Question ffb help

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Paul Metters, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Paul Metters

Paul Metters New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

New to raceroom, really liking it so far (coming from iRacing)
    I've been messing around with the ffb settings, browsed these forums and got some great tips to get my ffb 'almost' working really nice.

The one area where i'm really struggling is that every car ive tried, it feels like the car is 'floating' above the track. i feel zero bumps or anything in the road surface and that is really turning me off, it feels very project carsy if that makes any sense.

In iRacing, i can feel the road under me but in raceroom i feel absolutely nothing. Is there anything i can do to actually get the feeling like i'm on the road at all?

*EDIT* Forgot to add, i'm using a thrustmaster t300rs

Thanks in advance

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    this is very complicated as it very much depends on which car your driving , some of the older cars physics wise can feel floaty and getting a sweet spot can be hit and miss
    ive sent a message to one of the testers to see if they can share there settings

what you can try is playing with the vertical load , start at zero and go up a click at a time , have lateral at 100 , i use steering rack at 100 but dont have your wheel

Andi

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. Paul Metters

Paul Metters New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Andi,

Really appreciate your reply. I've checked most of the online resources, youtube videos etc and i really feel i am almost there with all my other ffb settings. it's just i cannot, for the life of me get the car feeling like its on track. I bought a couple of cars i know from other sim racing titles and a couple of tracks i know have a good few bumps etc but honestly, the car just feels like its gliding above the track, i don't feel any road bumps whatsoever. This alone will probably stop me from venturing too far down the raceroom road which is a shame because it really looks like it would be my cup of tea.

I'll keep on tinkering today and see how i get on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Don't give up so early. I also have the 300RS and am quite happy with my ffb settings so far. Though I keep fiddling with some values from time to time... Do you have everything on default in the Thrustmaster control panel? Another important thing to have adjusted correctly (and leaving it that way) is the min force. I have mine on 2% according to some "wheelcheck" maesurements. Maybe you're interested to try my ingame settings out: Ffb intensity 100%, tiny bit of damping for slowing down the wheel when snapping back in a drift : 20%, steering force around 70, understeer 20, vertical 40, lateral 50, steering rack 80 (lower and I don't feel understeer, higher and the wheel feels too light). The canned effects are a matter of taste, but for me slip effect of 40% adds some (fake) roughness of the road, especially under braking.
    If that feels too soft for all cars, only increase steering force while checking the raceroom built-in ffb-meter to avoid clipping. I assume you know, that you can also tweak that individually for every car per multiplier in it's steering settings in the Garage? Hope I could help!

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. Paul Metters

Paul Metters New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Not given up just yet but i'm close!! lol
    Literally every other ffb setting I've got dialed in exactly how i'd like it. The only thing left for me to do now is actually try and get to feel the road surface. Nothing i have done/changed gives that feeling of being on the road, except when going round corners etc, the ffb kicks in just lovely then. i want to feel the bumps in the road, want to feel like i'm driving on a road not hovering above it!

6. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Like @Andi Goodwin said, it's also a matter of which car you use (most important the state of physics it uses). On top of that the bumpiness of the surfaces is not the same on every track. I've seen in your profile that you have Circuit Zandvoort (some bumpy corners, especially the club layout right-hander) and the BMW M3 GT2 (newest physics). How does this combo feel? If you're still not feeling anything through your wheel going down the straight, you could try increasing your min force slightly or reduce damping. Maybe the upcoming december update brings some canges... End of Summer 2019 - Development notes

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. Paul Metters

Paul Metters New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks very much you guys! so i tested that combo and finally i am starting to actually feel the road, still need a bit of tweaking down the straights but cornering etc, can actually feel it. by far the best 'feel' i've had so far and gives me renewed hope!! :)

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. Paul Metters

Paul Metters New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Beef, Andi, can't thank you guys enough. I've been playing around with ffb settings, and finally have settings that are almost perfect. on a par and in some cases better than iRacing from whence i came, the ffb now and coupled with the webhud i've just discovered, it's a whole other experience. so much so that i'll probably purchase the remainder of the content i want and give raceroom a proper 'go'.

Looking into SRS and redline motorsport etc to get some proper action (not really one for public lobby troll fests) so just wanted to say thank you for all your help, you're both definitely credits to this forum community!

• Like Like x 1
  9. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Paul for your very kind words. Glad we could help improving your ffb sensation!

10. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Got to try this. Care to share your settings too?

Thanks @BeefMcQueen. To clarify, you have default 75 in TM control panel, and 70 in game for steering force? Maybe thats why I sometimes have to lower car specific gain, as I have control panel at 100.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  11. Paul Metters

Paul Metters New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey Sherpa25

So i've spent the best part of 3 days getting my ffb where i want it, it may not suit everybody but for me is absolutely perfect.

My thrustmaster Control panel settings are 75% overall, and 100% everything else including spring and damper.

I then used 'some' of the rcs file ffb settings from Jyri Kettunen on Racedepartment, the complete rcs file kept throwing up some errors with controllers i wasn't able to resolve so just copy/pasted the ffb section. on race department, there is a page that has the exact ffb section i copy/pasted into my existing controlset, it can be found here it's the 2nd post down on this page i believe. just copied this and pasted(overwrote) that section in my controlset. MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CONTROLSET FIRST just incase it goes tits up!obviously)

Thrustmaster t300rs settings

my ingame settings are;

ffb intensity 100%
    smoothing, spring,damper all 0%
    steering force intensity 85%

minimum force 5%
    understeer 40%
    vertical 75%
    lateral 45%
    steering rack 40%

slip 35%
    engine vibes 0%
    kerb vibes 20%
    shift 10&
    collision 30% (cos i don't really want to break my thumbs)

I'm still tinkering but this so far has got me smiling. i just had a race in iRacing and honestly, these settings beat that in all departments(apart from bumpy roads, i still can't get to feel many bumps in raceroom but i'm working on it)

Hope you find this useful, its certainly transformed raceroom for me. this was tested using the BMW GT2 car that Beef suggested to use and on zandvoort which again beef suggested.

I've also tested on a civic 2019 wtc and on spa, monza and hockenhiem. like i said, although i can't feel that many bumps, i'm getting there, everything else is fantastic!!

also tinkering with the steering settings in the actual car have helped. i start out with the default then adjust up or down as necessary.

12. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, will serve as another reference. I'm not sure all bumps are scanned/done well in some tracks, so maybe that's why they're not felt too well.

Update..question: Tried these & similar settings, GT2 at Zandvoort, feel some vibration while driving on a straight. What could be adjusted to reduce this, w/o reducing overall weight/feel?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019