AI Behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frost, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Which would you say is better to train, race pace or qualifying pace?

2. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Race pace; enables you to be more consistent with less off track moments which can stuff up your lap average.

3. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Definitely race-pace.
    (Although in my case the difference between the two is negligible.)

Here's why:
    The AAI pits your average lap against the AIs fastest laps. But the AI isn't going to run its fastest laps every single lap.
    There'll be the odd incident, traffic in the way etc.
    The player on the other hand, is much more likely to be consistent. Which means you're likely to qualify somewhere mid-pack, and then have the ability to move up through the field giving you something to fight for every moment of the race.
    With a properly 'tuned' AAI, I usually end up around P5-6. Podiums are possible, but man you have to fight for those.

4. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    To train for race pace would be running races at the back on the pack with no qualifying enabled right?

5. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    In the beginning, yes.
    Once you get some combos into the index-file, it'll start pretty close to the right level, and you can simply do some short races as you normally would.

6. GearGrinder

GearGrinder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    There is something wrong with the AI raceline at Salzburgring. They break too late for first chicane and eat barrels every lap.

7. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    The devs already know.
    It's being looked at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I win a lot of races because of that or half the field of cars retire :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    any chance you can list the classes that this is happening to you in , including the track combos and distances , so as an example ,
    gt2/imola/30min race

thanks in advance

Andi

10. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    just curious... why is the race disatnce relevant?

11. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    the ai could have the wrong info, for fuel use for example , it has a 30 min race which it needs 15 laps of fuel , the ai is told its 2ltrs a lap when in fact it needs 2.2 so it dnfs ;
    this is one of many reasons that may be why but im just trying to cover all of the bases
    its hard to catch every ai dnf bug in testing with all the tracks and car classes and variable race distances etc
    im not saying that it is fuel related it may be something very different

Andi

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    thx for quick reply. I always drive withput fuel consumption. HUD shows me that I have 50 litres on borad, so I assume AI does have 50 litres as well.

13. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    This definitely happens in WTCR2018/Macau/30 min race (AI@111%). 8 AI finishers out of 25. Most crashed at Melko hairpin, according to Crew Chief.
    Also in GTR3/Monza/45 min, AI@110%, the AI crashed a lot racing each other at della Roggia and Ascari. Made up 13 places in race 1 and 11 in race 2 without the pace to justify it. On the other hand, WTCR's AI used to be too quick at Parabolica, but now seems OK.

14. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Last time I ran a race at that track ( Salzburgring ) was with indy car or FR.US with 30 lap set up. And they crash a lot where gear grinder mentioned at the first chicane

15. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That was a really brash response. Basically, you're saying get over it and race, or don't play the game.This, from a moderator. So, don't make legitimate racing moves and use proven race craft because the AI will wreck you? Adapt to bad AI? You sound like an arcade racer. Having said that, the AI in this game has been bad for years. This has not changed. And with moderators telling people to go play tiddly winks, mayhap it never will. Gonna look into TW, I guess.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    That's not what he said. He just gives you a good piece of advice to learn to enjoy this game.
    The key point to enjoy the ai is to leave them enough room when they are fighting you. I use a virtual mirror and Crew Chief so i always know when someone is attacking me.

When i started with R3E (early 2017) i didn't enjoy the ai. Coming from AC, the ai was too aggressive for me and i couldn't cope with it. But i followed the advice i saw here on this forum and starting to adapt to their behaviour.
    After some practise and some more practise i started to like the ai in this game. Now at this moment i think it's the best ai i've ever experienced in any race game. It's never a boring race, there's always something happening, ai fighting you, ai fighting other ai, ai making mistakes,...
    It's the same in real life. If you are a real racing driver, you have to adapt to the other racing drivers.
    I don't know if you ever watched real life racing series like BTCC, WTCR, Blancpain GT,... If you are a new racing driver in one of those series, you don't ask the other drivers to adapt to you. You have to adapt to them.

And like many people already said, most of the current ai problems are known and the devs are looking for solutions.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Whether we like it or not, we will always have to adapt to an AI's logic and peculiarities, just like you have to adapt to the other drivers around you when you go up against real people on a real circuit.

The best advice for driving against any AI is to treat them as real drivers, i.e. don't brake check them, don't cross their paths mid-turn, don't try to stick your nose in one inch and expect them to just give up, don't use them as the final stage of your braking maneuver, don't pass a whole bunch of them going really slow (usually there is a reason for them doing that) and so on.

We've acknowledged the general issues we are seeing recently and also explained that the biggest part of these issues stems from the very fundamental physics changes the devs have been implementing during the past months. The AI in it's previous form simply wasn't up to that task. But these issues are being tackled on all involved fronts as we speak and the team is making good progress.

• Like Like x 4
  18. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ...unlike most other sims

That's why I love R4E AI, most other sims you can simply stick your nose in or stick to the racing line and the ai never pass you but in R3E they will find a way around you and make you work

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Frost

Frost Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Since I originally posted this, with the latest patch and upgrades from Sector 3. I have to say the Ai are much improved, not perfect, but they are improved to the point I have had some really good races. I've been running a FR90 Championship, with 101% Ai, Fuel: X 2 and Tire Wear: X 2, 25 Laps.

It's been a lot of fun, the races are tight and hard fought. With the tire wear and fuel consumption, I was breaking my race down into either 1 stop or 2 stop pit stops, getting tires and fuel accordingly. What I couldn't figure out was how, at the start of the race I was bit faster, and how the Ai always seems to make up huge amounts of time in the pits. And what I found, after going back and watching a replay of a race, is the Ai were starting the race with all of their fuel and only changing tires in the pit stops.

What's crazy, is at the end of the race, usually 3 of us were there fighting it out in the closing laps. It's been really difficult to figure out when they are going to pit and what their strategy is. I've had to kind of figure out what the tires will do and then go with that strategy, and then wait for them to pit. And then adjust my fueling so not to lose time in the pits, because fueling will kill you in the pits.

I have had some very close side by side racing, that was incredible. And then other times while leading, for instance in one race I came upon a car that had spun and it was a back marker, which then went on to fight me tooth and nail when I was leading. There is still a tendency for the Ai, to try to swipe across your rear end and try to spin you on some passes. And they will turn down into you if you try a very late pass at the apex.

But I would say, all in all, the Ai are much improved, their braking seems more realistic and with Crew Chief I have not been wrecked in this Championship so far and I am 6 race into it. The racing in the FR90 has been the best Simracing I've done of any Sim in recent memory, I have not felt a need or want to change the difficulty at all. Some races I am competitive and others I am struggling to be mid pack, which to me is very realistic and how it goes sometimes in racing.

I have not had to adapt to the Ai, the Ai have gotten better, I've been absolutely addicted to the FR90 running a couple of races a day and testing like crazy to figure out how to setup the car. Loving the V10.

20. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I have a problem with AI wise is that sometimes their awareness is questionable. I have noticed some instances where I'm going into a corner and get bumped and spun out as they are attempting to overtake. I'm not sure if the ai is designed to change its mind so to speak to avoid causing an incident. As example both you and Ai are coming into a right hand corner and seeing there might be a bit of room but then that space closes up to back off. I could be wrong and probably still just need to focus on them. I use crew chief which helps a lot. Sense using that I have ended up in less incidents. But as mentioned many other times in other threads its not going to be perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1