AI Driver Names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frazz1e, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Frazz1e

Frazz1e New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate editing AI driver names is probably not happening because of license agreements etc, but does that also extend to moving drivers to other cars?.

It would be nice if you could choose a AI car and then select which AI driver you wanted in the car, rather than having them all tied to specific cars.

One of the things I love in Assetto Corsa is the ability to edit AI names and create championships around familiar drivers, it adds so much more personality to the races. I'm familiar with about a dozen or so drivers in Raceroom, so it would be nice to be able to create a championship around those specific drivers.

I realize I'm probably blowing in the wind (or words to that effect), but you don't ask, you don't get.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Frazz1e

being able to edit AI driver names is a recurring request and it's certainly on the pile of features we'd love to have. As you pointed out yourself, there are classes which replicate a real life racing series, like WTCR for example, and in these cases cars, teams and drivers are a set combination so I think everyone understands that the teams and drivers do not want their affiliations mixed.

However, for fantasy classes like all the Formula cars or classic cars for example this shouldn't be an issue. So the devs are aware of the request. It's a big 'maybe' at this point but if time ever allows for it, I'm sure they will look into this request.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frazz1e

Frazz1e New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, for the reply. It does make me wonder whether developers would be better off just acquiring the car licenses and creating their own generic racing game instead.

Just look at the amount of modded cars and tracks that people race with every day in AC & Rfactor, no branded racing series just fun generic races. At least then developers are free to make the game they want with no compromises, although I'm guessing even the car licenses also come with strings attached.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Not much to add here. ;)

It's one thing to do whatever you want if you're a modder who doesn't want or need any positive relationship with manufacturers, teams, drivers, sponsors, sanctioning bodies. But if you want to offer something special to your audience like officially licensed series (which are probably the most requested "feature"), you can't do that. This is a business after all, so the principle of quid pro quo applies, just as it does in any other business relation as I'm sure we all know from our own professional experiences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    If we can only see the own driver names on the plates inside the car, I would really love this feature.
    Think of a league stream or E sports event where you can read the drivers name in the car.
    Wow!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Or at the Side Windows...
    Would love to see it!

Greetings

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Race07 was great for this, I used to spend ages making in car plates and windscreen banners etc for our league. Good times.

• Like Like x 2
  8. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hoping to get this back. Seems to be low hanging fruits for them :)

@Olaf Hülse oh yes, fantastic idea.