MMos vs Simucube 1 software for Direct Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys,

I only have experience with the MMos software using Small Mige direct drive ioni simucube board. So far it performs well. I am always open to trying something else but don't like to be disappointed. There is a lot of talk about Simucube 1 software and wondering if worth trying? If I do, what are the benefits and most importantly will it be good for Raceroom?

Your support is greatly appreciated.

2. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    for what I still know via SC office, it was good to change the decoder and SC1 board and then use the SC1 software, but that is already 3 years ago

3. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.
    I decided to give it a try and moved from MMos to the latest Simucube Firmware 0.50.4c. It took a day to get around it. I have to say I am pleased with the results in terms of driving feel BUT there is an issue that causes steering wheel to go off center when hitting walls or going over large curbs. This didn't happen in MMos so I presume Raceroom has nothing to do with it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon?

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Try to recalibrate your wheel. Had the same problem at one point and it disappeared after calibrating it again. Hope it helps.

5. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    To calibrate where exactly? In game edit assignment or Simucube?

6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    in the simucube software.

7. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Thanks mate. Unfortunately re-calibration didn't work. However, turning Jolt magnitude off at 0.0 value fixed this issue.

In addition, there is one more thing that need to be looked at? There is a little gear shifting issue found in Simucube 0.50.4c as shown in the video link below. Note that this happens only when the car is static. Please let us know if you have the same problem.

8. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Forgot to mention that Simucube for direct drive (latest version) is great and I am happy with the decision to make a move from MMos to Simucube. It is fair to say that MMos is a fantastic rock solid software. Unfortunately there are no features or support for MMos that is needed for the latest and greatest applications and one of those are detailed FFB and osculations fixes.

Therefore Simucube is the way to go!

9. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    did everything from reinstalling the firmware to flushing ioni drive and still the same issue occurs? not sure what could it be?

10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Hm. That sucks.
    I know I had this issue but I can't exactly remember how I got rid of it. Is your wheel still really tight on the servo shaft?
    Do you play in VR?
    What are your ffb settings in Raceroom and Simucube software? Maybe it has something to do with impact ffb effect. I know that I have turned that off, maybe for a reason.

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    The shaft is good, no movement.
    I have stronger gear shift effects set to 85 in Raceroom because I prefer that way. Overall ffb at 65 in raceroom.
    Jolt magnitude is at 0.0 as well as the pulling forces from the curbs are at 0.0. It seems that the problem is somehow related to jolts. Gear shifting is also under jolt category.

In Simucube I have
    Reconstruction filter set to 5,
    Torque bandwidth limit at 330hz,
    Damping 5%,
    Friction 2.5%,
    Sine wave 130%
    and the rest is at 0%.

Bumpstop max streingth at 100%
    Bumpstop effect Ramp 15
    Bumpstop damping 0%
    Latest firmware 0.50.4c

I tried previous firmware versions and all do the same?

12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The wheel turning is because the car is rolling back at an angle. As soon as you engage a gear the handbrake is released. You can see the car movement in your rear view monitor. It puts enough torque through the steering to turn the wheel, probably worse on high torque DD wheels. You could try adding more damper maybe, or increase the static force in the rcs file, although that could bring additional problems.

13. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    The wheel is turning for sure but the question is why the wheel goes to the left even when the car is not moving and also the wheel goes off centre when hitting the wall?

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The car will be creeping slightly, it even does this on TM wheels. Test by performing the same action but hold your foot on the brake, check movement on external camera. No idea about hitting the wall....that shouldn't happen unless suspension damage is accidentally turned on again (very unlikely)

15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I get what you are saying and you are right. Its just that something is wrong with shifting jolts and jolt magnitude when using Simucube. Can't workout what it could be? For the record, this wasnt the case in Mmos.

16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    My problem was that after hitting the wall I had to restart the game to have a centered wheel again, this can't be normal.

I will look up my ffb settings soon

17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Right...and now hitting the wall twice will re center the wheel. Funny but true.

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Sounds very odd, I know there are lots of lines in the RCS file relating to jolts and collisions so may be worth experimenting in there. I know Alex is working hard on the ffb especially now he has a fanatec DD wheel to play with and he said that it should translate well to other DD wheels so hopefully improvements are on the way. Can't say when though, when it's done it's done etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I believe that this issue is in Simucube and not Raceroom.
    So once again the issues are:
    1. Hitting the wall (with jolt magnitude even at minimum value) will result in off centering and also will produce constant plulling force to the left until hitting something again.
    2. Gear shifting effect, the same issue constant pulling force until some other effect or force kicks in.
    3. Jolt pulling force from the curb can produce steering off centering but mostly when you go over larger ones at high speed.
    Somehow all related to Jolts...very odd?

20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Alex sent this RCS file to try with these instructions...

No effects, no damping, all natural. Only recon at 1. 540
    MHz Unlimited

I assume that means something to you?

Attached Files: