AI Behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frost, Sep 16, 2019.

1. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    The AI in its current shape has a bit of a problem with front-corner awareness, that's probably what you've been experiencing.
    Side-by-side you're fine, but move into a 45 degree cone, and the AI occasionally decides you no longer exists. :D
    It's (AFAIK) being worked on, and once you're aware of the problem, it's relatively easy to avoid.

Oh, and for those who use CC for a spotter, might I suggest taking a look at the Otter HUD?
    It doesn't have a spotter, but it does bring a radar (not unlike ACs HeliCorsa app).
    Brilliant little thing, and I've stopped using CC atogether since I was only really interested in the spotter.

2. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I agree, with the fueling aspect. It seems to take an eternity getting fuel. IRL they do everything at the same time. In raceroom when pitting..ive noticed that it will fuel up first then change which ever tires you want.

3. Frost

Frost Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    What you mention makes total sense, it does seem to be that the Ai looses awareness. It has improved though, since the last update, I have had instances where I battled the Ai through several corners, often side by side and it's been awesome. We've also banged tires a couple of times, but no wrecks in 5 or 6 races.

Because I am having to pit 1 or 2 times a race, CC is a must have for me. He tells me the gaps to the other racers, and also when the pit, which allows me to formulate my pit strategy. I tried to download Otter Hud and had a error every time.

4. Frost

Frost Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Man it takes forever, 1st race of my championship, I was very loose with how much fuel I would add thinking it wouldn't be that big a deal. Then sitting in the pits, to my horror I was watching each gallon being added at 1 gallon per second. It may be faster, but it sure seems that slow.

The Ai start with all their fuel, I start with exactly how much I need till the next stop for tires. It makes me considerably faster than the Ai, but I have to pay attention because they can under cut me eventually if I back off in a stint. It's happened, by the end of the race we are all very close, despite having been on different strategies and a few times I got it wrong. It's nerve wracking and very difficult to work out the fuel needed while racing, so difficult to do the math while driving.

5. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Frost Don't you use CC to calculate fuel? You can ask him how much you will need for X number of minutes.

6. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I had just finished a championship with Indy cars. And I always started out with max fuel. There is an app I downloaded a while back. It’s called RS Dash but there are other here on the forums others have made that have way more detail that the app I have. But I keeps track of your fuel usage per lap and then just have to do the math to calculate how much you would need for x amount of laps or mins. Chew chief can do that for you too.

7. Frost

Frost Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have not used the voice part of CC, but ordered a plug splitter for my Headset/Mic so I can. I typically think in terms of laps instead of minutes though.

8. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    If you ask CC for fuel for x amount of laps, it also works. It's a very cunning software, really increases immersion for me.

9. Frost

Frost Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I do like CC, just have not completely integrated myself with all it's features. It is a must have for my 25 Lap Championship races, I typically have a completely different race strategy than the Ai. And the information on who's pitting and who's behind and what the Gap is imperative to a successful race.

With X 2 Fuel and X 2 Tire Wear, we ( me and the Ai) have amazingly all ended up close at the end of 25 laps.

10. SpeedRacerX

SpeedRacerX New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was just thinking the same thing, this doesn’t make for a balanced race. Even if the aggression never goes down, take the tire ai grip down. I’m racing x90 and it’s like all the ai have traction control on. Lol , I race on 100-110

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  11. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Looks like the AI doesn't currently love Macau :D
    10laps, WTCR 2019, 106 difficulty :D
    20191102181825_1.jpg 20191102181830_1.jpg 20191102181835_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, nobody likes Macau. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I had the same experience myself just yesterday with WTCR 19 at Macau.

17 DNFs, 10 laps. AI=103. Crew Chief: "[INSERT DRIVER NAME] has binned it at Turn 21" over and over again.

The main problem is the AI often can't get around the hairpin and destroy their car trying (and they also destroy my race when I come up behind them).

They also hit the wall at Lisboa a little too often (just like me I must say :cool::D).

I like seeing AI mistakes but just about every car making the same mistake on every lap... not so much :(

I know this is being worked on - so I have fingers and toes crossed for a fix with the fabled December ultra-mega-super-all-our-dreams-come-true update :);):p:rolleyes:

By the way the FRJs are an absolute blast around Macau :eek::D:eek::D

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Had you posted that a week ago I would have given you a couple of likes and several agrees, but last weekend I decided to sit myself down and learn the track and not rage quit (as I've done so often before) until I've got it.

Using the FRJs I knocked 13 seconds (I know!!) off my previous best time and learnt to LOVE this track in the process.

Every corner is different and a tremendous challenge - super fast to super slow. It's gone from being my least loved... well... hated track to perhaps second favourite after my beloved Bathurst.

So I was very disappointed when I switched from FRJ to WTCR 19 to find the WTCRs couldn't do it... resulting in a DNF fest...

(The FRJs are annoyingly slow around the hairpin as well but they generally keep going... be nice to have a fix for that as well...;):p)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  15. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    So.....
    Voluntarily doing something I don't enjoy, involving a lot of pain and misery......
    Pass.
    I get enough of that in my daily life. :D

Just never been a fan of street-circuits in general. Too much time spent following the car in front because there's simply no space to overtake. It's like playing a soccer-match on a tennis-court.
    And when it comes to Macau, considering the horrendous accidents they've had there, I'm amazed they're even allowed to host races in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say you should do it. I just said I did it...:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Same here. VLN with 100 cars. I get hits from behind regularly. Bit frustrating, as I either do not behave different nor driving slow. I'm driving the Hyundai TCR, ai in 105% and a grid of GT3, GT4, Cayman, M235i, TTRS, WTCR 19, WTCC 13, Porsche Cups.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  18. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    So, what do you think about AI after december patch? Very clean driving but still a lot of attacking and defensive manouers from them imo. On the other side, there is a lot of inconsistency of the track sectors - for example in Road America they are very, very slow at Carousel (I try it on the different levels and still same, it looks like they stop race). Zandvoort same - last turn before finish straight, they slow down and finally not able to take good exit speed for straight. Do you have similar experience?

19. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    yes there are certain corners where they slow down abnormally. I saw it on the Nordchleife

20. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Same in the Spa - they are slow on Blanchimont, Autodrom Most last corner before start/finish straight, Zolder second and third turn. This inconsistency exist before patch too, but now its stronger imo. I will try to increase AI level more, so I wil see.