please guys do not change your graphic engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doclucio, Sep 28, 2019.

1. doclucio

doclucio Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    as i said...please do not change it, i use vr and is wonderfull, don't do the same mistake of other guys using ue4...
    hope that with some effort you could implement night and rain conditions, like modders did with AC.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I hope they switch to DX11 (or higher) someday, the VR experience is average at the utmost.
    Loving their content and I wish I could enjoy it without stutters.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Given that I and others are enjoying it without stutters, I'm not sure your problem is a direct result of the game engine currently used. The one time I did end up with stuttering, it was in fact SteamVR causing the problem.

Anyway, I also would prefer that S3 not change the engine but it has to happen sometime. I really don't care about pixel crack and never have, but a lot of people do. They see "DX9" and immediately assume a game is outdated and crap, not worth buying. To stay current and relevant in the sim market, and therefore profitable, sooner or later R3E will need to move to the current "standard" to appease such people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I definitely don't want them to go UE4 after seeing what a mess ACC is, but i think it's time for an upgrade. I'd be in favor of a color palette update more than anything else. You can run sweetfx and eliminate some of that blue-ish haze and it looks miles better, but the frame rate penalty on triples is too high for me. Perhaps some tweaks of the color would help.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I am pretty sure Sector 3 won't go with UE4. Moving to better engine will happen at some point. I am fine with the current one and have no issues. It will be interesting to see how Automobilista 2 is going to look and perform in Madness engine? If all good, this could be the next step forward for RR. Lets see what happens

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    As I've seen this mentioned a couple times again, I want to point out that there is a little workaround that allows you to change the look of the game a bit without having to apply 3rd party postprocessing.
    Sadly this isn't an in-game option yet, but there are 4 different lighting moods you can apply. Here's what they look like (all screenshots take with the same graphics settings, daytime set to noon):

default.jpg
    Realistic
    realistic.jpg
    Standard Day
    standard_day.jpg
    XProc
    xproc.jpg
    In order to change the mood from default to any other preset, navigate to your Steam installation folder, default is this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\Shaders\dx9\fx\moods

Inside the moods folder you'll find 4 files representing the 4 moods above.
    upload_2019-9-30_14-38-31.png
    To change the mood from default to another you have to rename the according file to 'default.mood' and change the name of default.mood to the name of the mood you want to use.
    For example: You want to use standard day, so you have to rename 'standard_day.mood' to 'default.mood' and 'default.mood' to 'standard_day.mood'.

Note that the game will reset these changes every time it gets updated, so you either have to make that switch after each update, or you make the switch and then create a backup of the moods folder which you copy & paste back in place after a game update.

Maybe one of those other moods suits you better, I think standard day looks a bit more vibrant and less blue-ish than default, but personally I prefer the look of the realistic mood.

• Informative Informative x 15
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  7. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I hope they will switch for a Vulcan based engine and add rain, night,multiple lights and....all the other stuff like animated pits and marshalls...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    I hope S3 will switch for something different. Recently my PC has caught the slideshow virus too.
    I'm not gonna make any efforts when being able to drive something different like AC, ACC, rf2, AMS, F1, Dirt Rally, WRC, Wreckfest, FIA Truck Racing, PC2 or even ATS/ETS without. So RR will fall into stasis.
    Hope some day a prince will come and share some kisses, to wake up this sleeping beauty again.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  9. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I've played a hell of a lot more RaceRoom (and for the last 2 years in VR), but I also really like ACC.
    The RaceRoom engine is much clearer in VR of course, it's not trying to render all the stuff that ACC is, but even on the lowest possible settings, I still believe that ACC looks and plays great.

In fact I think the two games compliment each other quite well. Plus I think it's good for us to try to support two smaller developers who are trying hard to give us what we want.

10. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Tha
    Thanks for the info. Does this switch to different moods have any effect on FOV or any settings like video, controls, ffb settings etc...?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

Where's that Day/night one?

12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Not to my knowledge. These are really just presets of lighting and colour settings, so I'm pretty sure this doesn't have any impact on the game's performance in any department.

Because it also falls in the 'visuals' category, might as well add this post describing how to change the brightness and contrast setting here, in case anybody missed it in that other thread: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...-brightness-and-saturation.13727/#post-186857

• Like Like x 3
  13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    My installation and hardware is two years old, has not changed in this time, and runs RR in VR as crispy and smooth as ever. Cannot ask for anything better in frames and looks in VR. Very good VR experience.

A vital need for a new graphics engine I do not see, from a visuals POV. ACC showed that more visual detail and stuff to look at in VR nevertheless can provide unwanted problems. It has weather and night and dynamic lights, yes - still in VR AC1 is the better looking-at experience . Raceroom hopefully does not step into that trap, too, if migrating to another graphics engine, becasue that new Raceroom will not exist parallel to the old one, but will replace it and players having no option to go back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    But if you check hardware utilization during gameplay, the GPU literally gets bored, because (I assume) it has to wait for the CPU all the time. These current GPUs are not getting utilized properly, the CPU is the bottleneck. If S3 wants to progress further with dynamic weather and day/night cycles, which would obviously require even more computing power, the change to a more modern API is inevitable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    :eek: WOW! I am impressed. The game visuals are FANTASTIC in "realistic" mood. Its worth it!!!!!

Many thanks for sharing the info.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    There are things you can do with the CV1 it was explained by Thomas Jansen in VR Performance Tweaks & Tips thread and you can automate it a bit like I described in my post https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...formance-tweaks-tips.13068/page-3#post-178056

BTW the graphics settings I decribe was used with 2700X and 1080, not the current hardware I have. Test it as is and go from there.

Just mind the Oculus SS setting is much lower than the Steam VR SS value for similar result (1.4 in Oculus is roughly 200% in Steam VR) and SS is a CPU hog...

With this VR library you entirely bypass Steam VR, Oculus passthrough, save ressources on your PC and it allowed me to crank up the details a bit and it is much smoother.

17. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your answer, Sebastien. However, I already tried those settings and the bypassing of Steam VR and as it indeed gives better results the performance is still not as good as for example VR in Assetto Corsa or Iracing and that’s solely down to DX9. It’s just not made for VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I can't disagree strongly enough with the approach of "please don't change the engine".
    I would agree firstly, that for DX9, Raceroom runs incredibly well in VR and all credit to the team for what they have achieved.
    But, and it is a big but, everyone else has moved on.
    Rf2, iRacing, AC (albeit with 3rd party), ACC, PC2 and soon AMS2 all have day/night cycle. All apart from iracing have variable weather.
    Raceroom is already behind the pack right now, let alone in a years time.

Graphics engine ports are huge tasks, and i would hope it's already being dealt with by the dev team, as it would be months and months before we saw anything even if they announced a change now.

Raceroom is such a great sim, but it will lose ground and players unless it provides the things other sims can.

• Agree Agree x 8
  19. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    All these "don't change engine" requests seem to really mean "please keep frame rate and quality equal or better for VR" ;)

Fully agree with @TheMattyOnline if you fall behind too much, it's just not contemporary anymore (despite the other qualities). You loose out on new clients which are needed for growth, old ones will go, and content creation around old tech will mean developers won't grow in their skills/ or one is not able to attract new talent.

In the end this is a decision by raceroom and not s3s, however. So we can cry all we want :(

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Vantskruv

Vantskruv Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My guess is that R3E will be upgraded to the UE engine sooner or later (they are still searching for devs with UE experience), and I am looking forward for it. It is dangerous to stay behind with the current competition from other sims.

The flaw here is that Sector3 will need new expertise in the company that know the inner workings of the Unreal engine, to be able to optimize it in their own end and willing. Performance issues, or other bugs may arise, if the team is updating the engine from the source, where which only the Unreal engine developers know how to fix. I think that was the problem with ACC ( I have found threads where other devs had some performance issues with a certain versions of UE in VR).
    If Sector3 have their own experts, they may not need to update the Unreal engine, instead they would be able to update it themselfes for their own needs, having more control of the game. I am not sure if it easy to find that type of experts, and what Sector3:s strategy is for maintaining the engine. I am also not certain how well they know they current engine for that matter. :rolleyes:

Also, still I prefer racing in front of a monitor compared to VR.