Simracing E-Sports - Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Sep 15, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you like/follow Simracing E-Sports?

1. Yes - I follow a lot of races

13 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Neutral - sometimes, but not actively

30 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. No - I don't care at all

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    you can give your opinion on Simracing E-Sports above. :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    No - i don't care at all. But i don't mind it being part of sim racing as long as other simmers do enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. RLeicht

RLeicht New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't have cable tv here in the usa so e sports is really the only racing I get to watch since I can watch old streams, lol.

A lot of what i find online is blocked or not in English so esports is where it's at for me.

4. Pierre Hox

Pierre Hox New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I watch the esports WTCR races when I have nothing else to do on sundays :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. easy_kill_72

easy_kill_72 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I do more than simply care, I'm doing them ;)

• Like Like x 3
  6. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Once in a while I'll watch some races, but it's all a bunch of aliens and that makes it feel almost as distant from my level as real racing is, so I don't find it all that interesting to watch.

Raceroom esport races in particular I dislike to watch (sorry) becouse of the lack of proper damage. Often races turn into destruction derby sessions, with some drivers being way too agressive and bumping each other all over, without any serious immediate consequence, so it feels less like an esport and more like a public server race.

iRacing on the other end can be sometimes entertaining to watch, becouse the damage system gives the action a more "real" feel since you know that a bad decision can end someones race immediatly, and that forces drivers to be carefull and precise, instead of "bullying" each other out of the way.

Overall I would say that I'm neutral on the esports thing, however, when esports get in the way of physics and FFB updates... feelsbadman.jpeg :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Dont know whether the second or third option would be best for me :D
    As a driver only very few are good enough to compete at a level where you can actually win stuff and im not part of that group :D and if i just want organised races i can just as well join a league organised by some community (or end up doing public server races as i actually do for most of my racing :D). So as a driver esports have nothing to offer for me.
    As a viewer ive got more than enough real life racing to watch and to me the real thing will always be more exciting to watch than a simulation of it so really esports doesnt have anything to offer for me there either.
    That being said ill still watch a bit of the r3e races once in a while but i usually dont stick around for more than 10 or 15 minutes.
    So in theory im not interested at all but the description of neutral would still fit. Make of that what you want :D

I dont know what kinda racing youre into but blancpain, adac gt masters, vln, dtm and super formula are official on youtube and in english. Indycar was as well until this season but youll still find a couple guys uploading the races and most of them are available in english (had to watch a couple of races in spanish tho :D). Would be surprised if all of those were geo blocked in the states but who knows. Super gt is official and in english on motorsport.tv. If one wants to you can also find streams for f1, f2 and motogp although those probably arent exactly legal. Also know a site where you can watch all f1 sessions (and older races) on demand. Maybe some of those suggestions work in the states :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  8. RLeicht

RLeicht New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Nico, I have found a bunch of those. But for some reason they show up in my feed, but I'm not able to watch them. I'm guessing they are blocking them because I'm in the US, who knows.

9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I don't care at all, though I'm neutral on the existence of eSports in sim-racing. I'll occasionally watch a live stream of a race run by the community I'm in, or if it features people I know personally. But other than that, watching virtual cars just doesn't give me the same buzz as watching real cars.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Trickle

Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I tried it and do not feel entertained by R3E esports at all.
    Often the choice of cars is questionable (like only GTM18 cars without the other GTR3 vehicles, however, many cars from the real GTM18 are missing and even the cars represented in game are unbalanced making the aliens all crave for the best car which makes the car choice now absolutey boring (e.g. Mercedes and Audi this Meta season in GTR3) or the tracks do not bother me at all (e.g. basically all tracks designed by Tilke).

And I get even less interested when hearing, that certain long awaited features are pushed back further more because of that.

I do however enjoy community leagues like RRVLN, the multiple RRVGT series, VTM, etc. - and funny enough they are usually affected by physic changes and have to and actually can cope with it.

I really wish we would get the completion of certain grids (GTM, GT4) or new grids (STW 95-99, BTCC) instead of new vacuum cleaners not even really capable of racing a full track length on the Nordschleife including an outlap and being hyped for more than half a year out of no reason....and even affecting the other cars (status "fuel or battery low" ... wtf shall I change the battery on my 190E now or what? Is the alternator broken?)

but that is my opinion and I do like to read all the others here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marcos Gil

Marcos Gil Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I don't care!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    There are 2 things I need to clarify here:
    - Esports may cause delays for patches, but it is fundamental in the concept of RaceRoom and in the current simracing ecosystem. What do you want - delayed patches or no patches?
    - In Esports races you will always see less variety in car choice and strategy BECAUSE it attracts the most competitive drivers, that optimize everything, and that will do everything to win. Competition is the basic concept of Esports.
    If you do not like that, then you have every reason to click option 2 :) But it's something we cannot change, and do not want to change either. There are many awesome communities who offer exactly this more laid-back racing with large variety, also on RaceRoom and I really recommend to drive there and enjoy their streams! We also try to implement it a bit, with lower server races + the special events. But let's be clear, Division 1 will always be Heinemann vs. Keithley with a bit of panel bashing, cause they are 2 of the most competitive drivers that push themselves the hardest to do the fastest times.

I am very open to constructive criticism though, such as about the damage model usage, and also about the formats and productions. We can't change everything of course, our possibilities are limited too. But it's good to also get feedback outside of the bubble that we all kinda live in.
    In the end, Esports is here to stay, regardless of the outcome of this poll. So the best we can do is just make it more enjoyable for everyone.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Trickle

Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    well.. look at the current AvD event today, not immediately interacting on-site during unsporty incidients. And you tend to look away for so long now (cf Mercedes Challenges 2 years ago) which make esports even more a farce. So no, sorry.

Still a "no" for R3E esports from me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  14. Robert Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    This is constructive criticism for me, but I am not sure if it's really a solution.

So far we have been using the rule that drivers have to file a report in order for a scene to be investigated, and all reports will be performed after the race.
    Therefore, the disadvantaged driver has the decision if he wants a report or not.

If you want to use live stewards, you have to use at least 2 stewards on-site during the event and each online race, who watch the race on several camera angles, use several computers which they can quit the race from, to access the replay.
    And a teamspeak setup at events to communicate the penalties to the drivers.

Or we can of course push resources for live replays and live penalties, for live stewarding.
    This would mean.. more delays of other features. :)

About Heinemann, he was DQ in Esports WTCR event and in GT Masters championship. I can understand it that it's not a nice viewer experience if he goes aggressively, but you can also be sure that we will also take hard decision, if it is within the rules of the competition. But we have to stay neutral with the decisions too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Trickle

Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    But still it is one of my personal key factors to more and more abandon and very much dislike your esport events more and more.

Anyway, thank you for clarifying your point of view.

16. Robert Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    (Replying to a post that apparently since has been deleted)
    I think the word "questionable" fits it quite well, a lot of unfair moves kinda dip into that grey area where a penalty is justified but certainly no ban. Not talking about anyone in particular - there are other drivers too that fit that theme.

I believe that overall, more or less, the report system regulates itself. Aggressive drivers have a reputation of being aggressive, get reported more often and therefore receive more penalties than drivers who just make a mistake.

If we make an example of someone and react overly harsh, we have to follow each incident with the same severity which in the longrun can lead to a flood of penalties and bans which completely rules out exciting battles and creates a lot more conflict, mistrust and unfair behaviour on the grid. Trust me, I have raced in way over 500 community and esports races myself and seen it happen more than enough.

Someone mentioned iRacing before. In some aspects they are doing a fantastic job, with the scheduled race system, broadcast quality and I think the incident strike system and damage models, whilst still far from perfect, offer also some benefits. I think especially in terms of damage S3 has got something cooking. But at the same time, our series are hard racing series like WTCR or GT Masters, and I also personally believe in a not-too-strict approach, so at least as long as I do it, I won't completely turn it on its head in RaceRoom Esports.

We are talking about Esports in the finest details here! It is kinda interesting, isn't it? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nikita Shaposhnik

Nikita Shaposhnik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was a competitor today at AvD. To me esports gives sometimes events like today's, some times when I was younger even prizes. But I don't think simracing would ever be true esports. Why people would watch it if it merely simulates the reality, why not watch a real thing then?

It exists mostly because of support from real racing manufacturers. Maybe it has some future as a training ground for racers instead of karting.

But to be a real esports, so to be watched not by some fellow simracers or just random ppl that come by and go in 15 mins, it definitely should be different to reality. Maybe introduce some nitros, shooting at each other or I don't know. As of now, trackmania or NFS could be real esports unlike simracing

But of course I'm happy that people are organizing this for a time being, and I don't really know how to organize better, neither I suggest to stop running it. I don't know, maybe the term 'esports' cringes me a bit, as it's not really a esport, though maybe presenting it in this light helps to strike deals with Mercedes etc.

18. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Always a pleasure to read your encouraging and sensitive words.;)

19. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Why don't you use a dedicated eSports branch of Raceroom for eSports? You already have the beta branch so another one shouldn't be that problem.
    This way you can push patches to the public without interfering with eSports. The eSports branch would then receive the updates later when they don't have an active competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea, but in general it is mostly for the better among us.
    What is behind it is now often forgotten.
    It is of course not interesting enough to start creating multiple divisions, just like, for example, football for those who enjoy competitive driving but don't have the ability to be really fast.