General Setup Discussion

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Shadow997

Shadow997 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I have started again with R3E (or sim racing in general) after almost a year and im realy struggeling to keep temperature in my front tires of the GT3 Cars. The Picture below was taken after just one and a half lap of Monza.
    I was watching serveral youtube videos to find out if other people have the same issues but i cant find anyone how is using this ingame overlay to compare the tire temps.

Now im asking me am i doing anything wrong? Going faster trough the corners make me feel to overdrive the car, getting massiv understeer due to the low tire temps.
    Or is it somewhat like a bug?
    Any changes to the setup recommended?

with kind regarts
    Shadow

Attached Files:

2. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Fast circuits like Monza are not easy to keep heat in the tires. But since heat transferred from breaking, It will bring up their temps by braking harder.

3. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I'm also left with that question but then on the BMW Z4 ADAC 2015 the tires lose their temperature when leaving the pit and after 1 lap even more, have already done several setups but nothing helps, I asked thomas myself but none answer

4. Shadow997

Shadow997 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yep, event after a couple of laps i was still someware around 60-70°C at the front tires. At a race in Spa it was a little better and i got around 80°C in the corners but couldnt keep the temperature...

5. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    the GT3s have a very wide operating range currently, so there is nothing to worry about at 60-70c. Once tire pressures become available on them you will have to compensate by increasing the pressures in the cold tires, but that will come later :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Shadow997

Shadow997 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    rly? always though the optimum rang is 80-90°C. IS this just a R3R thing or is it in real life too?
    Well i think i have to work on my driving style and the driving line, if there is everything correct now^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eric Fogelström

Eric Fogelström New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anyone that could help out with a setup to any of the cars in the Oscaro competition? I have tried to tweak and all it does is to make it worse and worse so any help would be appreciated.

8. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Recently I have been researching and watching videos about all the adjustments that are available in game to learn and create my own setups. Toe adjustment is what I have been recently been reading on currently. What I’ve learned is that a positive toe for the. Front ..ex 1.0 will give better turn in since the wheels are angled away from the body. And a negative toe ex -1.0 is the opposite and would point inward.

I have noticed that a lot of cars in game have negative toe on the front and positive toe In the rear. Wouldn’t you want either a neutral toe or positive to prevent tire scrub?
    I mean maybe a touch of negative toe to help with stability in the straights.

9. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I think this toe-settings are often confused because it's easy to be musunderstood by saying "angled away from the body" since it depends if someone is talking about the front or the backside of a tire. If you talk about positive toe, than that's toe in. Looks like that (driving direction upward) /-----\
    Negative (i.e. toe out) looks like this
    \-----/
    In most cases you want a slight amount of out at front, and in at the back on a RWD car. Wouldn't mess around too much at the front, cause it's indeed rather subtle. Since grip comes from scrub you can change that scrubangle with your steering wheel on corner entry anyway. But you can't do that on the back to alter the behavior under power corner exit. So speaking for me, I just change the toe setting on the rearaxle slightly to more negative (but still staying positive!) If I want a car to rotate more under power. If the car is to tailhappy corner exit, I do the opposite (going even more positive).

Here's a nice reading http://racetrackdriving.com/car-setup/track-alignment/

• Like Like x 1
  10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You've got it the wrong way round. Negative is toe out. Correct you want toe out front and toe in or neutral rear

11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Lol after the first reply we do understand what you wrote :D:D

l already stated that the forum is sluggish. Not on my pc by the way, on my tablet it is. And there are more members experience the same problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yep posted from my phone, seems to be hanging up

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys for clearing that up. I know what positive vs negative is as a visual but get it wrong when it comes in degrees. I swear i found an picture on google when searching for a visual with degrees.

took me some searching but i found it. In this picture its showing the toe out with the + marking, which lead me to thing that point out was a positive number

upload_2019-10-20_9-8-13.png

14. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    The thing (afaik) is that in r3es setups you dont have a setting called toe but only one thats called toe in and then positive toe in is a toe in and negative toe in is a toe out

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    In the German Version it's just called "Spur" (i.e. track) This is how I memorized it:
    If the imaginary extensions of the tires intersect at a point in front of the car than it's positive (or toe in, Vorspur in german) If they intersect behind the car it's negative (toe out, Nachspur in german).

Nice video describing the resulting effects:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I don' t understand why there is no game that shows graphically what happens during setup. If I could see how the wheels direction changes during setup it would make setup easier and would cause less misunderstanding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    In LFS (live for speed) it was done like you said. While in the setup section, you could see in realtime what camber or toe chances would look like. You could even drop the car to see how your damper settings work and compare the oscillations at front and back of the car.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. miganmarra

miganmarra New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, I need a little help with the setup of a Cupra TCR. When I go for a long straight and lift the throttle for a fast curve (mount panorama or Macau type) the car closes from the front inwards. What should I touch so that this does not happen?

19. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Try keeping your right foot slightly on the throttle while touching the brake. You will be surprised how stable that feels through fast corners. Setupwise you could soften the rear anti rollbar and maximise your rear wing. But the biggest effect I believe is adapting the driving style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. miganmarra

miganmarra New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, after many tests I managed to stabilize it by touching the brake but I thought there would be some way to do it with the setup. I will try the stabilizer.