Is the lift off steering in wtcr too much ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benoityip, Jul 31, 2019.

1. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I already lost my IRL FWD in a slow corner under rain, I was just testing the grip limit of this slow car (a small Renault Clio), doing wide circles on wet asphalt with new tires, and I just wasn't able to lose it while accelerating, but at the instant I decided to stop the test and released the throttle, the car immediately spun and I got totally surprised! :D The speed was around 40-50 km/h only... :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    No!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I don't drive these much but had a good run out in the Seat last night (I'm not calling it a cupra....) and I found it to be really good. Sure if you jump out of the throttle going into a corner it's gonna come around but drive progressively and it's very predictable. Definitely going to drive these a bit more.

As with any car, you have to work out how it wants to be driven, it's no good just applying the same technique to all cars. That's half the fun of SIM driving for me, learning new things.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Driving WTCR in Bathurst is scary. I have been crashing a lot in the long straight banking right where speed is 250km/h. No brake is involved in that corner. I cannot full throttle that corner now. I am still figuring the driving style for that corner so that I can flat out full throttle

5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean the slight right into the chase?

6. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Yes, please let me know how to drive that, I am on full throttle with no brakes and still spun out... Car is on maximum wing in wtcr2018

Edit Later: I fixed my driving style and it is no longer an issue

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I will try it when I get chance but I see no reason you can't go flat through there.

8. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Just did a few laps with the RS3 at Bathurst on default setup and had no problems at that right kink.
    What controller are you using and did you change from the default steering ratio?

• Like Like x 1
  9. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson
    My apology, I fixed my driving style and it is no longer an issue

• Like Like x 2
  10. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Good to read!

It would be useful for others if you explained here what exactly you are doing differently now. I'm sure somebody else could learn from your experiences.

11. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I might be wrong. This is my sharing

Bathurst is a circuit that is very challenging to drive fast. There are few challenging corners require trial braking carefully. For example, the braking at the very top of the mountain. My pb in Bathurst in a BMW try is 2:03.1, not too fast, not slow at all.

In wtcr, because the front of the car is more responsive now, the steering wheel is much more sensitive. Turning the wheel too much can upset rear of the car very easily. Trial braking is another challenging area. It now requires the wheel to be more straight to brake the car

All I need to is to turn the wheel less when entering some corners

12. RLeicht

RLeicht New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I'm very new to raceroom and played project cars 2 on xbox for a few months, but then put everything down for about a year. Finally decided to get my computer up and running and play some raceroom. This being said, I dont track cars but I do have a fwd car that I drive hard that has a ton of lift off oversteer, so going into this I knew what was possible and what could happen.

So I decided to get on brands hatch because I knew 2 of the corners would produce a lot of lift off oversteer, took a few laps to figure them out but then jumped on the leader board to try it out. Placed 13th, then jumped over to zandvoort, a track I have never drove before and placed 39. All with the default set up on the golf gti tcr.

Now I have been driving for a week and was doing this on the get real setting. It's all about driving habits and styles. If you are use to driving rwd vehicles then it's going to be harder to drive one. Just need to slow down and practice. If you are not driving the correct line for that type of car. It's going to be very tricky.

Hopefully this helped a little.

• Like Like x 2
  13. RLeicht

RLeicht New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So, after writing this I realized I had been driving the 2018 version so i bought the 2019. After 2 minutes of driving, I was able to adjust my driving and was staying on the track. Just need to have clean lines because the car is less forgiving. But like mentioned before. If you watch the races, the cars have a very loose rear end. Which can be used to your advantage once figured out.

Like on my fwd fiesta st, at first I thought the car sucked, but once I learned how to use the lift off over steer to my advantage. I became faster and the ride was a whole lot more fun.

14. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    The two years are on the same physics so the differences should be minor at best

15. RLeicht

RLeicht New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was suprises by the difference really. Did not think it would be so different

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There are no differences. The cars from both years are exactly the same.

17. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    It depends on the car. If we're talking about the Alfa Romeos, the 2019 version gained a decent bit of downforce over the 2018 version.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. RLeicht

RLeicht New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I noticed a difference. Did have a little more lift off oversteer. But very manageable, I'm slow and suck but I actually like it because my actual car has a ton of it.

19. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I remember the Honda being a little tricky due to lift off oversteer, so I didnt drive the WTCRs that much and, I took a month long break from R3E. Last night I ran a practice session in R3E with the 2019 Honda WTCR at Suzuka, and had an easier time with it. Of course it was after reading this thread, and getting some insight about how to drive the WTCRs in general. I took it easy at first, and didn't attempt to set any records.

I noticed what I was doing wrong with the car. I would try to counter oversteer by lightly breaking or easing up on the throttle. This tended to add more oversteer, so I got the majority of my breaking done before the corners. I still had to break hard and gradually ease off the breaks while rolling onto the throttle. This helped keep the rear planted, and surprisingly I was able to trail brake to a decent degree while doing this. It didn't work well on the sweepers, but for the tighter turns, this worked just fine.

After Suzuka, I tried the Hyundai at Portamao, and there I pushed the car a bit. I was surprised how I could use lift off oversteer to change the car's angle in a turn and I started to enjoy dragging the Hyundai's tail around the turns. These cars went from frustrating to fun, just from learning to manage the oversteer, and using it to my advantage. I can't wait until I have more free time today.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Puuuh...the Hyundai is killing me. If I survive the Schwedenkreuz, I fear the Adenauer Forst or Tiergarten on Nords. Damn...I must find a way out of this. Feel like Arnold in Running Man.

edit: Successfully managed to adjust my driving style. 3 rounds in a raw without trouble. Great great car!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019