steam VR frame time OSD it trully helps to understand how each settings are hamering your system. It could be slightly different than what we tried with Thomas as you have a VEGA GPU...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kackvogel

Kackvogel New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again for your reply and help.aybe this will help others too.

My summary:

1. CPU and GPU usages in RRR and vr is different as in other games.
    2. If I get 150+ fps on a Monitor (1080p) but rendering in 4k and DSR back to 1080p has nothing to do with vr performance. And capabilities of CPU
    3. Thought GPU bound Effekts are Killing cpu Performance and nothing gets up and the downcycle of fps starts.

Is there a list of witch Effekt gets to CPU and which is going to gpu?

Also is thought ss is completely GPU bound.

6. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    There is no such list but from what I tried I can tell you that shadows are really hard on overall performance, so does SS.
    I suggest you limit AA to 4X (8x hammers performance and tbh while driving is not that noticeable) Track details can be a big hit on some tracks, medium is a good balance between performance and immersion (low is distracting imo as it is really too empty) also shader quality to medium helps, maximum value isn't noticeable visualy in VR and cost frame time performance.

7. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    @Thomas Jansen

I always had severe performance issues when using SteamVR and thanks to your settings and using the modified compositor (which i didn't even know about), i was able to run a dtm 2016 race in vr with a full grid and without a hitch!

I always thought that Raceroom had some of the best racing for dedicated singleplayers like me and, finally, it's useable in vr (for me) :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Awesome to hear :D Good news is that it's not necessarily SteamVR having poor performance, but really the translation from steamVR to oculus. With my Index now I have about the same performance as opencomposite with native SteamVR!

• Like Like x 1
  9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ist it real, that a lower resolution on the monitor affects the performance of VR?

I think, I have seen that a the lowest game resolution on 5:4 makes a performance jump when coming from FullHD resolution.

Has anyone seen something like that?

If this is real, does someone notice a decrease of the VR screen quality?

10. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it was me who discovered that trick back in the day. The trick would lower the base resolution VR works with. So, lower resolution = higher performance. I don't know if still works today.

11. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ah, cool. Thank you!
    So I assume this reduces the quality, right?

12. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    In all menus and HUD it is quite noticeable. Don't go too low... I reverted back to 1080p as you'll probably increase SS to gain back depth of field "clarity" (we talk about VR.. clarity....)
    You loose more than you gain imo.

13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    OK, in menus I could see it. I'm the game... I don't think so.
    So there was my idea:
    To get best picture in a LCD or LED display is to choose the native resolution.

Is this something what we can to with math?

Eg 1080 * 720 * 1,3 SS to match the resolution?

You know, what I mean?

14. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I know exactly what you mean, and in the end you'll be pushing as much pixels. TBH I haven't done any performance mesurements to evaluate the results, but in game it was harder for me to read in car Motec display, so if you don't use it, no worries, if you do I hope your eyes are better than mine. That's why I got back to standard 1080p as base res.
    Now I haven't tested custom res like 1650x900p (with pentile displays it's never really native anyway so...

15. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So I have to get a look which resolution is native on my Oculus CV1 and I can write these to an ini file?
    Think I have to search which file it is.

16. doclucio

doclucio Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    hi thomas, i have the index too, and a 1080ti, can you share your sertings and give some tips for oprimization?!?
    is it normal i have lime 90% cpu and 30% gpu usage?!? what should i change?!?

17. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Really depends what your CPU is if that is normal, as explained in this thread VR in raceroom is very CPU bound, especially when you get an index with 144Hz refresh rate :D I still use exactly the settings as in the original post of this thread, only difference is that I turned off shadows, because I actually felt they looked a lot worse with the increased resolution vs the rift. Especially shadows from trees on nords flicker a lot which is very distracting, and since i spend most of my time there i turned them off. also helps a lot with the cpu bottleneck :p I can run 144Hz on any track on my own, which is how i spend most of my time driving anyway, for races i drop into reprojection a lot, but that is actually not that bad since it will still be rendering at 72 fps, a whole lot better than the 45 on the oculus

18. jamesleegte

jamesleegte New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I finally sussed out the issue and I’m so happy! The one element I could not change when launching in VR mode was the monitor resolution in video settings because it is always greyed out and had defaulted to my monitor specs of 2560x1440 144HZ. I launched in non VR mode, changed resolution down to 60HZ and hey presto the game runs beautifully all details on high, SS on 2.0 and most importantly I’ve been playing all morning and not one oculus crash or any juddering in the menu screens. Such a simple fix, gutted it’s taken me so long to work it out haha To be fair this is my first ever PC that I bought two months ago and all other sims were so easy to set up and similar to do so too.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. jamesleegte

jamesleegte New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I finally sussed out the issue and I’m so happy! The one element I could not change when launching in VR mode was the monitor resolution in video settings because it is always greyed out and had defaulted to my monitor specs of 2560x1440 144HZ. I launched in non VR mode, changed resolution down to 60HZ and hey presto the game runs beautifully all details on high, SS on 2.0 and most importantly I’ve been playing all morning and not one oculus crash or any juddering in the menu screens. Such a simple fix, gutted it’s taken me so long to work it out haha To be fair this is my first ever PC that I bought two months ago and all other sims were so easy to set up and similar to do so too.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. jamesleegte

jamesleegte New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

• Dislike Dislike x 1