Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear @2ndLastJedi I'm also pretty heavily invested into the Fanatec ecosystem, so when I hear these stories about product defects, it always makes me nervous. So far, my kit has been pretty bullet-proof though, even my Mclaren rim :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't worry about product defects, they have really good products, i feel they just tried to make that McLaren rim too cheap (strange a big name like McLaren was the product) and even if there is a issue they will do whatever they can to help.

3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well you are lucky then, my Mclaren rim is back as well. Also a refund. 3x defect. I bought a shifter instead and now saving some money for a nice rim replacement. The shifter is Also replaced once because of shifting problems.
    I still love Fanatec gear. I guess I just had bad luck with two bad products.
    The After-sales from Fanatec is extremely good. I must mentioned this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I had some similar probs with the much cheaper P1 standard wheel for CSL Elite (xbox) : It broke 2 times at the weakest point which is a much too small screw on the backside right behind the paddles but Fanatec two times sent a replacement without any comment or hesitation . I decided to get the Universal Hub with the R300 Rim than and DUDE! what a difference in quality...Compared to the Hub, the P1 felt more like some worn out Logitech stuff in the end - I really was worried that the Base might be broken :D... Literally anything changed : The precision, feedback, solidness while moving that wheel - its a dream ..Well anything else would have been disappointing but that there's such a difference, wow, 100% satisfied so far ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I believe that. I stil have the standard wheel that came with the CSW. I would love to buy another rim but got a bit worried about the quality after my McLaren GT3 Rim problems.

6. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec is definetly a yes and no for me.
    They are better than Logitech and Thrustmaster. There are sitting guys like us, who has fun in Simracing and know, what they want and what they are doing. If there is something broken, they will repair it in a very small amount of time and often you don't have to pay for it.

But: As cool and fanat(e)ic as they are in Landshut, it becomes worser when you see the product quality. It's a big hit and miss there. Often you can see a design error and you know, it's killed by the costs. In Landshut they want, but at the factory they don't (because fanatec wants to earn more money(?))
    So there are many complaints about fanatec over the www.

From Fanatec I have:
    - CSL Wheel base
    - P1 Elite Wheel
    - CSL Loadcell Pedals
    - DD1

After a few days I've received a new (no, it wasn't new, grrrr...) rim, because mine was broken on a screw. After 11 Month I get a new sensor for the throttle pedal, after 24 month I got a new sensor again.

I paid nothing, service was very good, nothing to moan about. But: Best service is the service you don't need and so I have many headaches because of my DD1 (which runs good for now....for now!)

7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well in the whole economic sector, specially in the entertainment business which still generates billions of bucks you primarly can thank the big bosses who at most blindly follow their more or less cultish/ esoteric believes in the Neocon (-Snowball) system and the so-called "Free Market" that miraculously regulates all (=My Ass, for the last 25 Years you can see what "self-regulation" means in this context). Pretty sure that many employees like Dom are dedicated Sim- /Game Nerds who also want the best possible stuff available but the main agenda up in the herarchy is about hire and fire and/or fire and forget in terms of making money. Not to talk about the workers who have to assemble that stuff under questionable conditions (= "Outsourcing" another Brainwash-Term to sell more crap cheaply :) ) And as long this is considered "normal" we , the consumers have to deal with it, mostly for the worse.....:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  8. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Oh really, I would never have expected so much change! CSL owner, I was just starting to consider a wheel upgrade for the future, but I might make the jump earlier than expected then.
    I'm considering BMW GT2 or Podium R300 wheels... But I might finally choose the Podium https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/podium-steering-wheel-r300-1258.html, lighter for my base, and kind of all in one ring that will fulfill all my needs for long. My only concern would be the Advanced Paddle Module included, never heard about it. Anyone having some experience with those paddles, is it robust and worth it?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  9. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    The BMW rim is a nicely made rim, but it's just to heavy for the standard base's it's the only reason I got rid of mine it numbed the ffb, I do like the R300 even more so because it's a 300mm, but the gold stitching and center line should of been white or yellow in my opinion.

10. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    My big complaint with Fanatec is that I can't order parts of the web site when I need them. I tried for 3 days to order a replacement for the funky switch and I still can't get one. The first try was asking for a price from sales. They told me to deal with support. Support replied it was part of the circuit board, but they still never gave me a price or any way to order it. Instead I was told to make a video to prove I had a problem or ship it to Germany from the USA. ( I never asked for anything free and I was clear that I would pay for the parts I needed).
    They were correct that it was soldered to a board, as that was clear when I opened it up. After cleaning the switch with electrical contact cleaner and putting it back together I have it working 70% of the time. I gave up and ordered a new F1 e-sport rim from Fanatec USA. Luckily I had some money saved to buy a Podium DD2 in the winter, so I was going to give to Fanatec sooner or later. Now I have to start looking for other brands of DD wheel bases that I can get parts for when needed. I have no Idea where to start looking , as I have used Fanatec wheels since 1998.

11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Why didn't you just make the video and see what they could do to help? Maybe after they saw the problem they mat have a workable solution.

12. Cesar Maranhao

Cesar Maranhao Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    has anyone tried fanated lab with raceroom? its a new software in beta atm.

13. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    On my CSWv2 it broke rF2 so I uninstalled it and didn't test on other Sims. I theory it looks good but as it's beta (as are all their drivers, lol) it should improve.

14. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Works fine with the Podium DD1 (R3E, ACC, rF2)
    nice addition if you want to make profiles or bigger changes on multiple settings.

15. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Anyone understand the dynamic Damping thing?

16. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    speed threshold = at which point the effect kicks in
    damper effect range = effected steering range (I believe)
    damper effect strength = overall strength

at 25 seconds you see what it does

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cesar Maranhao

Cesar Maranhao Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I will wait a bit more then to see if they clear the bugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Screenshot - 28_09.jpg
    @DomB will this module also work with a Xbox Uni Hub or do you need the Podium Hub for that beauty?
    can you tell us if there will be different versions or sizes? :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  19. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    The modual would be nice but I just want the rim! Hurry up and give us more info :)

20. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    It works with the UHX, we showed it in both configurations at the Expo this year.

[edit] I just realised I didn't answer your second question! The Podium Button Module Endurance will only be available in one size. It is suitable for the upcoming 320mm Porsche rims (suede and leather) and the 300mm R300 rim. However there will be other module designs in the future.

Unfortunately I have no further info I can give you at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019